Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I have a suspicion that names might be ambiguous on purpose. As we have seen again the past weeks, set names are the first to leak. Calling something a formula off-roader could be a strategy to keep competition in the dark for a little bit longer.

In the cases where names are very specific, like the Unimog, the upcoming Claas and Volvo, TLG is even more protective about set information and images.

On the other hand, it might just be the result of a language barrier. In my home country the word "digger" could apply to several very different machines like a dozer, a back-hoe, a front-end loader or an excavator. Same thing with the word "crane", which is used for excavators as well as mobile, crawler and tower cranes. I guess that every language and every region will have those differences in interpretation.

A side note: I find that we are becoming increasingly critical towards TLG, to the point that they can't seem to get it right (in AFOLs' eyes): We complain about boring color schemes, TLG gives us new colors and we complain about ugly combinations. We complain about too similar machines in each release, TLG gives us variation, we complain about lack of realism.

My opinion: TLG is really putting in a lot of effort to keep things fresh with new parts, colors, machine variations and licenses. It might not be to everyone's taste, but when I look at my collection, I seem to buy more and more sets with each new release, so they must be doing something right.

All very good points. But you can't really please everyone and on the whole the reaction to these pics has been pretty positive. I don't usually find the very small sets that appealing but the go kart does look really good. I am eager to see exactly how they have done the gearbox.

Regarding the mining loader, I find it kind of odd that a presumably $50 set, or even a $35 set if it is around 350 parts would have no mechanism for moving the arm aside from a manual lever right on the arm. If that is the case, I find that to be bullpucky. What's more, it does not appear that the claw can tilt, whereas a real loader would have the ability to tilt whatever attachment it had. Excuse me for sounding grumpy, but I think that it's Lego being lazy like 42037. If you're going to make something up, make something up, and don't call a sand rail a formula off roader. I don't understand why they could not make it with a bucket like, I dunno, an actual mining loader, or call it a waste handler or something like that, but no, they have to call a fish a fowl. I have to wonder if the sets are named by the marketing team, who might not be familiar with what vehicles the sets represent, especially for something like this.

The mine loader will be more like 450 pieces not only 350 and will costs nearly 40, but i agree with you to 100%. They do have become lazy and taking shortcuts, the playable factor with this loader for a kid will be kinda poor, since the claw will barely move from the ground it cannot even put the load on a cargo bed of a truck, The ideal design would ofcourse been with a bucket like you said and a geared realistic full length lifting capacity, not just a simple lock mechanism that barely moves from the ground.

But i still like it, looks kinda unique.

..., the playable factor with this loader for a kid will be kinda poor, since the claw will barely move from the ground it cannot even put the load on a cargo bed of a truck, The ideal design would ofcourse been with a bucket like you said and a geared realistic full length lifting capacity, not just a simple lock mechanism that barely moves from the ground.

Maybe I missed something in this discussion, but are we really sure that the arm can't be raised by a mechanism not visible in the image?

The pictures disappeared from Brickset. Any other link please?

Edit: I got them now from google. On TheBrickfan.com it is mentioned that TLG is asking sites to remove the pictures. I bet its because of the guy who built the 42049 :classic:

Edited by Samer

I have a suspicion that names might be ambiguous on purpose. As we have seen again the past weeks, set names are the first to leak. Calling something a formula off-roader could be a strategy to keep competition in the dark for a little bit longer.

In the cases where names are very specific, like the Unimog, the upcoming Claas and Volvo, TLG is even more protective about set information and images.

On the other hand, it might just be the result of a language barrier. In my home country the word "digger" could apply to several very different machines like a dozer, a back-hoe, a front-end loader or an excavator. Same thing with the word "crane", which is used for excavators as well as mobile, crawler and tower cranes. I guess that every language and every region will have those differences in interpretation.

A side note: I find that we are becoming increasingly critical towards TLG, to the point that they can't seem to get it right (in AFOLs' eyes): We complain about boring color schemes, TLG gives us new colors and we complain about ugly combinations. We complain about too similar machines in each release, TLG gives us variation, we complain about lack of realism.

My opinion: TLG is really putting in a lot of effort to keep things fresh with new parts, colors, machine variations and licenses. It might not be to everyone's taste, but when I look at my collection, I seem to buy more and more sets with each new release, so they must be doing something right.

So you are TLG employee? :classic: just joking.

I agree with you! I think we are being to critical, we are getting new parts or parts in different colors every year that improve out MOC's a little or a lot, e.g. 42043. Also I think they are trying to make things more affordable- smaller, but have a few lager or BIG sets, so people with smaller budgets can get them. Dont they make small set one year and make big set another almost every time? or am I crazy?

So you are TLG employee? :classic: just joking.

Haha, I wish (I really do). No, "unfortunatly" I'm just a regular AFOL who thought TLG creations needed some positive support.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I bet its because of the guy who built the 42049 :classic:
Could it be replica is better than the actual set? :laugh:

It is unknown what triggered this request to remove pics, one of the ideas was (unrelated) leak of Cosmic Boy figure, which would make more sense.

Maybe they let us see pics intentionally to gather some feedback before final release, and now they want us to forget about those pics as the final release could have changes, though I am not sure what changes they could make so close to release. But then, why this cloak and dagger stuff instead of just asking? Or maybe they just didn't think somebody wouldn't find them in their website cache :laugh: .

Could it be replica is better than the actual set? :laugh:

It is unknown what triggered this request to remove pics, one of the ideas was (unrelated) leak of Cosmic Boy figure, which would make more sense.

Cosmic Boy? What was/is that? A new Marvel thing or similar?

Edit: a simple Google search let me find it. It's a new DC superheros thing.

Edited by Saberwing40k

Cosmic Boy? What was/is that? A new Marvel thing or similar?

Edit: a simple Google search let me find it. It's a new DC superheros thing.

Yes, you are correct. There is discussion at Brickset and Huw has shared some details and thoughts.

Everything is just marketing guys... TLG marketing... if anyone think that the leaked images are really leaked is wrong... it's just TLG commercial as well as it Car makers do... Spy photos... :) ... no spy photos... no leaked images... just marketing play... to be public discussed... to make viral commercial... ;)

Max...

Everything is just marketing guys... TLG marketing... if anyone think that the leaked images are really leaked is wrong... it's just TLG commercial as well as it Car makers do... Spy photos... :) ... no spy photos... no leaked images... just marketing play... to be public discussed... to make viral commercial... ;)

Max...

Exactly

Haha! not anymore :wink:

Max...

Agreed!

Came across this today

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/71919

Could this be close to what the Class Xerion looks like? or is?

do you think TLG would put in it 5 PF motors as it is been described on the image in the link you provided ?

This is a reproduction of the legendary isodiametric tractor Claas "Xerion" 5000.

The model is equipped with five PF motors:

-2 Power Function Motors XL for the 4x4 wheel-drive

-2 Power Functions "M" Motors for the front and rear linkage

-1 Power Functions Servo Motor for the steering.

Came across this today

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/71919

Could this be close to what the Class Xerion looks like? or is?

I don't think so. That model has PF and is mostly a System shell with Technic underpinnings. I think that the actual set would look more like this:

claas_xerion_007.jpg

It would be more like this, but with some newer pieces, particularly the fenders, and maybe without pneumatics. I don't see a set like this with PF, at least not full RC. I also don't see this set as just being the tractor, even if they somehow implemented hybrid steering and the cab moving. I don't really find a tractor that interesting on its own as a set. So, if it indeed had some implements, what would you like to see?

do you think TLG would put in it 5 PF motors as it is been described on the image in the link you provided ?

This is a reproduction of the legendary isodiametric tractor Claas "Xerion" 5000.

The model is equipped with five PF motors:

-2 Power Function Motors XL for the 4x4 wheel-drive

-2 Power Functions "M" Motors for the front and rear linkage

-1 Power Functions Servo Motor for the steering.

I mean without the PF or RC

I don't think so. That model has PF and is mostly a System shell with Technic underpinnings. I think that the actual set would look more like this:

It would be more like this, but with some newer pieces, particularly the fenders, and maybe without pneumatics. I don't see a set like this with PF, at least not full RC. I also don't see this set as just being the tractor, even if they somehow implemented hybrid steering and the cab moving. I don't really find a tractor that interesting on its own as a set. So, if it indeed had some implements, what would you like to see?

If it is the first of the 2H sets (which means the excavator is the 1H flagship) then it would be a mid size set only and no PF what so ever, but no matter what size it going to be i still do think it could have some cool feauters i.e cab moving and a steering option - normal or crab steering.

I'm building the race kart!

Interesting that I started trying to build the race kart last night too.

So far I've got this:

img_3579.jpg

Having not figured out the steering mechanism, the rear part of the car is hard to build too. :laugh: