Lego Dino 500

A better alternative to baseplates?

I was just filling out a PaB cup full of white 4x6 plates for a Winter Village layout, and I found something interesting. By just using the 4x6 or 4x4 plates and bricks to support the elevations, you can create extremely dynamic and realistic landscaping that's actually cheaper than using standard 32x32 baseplates. Using the typical cost of 9 cents per 4x4 plate in regular green compared to the cost of $7.99 of the new 32x32 bright green baseplates, you can divide the $7.99 cost of a 32x32 baseplate with an area of 1024 studs by $0.9 to get 11 plates per dollar, each with an area of 16 studs. Multiply this by 8 to get a cost of $7.99 for a baseplate compared to 88 4x4 plates for $7.92, which has a combined area of 1,408 studs, for 8 cents cheaper not counting shipping. Even though it is a bit more fragile, it can also be easily reinforced with bricks and plates on the bottom, and with a elevation of 4 plates, you can easily place 1x2 technic bricks to modularize your layout. Would this be a more feasible way to do landscaping on our layouts compared to the baseplates we currently use? Theoretically it could eliminate the need for baseplates entirely, aside from using road plates to model roads and highways. Sorry if this is already established, I've seen it used in dioramas and models, but never in such a scale.

Here's a few photos of a piece of modular landscape built with this method.

lego_landscape_frontshot2.png

The slope of the plates can also be leveled out at any height and secured with bricks, but you can also use the continuous slope to create forced perspective on smaller or shelf layouts.

lego_landscape_front_shot.png

You can also stretch out the plates up to 3 studs per layer and plate allowing you to create steep slopes or flat planes.

lego_landscape_undershot.png

This is what the understructure looks like, using various assorted plates and bricks to support the inclined terrain. This example was built using 40 4x4 plates, and can be extended further and this method is sturdier than using baseplates which can rarely split, bend, or warp shape.

Besides being a great idea for "home use " , I've got a minor problem with this solution.

Being an builder I need to move pieces of landscape all over the house... so while this looks great, it doesn't have the support needed to move it around safe. It's not "stackable" like I do with baseplated scenery.. thus breaking down very easy.

Baseplates are expensive, I know, but sadly I need them for my diorama's .. I check local shops for cheap baseplates, rummage sales, or whatever channel I can... And like most builders... We want results, not the boring part of building from the ground up.

But hey !! Like the idea, I see a lot of potential here !

Grtz Saint

Besides being a great idea for "home use " , I've got a minor problem with this solution.

Being an builder I need to move pieces of landscape all over the house... so while this looks great, it doesn't have the support needed to move it around safe. It's not "stackable" like I do with baseplated scenery.. thus breaking down very easy.

Baseplates are expensive, I know, but sadly I need them for my diorama's .. I check local shops for cheap baseplates, rummage sales, or whatever channel I can... And like most builders... We want results, not the boring part of building from the ground up.

But hey !! Like the idea, I see a lot of potential here !

Grtz Saint

I have a piece of it built from white 4x6 plates, and it's definitely more than sturdy if you're careful how you handle it. I haven't gotten a chance to mount any buildings to it, but it definitely seems strong enough as long as you properly support and hold the piece, same as the baseplates.

Well, I put them in the car... drive an hour to the show... very bumpy roads, spend half the day building and setting up... so I don't want to worry about too much.... building on baseplates takes that worry away.... I lay them flat in the car, or stack them without any worry. :wink:

Not forgetting I build on 48x48's ... and in a few years it's grown to 18 baseplates, so IMHO, 18 things not to worry about :laugh:

Grtz Saint

Well, I put them in the car... drive an hour to the show... very bumpy roads, spend half the day building and setting up... so I don't want to worry about too much.... building on baseplates takes that worry away.... I lay them flat in the car, or stack them without any worry. :wink:

Not forgetting I build on 48x48's ... and in a few years it's grown to 18 baseplates, so IMHO, 18 things not to worry about :laugh:

Grtz Saint

Oh. I guess when you have that many baseplates already and have to move them around that much, it's much more convenient. I have extremely limited access to them and don't like the new bright green, so I came up with this. I'm sure if I loaded up my prototype sample with plates and bricks on the bottom it could be sturdy, but I designed this for a stationary layout with as few pieces to keep it as simple and inexpensive to brick link as I could.

That's why it's a great idea... for "homebuilders"... not to be negative :wink: .

If I had acces to a LegoStore withing 15 km ( and not an hours drive away ) I would concider it too ! :wink:

grtz Saint

I was just filling out a PaB cup full of white 4x6 plates for a Winter Village layout, and I found something interesting. By just using the 4x6 or 4x4 plates and bricks to support the elevations, you can create extremely dynamic and realistic landscaping that's actually cheaper than using standard 32x32 baseplates. Using the typical cost of 9 cents per 4x4 plate in regular green compared to the cost of $7.99 of the new 32x32 bright green baseplates, you can divide the $7.99 cost of a 32x32 baseplate with an area of 1024 studs by $0.9 to get 11 plates per dollar, each with an area of 16 studs. Multiply this by 8 to get a cost of $7.99 for a baseplate compared to 88 4x4 plates for $7.92, which has a combined area of 1,408 studs, for 8 cents cheaper not counting shipping. Even though it is a bit more fragile, it can also be easily reinforced with bricks and plates on the bottom, and with a elevation of 4 plates, you can easily place 1x2 technic bricks to modularize your layout. Would this be a more feasible way to do landscaping on our layouts compared to the baseplates we currently use? Theoretically it could eliminate the need for baseplates entirely, aside from using road plates to model roads and highways. Sorry if this is already established, I've seen it used in dioramas and models, but never in such a scale.

Here's a few photos of a piece of modular landscape built with this method.

Love the idea and now understand what you were talking about in my thread - definitely going to consider this if I can get the plates cheap enough here in Australia.

This is definitely a good idea for clubs that are invested in green baseplates (which are currently unavailable) to expand more green space without investing in more discontinued green BP. It also offers the opportunity to add some interesting small elevation changes and these small slopes could be built to completely cover baseplates in other colors/discolorations/decorations for added sturdiness.

This is definitely a good idea for clubs that are invested in green baseplates (which are currently unavailable) to expand more green space without investing in more discontinued green BP. It also offers the opportunity to add some interesting small elevation changes and these small slopes could be built to completely cover baseplates in other colors/discolorations/decorations for added sturdiness.

Green Base plates are available.. at least in EU:

http://shop.lego.com/en-DK/Green-Baseplate-10700?fromListing=listing

I think your technique can also be used to cover up different colored base plates too. And at the same time provided a strong foundation to move the MOCs from place to place. :classic:

Green Base plates are available.. at least in EU:

http://shop.lego.com...Listing=listing

Did they go back to original green for the base plate now? The green in the image and the actual product in the stores or shipped is not the same. The current plate is light lime green. Different shade than what a lot of people or LUGs accumulated over the years.

Would this be a more feasible way to do landscaping on our layouts compared to the baseplates we currently use? Theoretically it could eliminate the need for baseplates entirely, aside from using road plates to model roads and highways.

Well, having been involved with a lot of collaborative displays for large events I would have to say the answer to your question is, not really.

Baseplates are not only the substrate that allows for easy movement of chunks of landscaping but they are also a measurement system and integral to the planning of most layouts. Whether you are building using the Modular House Standard or the Base8 modular landscaping standard or other similar systems for mapping out terrain it makes the most sense to use the 32x32 baseplate to cover large areas.

Using plates as you are doing makes for excellent terrain at a reasonable price but I don't see it replacing baseplates.

Since Lego has blessed us with a money grab for new ugly base plates that do not match the old and it seems the price has risen on the as well.

I hope everyone here gives the knock off ones a shot. I'm tempted especially if the color matches and they prove to be an adequate replacement.

Well, having been involved with a lot of collaborative displays for large events I would have to say the answer to your question is, not really.

Baseplates are not only the substrate that allows for easy movement of chunks of landscaping but they are also a measurement system and integral to the planning of most layouts. Whether you are building using the Modular House Standard or the Base8 modular landscaping standard or other similar systems for mapping out terrain it makes the most sense to use the 32x32 baseplate to cover large areas.

Using plates as you are doing makes for excellent terrain at a reasonable price but I don't see it replacing baseplates.

Huh, I didn't know about the Base8 standard. But the point is, this isn't dependent on 32x32 baseplates which have changed color to bright free, and have gone up in cost making it somewhat unfeasible and ugly for us that don't have extensive amounts of the old ones. And as soon as I can get more bricks in about a month or so, I'm going to be picking up as many white 4x6 plates for a snowy train layout to fully test this concept.

^ Colour is almost irrelevant in landscaping as good landscaping does not use plain baseplates. If I had my choice I would go with mostly blue baseplates to allow for ponds, rivers, streams, lakes, oceanfront etc. where the lowest level is "water".

This also means that dirty, marked up, slightly damaged baseplates bought used at garage sales are totally fine so the cost argument is not so strong.