bonox

So who likes the new Bricklink skin?

It's taking me a while to work around the new layout, particularly the catalogue :grin:

it looks like it will take time to get used to, but it had to change anyway, BL was looking very poor compared to BrickOwl

Every change has its learning curve, I'll find out next time I need to order something.

I wish they would update their forums, geez, it's so archaic, a bulletin board! It's painful.

It looks ok. I was fine with the old skin. I miss the "list of stores" quicklink, now have to get used to clicking on Buy.

Background is too white. I liked the darker color. Is there anyway to change that?

Turn down the brightness on your monitor. I don't think they give you different skin options. Browsing Bricklink at night in bed is going to annoy my spouse. :laugh:

Ooh, I like this. I'm a sucker for a cleaner UI design - even though Windows 8 and 8.1 didn't work well at all on a non-touchable device (IMO), I did like the style choices a lot.

Background is too white. I liked the darker color. Is there anyway to change that?

There is option to chose dark background

On the item screen it doesn't list all the colors below, instead in a popup menu that has to be scrolled through. Definitely displeased with that. I see that they do have the colors, just on another tab below that isn't selected by default. Also on the Add to wanted list screen it doesn't seem to list the known colors of an item anymore, just every color in the popup menu. I wish I had done these few orders I've been wanting to do a week ago, before this change.

Edited by Prairie

It looks good and is long overdue. However, there doesn't seem to be any new functionality at a first glance. I hope they have fixed that annoying bug with the shopping cart getting automatically emptied after several hours.

Also, they need to bring back that minifig with the trashcan on his head. :grin:

Edited by CP5670

I preferred the old one. The colors were quite pleasing to the eye, and it was easy to navigate.

Now, it's a blinding mess of white.

At least Brickset's update had colors...

It's OK once you set the dark background, although that unfortunately only affects the non-used part of the screen.

Frankly, it's different, which is what most people have a problem with - even if it were better, most people would gripe because they're accustomed to a certain way. Trying to be objective, I don't think it's any better or worse, just different, but I like to think they made some of the changes as a step towards actual usability improvements.

I was initially disappointed with what at first appeared to be a mere rework of the site's header and footer; particularly after seeing the past horror of HTML that used deprecated methods of specifying colours and CSS rules in attributes. I'm happy to see that the new Catalogue Detail Page is finally making use of CSS classes, because it shows early promise of a site that will be a lot easier to customise through browser add-ons like Stylish or Greasemonkey.

Frankly, it's different, which is what most people have a problem with - even if it were better, most people would gripe because they're accustomed to a certain way.

Pretty much this. It takes people awhile to get accustomed to anything new, especially if they are familiar with something and have been using it a long time.

I remember when I first came out of my dark ages and found BrickLink. I couldn't believe it was a site that had hundreds of thousand of users. It literally looked like something someone would make in a intro to web design class. The new face lift definitely looks a little more fresh and not quite as out dated.

Frankly, it's different, which is what most people have a problem with - even if it were better, most people would gripe because they're accustomed to a certain way.

The problem I have is how the site went from looking like a site that I'd actually want to hang out on to looking like a cheap, generic looking site that I don't want to even go on anymore.

I don't have a choice due to 1 reason. Since theres no Lego store(s) anywhere close to us(6 hours away by car), I can't just go to a Lego store for minifigure parts or pab wall stuff and eBay and flea markets don't really pan out much for me. If we ever get a Lego store in these parts and the BL site still looks like this, then my chances of hitting bl again will plummet.

Anyone else finding in Search clicking the drop down list for the Condition don't seem to work under Firefox v39? Typing an "N" for new seem to make the drop down list appear.

I never thought web design (like in choice of colors not coding and functionality) to be such an important thing, or that it could affect the divisions of the users of a certain web service!

BL has always been one of the most outdated looking websites I use, yet it’s been one of the most important and most frequently visited, it was and will always be the number one LEGO website because it provides the best service and value for my hobby, and I can’t imagine that it’s importance would suddenly decline because it changed the color of the background!

That being said, I really like the fresh new look of the already awesome site, it made me smile to see how the new owners of the site keep trying to improve things.

That being said, I really like the fresh new look of the already awesome site, it made me smile to see how the new owners of the site keep trying to improve things.

I have seen the preview site, and also the list of things they're supposed to be changing, and I think this might just be a first step towards actually improving functionality, like making it more usable on mobile devices.

The site design (with due respect to Daniel Jezek) creates a fixed area in which he forces things to line up a particular way; one of the points of HTML is to allow content to adjust to the user, not force the other way around... have you ever visited a site that told you do use a certain resolution? "This site best viewed at XxY?" Daniel did a great job on the back end at the time, and the site is popular because it's useful, but it violated a lot of web design guidelines (which exist for a reason). As someone pointed out, even their forum is like first generation web forums, and clunky to use. The problem with the redesign is that they have not fundamentally fixed any of that. At the same time, even huge sites like CNN.com have fixed widths... terrible, but CNN also has a functional mobile version.

But I also think it's just a first step, and I think they may have changed a few things - like when you're looking at an item in the catalog and have the tabs below for colors and price guide, that it's meant to help mobile devices. Some of the other design ideas that are coming I think are actually to help usability and not just freshen the look.

Let's be honest - as a computer programmer, I'm taking functionality over form any day, but BL didn't just look like it was from 20 years ago, it functioned like it (and still does, for the most part).

Good point about the mobile version, it’s a pain to use since the site was created way before the smart phone era, I hope they improve that, that’s much more important than cosmetic changes, and I’m sure they will.

I'm really happy with the change. The old design was seriously old--to the point of embarrassment. I'm using Bricklink more and more, and I think this new look will help keep it relevant, what with competitors showing up.