Veynom

[MOD] Y-Wings Green & Blue Color Variants

After having modified the old Y-Wing from 1999 (pictures at the bottom of this post), I had decided to proceed similarly with the more recent 9495 version. This time I applied a dark green color pattern and some light additional greebling.

21601053214_b298cd5c4c_c.jpg

Y-Wing Green Squadron by Veynom, on Flickr

22223813675_a628f64a3a_c.jpg

This pictures shows some of the details that were added to the model:

22223817325_bab8a27d8c_c.jpg

22036065368_431fae5563_c.jpg

21601055654_aaf283e1f0_c.jpg

And the old blue modified version based on the official Lego set from 1999:

20384652363_8546f5c807_c.jpg

Y-Wing Blue by Veynom, on Flickr

20979483526_7798b335dc_c.jpg

Y-Wing Blue by Veynom, on Flickr

The main reason for these variants is variety of course. When exposing during a Lego fair, you may decide to have 4 or 5 yellow Y-Wings or have some unique ships. I think tend to believe the later is better for the public.

Comments welcome

I like the blue 99 model a lot, the newer dark green though, i think the dark green clashes a bit with the white in the engines/greebling, the photos either look overexposed (making the white look painfully bright), or underlit (making the green look nearly black), might be my screen though

I love the green version! Although I think, it's a little too much with the green making it look almost too colorful.

I am impressed how the blue one actually looks better than the green one even though it's the oldest Y wing model, I also think that the other one has to much green.

Thank you all for your constructive feedback. I had started to replace only the yellow bricks by the dark green ones. When seeing the result, I decided to expand further. The goal for me is to further explore the expanded universe by also showing ships that would have their place inside the SW universe.

Note that with the recent mixel serie, I am contemplating building a purple version...

I really like color swapping. It's not alays easy to find to good pieces with the good colors, but you did very well ! :wink:

I'm in the process of my own green variant. Yours is certainly more accurate, I had to take some liberties with the design due to my parts selection. Dark green looks fantastic on these, and the green squadron A-Wing needs some company.

post-19321-0-67073600-1449109390_thumb.jpg

Edited by bootz

I'm in the process of my own green variant. Yours is certainly more accurate, I had to take some liberties with the design due to my parts selection. Dark green looks fantastic on these, and the green squadron A-Wing needs some company.

Nice start !!!

You managed to make a green A-Wing ? I only made blue, yellow, black and have parts for fullwhite/bley/dark bley. No chance for dark green or orange.

Nice start !!!

You managed to make a green A-Wing ? I only made blue, yellow, black and have parts for fullwhite/bley/dark bley. No chance for dark green or orange.

Yeah, I was digging through my brother's bins while looking for parts to build A-Wings and I came across all these dark green pieces he clearly couldn't find a use for. I had the engines for my 7150 Y-Wing just waiting for me to rebuild the ship between them, so I decided to just do a green/yellow one based on the Gold Leader instructions. I think it's coming along nicely given that I'm spending more time looking for parts than I am building.

Ooo, I typed that all up and then realized you said A-wing. I have the one from the Mon Calamari Cruiser set, though I built a blue/white A-wing based on that set, inspired by Phoenix Squadron. I'm thinking about building a yellow one next.

Edited by bootz

Looks great! I like both your Y-Wings, but the green one is a little better, probably because the older design just looks a little less detailed. I think they still need some landing gear though, I can't understand why these birds never had any feet to begin with.