Inspired by the recently posted video and build instructions here on Eurobricks for Akiyuki's Ball Factory, I have reverse engineered Akiyuki's Cup-to-Cup GBC. It has been built with parts which I had available at the time, so it is a mixture of colours at the moment;

The next steps are

1) model it using MLCAD to produce an appropriate LDraw file

2) use BrickLink to obtain the appropriate parts (to reduce the colour mixture)

3) create build instructions using LPub and test them using the parts bought in step 2

4) make the build instructions available for others

It will likely be a few weeks before I get to step 4 but once I get there, I will post appropriate links in this topic.

Regards,

David

Edited by djm

I applaud the initiative and effort. However, if I may be 'candid', that contraption is one of the easiest to replicate. If you want to spend several hours reversing a GBC, try something a bit more 'elaborate', and many more will be appreciative of your efforts. Also, on a sister forum (doktor-brick), some members have already replicated many of akiyuki's marvels.

I applaud the initiative and effort. However, if I may be 'candid', that contraption is one of the easiest to replicate. If you want to spend several hours reversing a GBC, try something a bit more 'elaborate', and many more will be appreciative of your efforts. Also, on a sister forum (doktor-brick), some members have already replicated many of akiyuki's marvels.

If this is your best attempt at a positive comment then maybe a comment wasnt neccesary. "If you havent anything positive to say then say nothing"

Unfortunately my dodgy internet wont let me view the video at present, hopefully I may be able to see it later when the weather improves.

Inspired by the recently posted video and build instructions here on Eurobricks for Akiyuki's Ball Factory, I have reverse engineered Akiyuki's Cup-to-Cup GBC. It has been built with parts which I had available at the time, so it is a mixture of colours at the moment;

The next steps are

1) model it using MLCAD to produce an appropriate LDraw file

2) use BrickLink to obtain the appropriate parts (to reduce the colour mixture)

3) create build instructions using LPub and test them using the parts bought in step 2

4) make the build instructions available for others

It will likely be a few weeks before I get to step 4 but once I get there, I will post appropriate links in this topic.

Regards,

David

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I have been able to watch it now, hope you will have it at the christchurch show, looks an interesting module, I hope to start building a module for next years show.

If this is your best attempt at a positive comment then maybe a comment wasnt neccesary. "If you havent anything positive to say then say nothing"

Unfortunately my dodgy internet wont let me view the video at present, hopefully I may be able to see it later when the weather improves.

There we go again, another one who simply can't read english. Did you READ my opening line? Doh, lighten up, and grow some skin! But, then again, you must be a teenager going through hormonal changes .... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Edited by DrJB

Totally disagree. This model was a very good choice! It is so elegant.

Wow, thanks for the effort! I know how much work it is to create instructions and Akiyuki's models are amazing to build. Really looking forward to your Step 4. It would be fantastic if we eventually had a library of instructions for all of them.

... try something a bit more 'elaborate', and many more will be appreciative of your efforts. Also, on a sister forum (doktor-brick), some members have already replicated many of akiyuki's marvels.

This is my first attempt at reverse engineering/building a GBC module. Under the circumstances, it seemed sensible to pick a less elaborate one so that it remained in the "do-able" domain.

When I contemplated doing this, I did search doctor-brick for build instructions. The thread I searched was http://www.doktor-br...hread/?pageNo=1 but I did not find anything for the Cup-to-cup module. If I missed it, I'm looking in the wrong place or you are aware of somewhere that the build instructions are available, please provide a link to them as it will save my time and effort on doing unnecessary work.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I have been able to watch it now, hope you will have it at the christchurch show, looks an interesting module, I hope to start building a module for next years show.

I'm in Auckland, so wasn't planning on going to the Christchurch show. I must try to hook up with the Auckland LUG though as I know they have a display scheduled for August and a show over Labour weekend.

This model was a very good choice! It is so elegant.

Indeed. The elegant motion of the balls moving from cup to cup is what caught my eye.

Wow, thanks for the effort! I know how much work it is to create instructions and Akiyuki's models are amazing to build. Really looking forward to your Step 4. It would be fantastic if we eventually had a library of instructions for all of them.

Well thanks back to you. Both your and "The Rebrickable"'s effort on Akiyuki's Ball Factory are orders of magnitude greater than my effort for this. I was of a similar mind that it would be great to have a library of build instructions for Akiyuki's masterpieces. I'm glad to be able to be contribute.

Regards,

David

This is my first attempt at reverse engineering/building a GBC module. Under the circumstances, it seemed sensible to pick a less elaborate one so that it remained in the "do-able" domain.

When I contemplated doing this, I did search doctor-brick for build instructions. The thread I searched was http://www.doktor-br...hread/?pageNo=1 but I did not find anything for the Cup-to-cup module. If I missed it, I'm looking in the wrong place or you are aware of somewhere that the build instructions are available, please provide a link to them as it will save my time and effort on doing unnecessary work.

My mistake then. If this is your first GBC, then by all means please go for it. The cup-to-cup is one of the first GBCs of Akiyuki's I've replicated. I thought the mechanism was 'simpler' than others, but that's only me. Of course, I did not do any of the fancy 'architectural/styling' work around that mechanism.

As for the Doktor-Brick site, the last time I checked, they did not have the cup-to-cup GBC, but they have many others from Akiyuki.

Unlike how it was 'interpreted' by others, my original post was not meant to discourage you from such endeavor. On the contrary, I was merely suggesting a different approach (from my own experience). In any event, whatever you chose to do, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

All the Best,

JB

Edited by DrJB

That would be fantastic indeed. And, I don't just mean a bunch of GBC instructions, but a pile of GBC modules (not only Akiyuki's) instructions all with the same visual style.

Ah well, we can always dream :sweet:

@djm:

Good luck with creating the instructions! I personally know it can be quite some work :grin:

If you have any questions about it, you can leave them here. :classic:

Good work re-engineering the module. Good luck with the instructions.

Better buy those expensive light reflector dish now before demand goes up and supply goes down. :wink:

Better buy those expensive light reflector dish now before demand goes up and supply goes down. :wink:

There were 6 available in The Netherlands this afternoon for a reasonable price (1.04 euro).

This evening they were all sold :(

I suspect some other Dutch reader of this topic bought them...

Next time I have to be faster!

Looking forward to your instructions for the cup to cup - thanks in advance for your efforts.

Edited by OneMoreRobot

There were 6 available in The Netherlands this afternoon for a reasonable price (1.04 euro).

This evening they were all sold :(

I suspect some other Dutch reader of this topic bought them...

Next time I have to be faster!

Guilty. Had some already but they can also be used in other GBCs.

I'm a bit surprised no one has used the part below 57702 in any GBC. It sounds VERY promising, and there seems to be few available on BL.

57702.jpg

Edited by DrJB

I'm a bit surprised no one has used the part below 57702 in any GBC. It sounds VERY promising, and there seems to be few available on BL.

57702.jpg

I've tried them quickly last year and wasn't successful in transfering balls like cup to cup. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.

I've tried them quickly last year and wasn't successful in transfering balls like cup to cup. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.

I did do a trawl through the BrickLink parts catalogue to try to find an alternative part to the dish. The only thing that I found that might work is the 2 x 2 x 2 barrel 2489, though this is simply supposition.

2489.jpg?1

The throat of the barrel is a little smaller than that of the dish but the ball does seem to sit in it. (Yes, Mr Saddo has some of these barrels, so I just went and checked to see if it would fit). It would be nice if the barrels did work, as they are in plentiful supply but I want to get the building instructions completed (cracks whip) before I head off on a tangent.

David

Edited by djm

Another trawl through the Bricklink catalog turned up a couple of other possible alternatives (for investigation later on);

(1)

30151b.JPG

(2)

15395.JPG

I have a couple of (1) and one of (2). I can use them to trial whether or not they work as desired. The GBC ball fits into (1) better than into (2).

David

I've seen a friend on facebook make one, using the barrels.. since the ball sits higher, it took a bit of arm movement underneath to get it to pass the balls reliably... but it did work! I was thinking of making this module.. but haven't decided whether to buy the reflectors, or try another part.. I have quite a few of the 30151b's.. so I might try that

I did do a trawl through the BrickLink parts catalogue to try to find an alternative part to the dish. The only thing that I found that might work is the 2 x 2 x 2 barrel 2489, though this is simply supposition.

The throat of the barrel is a little smaller than that of the dish but the ball does seem to sit in it. (Yes, Mr Saddo has some of these barrels, so I just went and checked to see if it would fit). It would be nice if the barrels did work, as they are in plentiful supply but I want to get the building instructions completed (cracks whip) before I head off on a tangent.

David

Barrel is a good idea. They have a Technic axle hole in the bottom. I have a PAB cup of them somewhere. :classic:

The rebuild using non-rainbow colours is complete:

cup_to_cup_2015-08-04.jpg

The build instructions have been written and checked. There are a couple of tweaks to the instructions, which I plan to do this week. I expect to post the build instructions both as a PDF and a LDraw MPD file later this week.

Regards,

David