The main problem you will have is thrust. With enough thrust you can make anything fly - even concrete blocks. There is no viable way to get enough thrust from Lego components. :wink:

Exactly, which is why the Jet Engine style Ducted fans I'm using are going to be the only part of the plane with 80% non Lego parts

We're looking for a perfect balance of having plenty of thrust and being light enough to fly like a real airliner

The main problem you will have is thrust. With enough thrust you can make anything fly - even concrete blocks. There is no viable way to get enough thrust from Lego components. :wink:

So true. That is why tortoises only travel slowly. Their shell is aerofoil-shaped and given enough forward speed they would develop lift. :laugh:

So true. That is why tortoises only travel slowly. Their shell is aerofoil-shaped and given enough forward speed they would develop lift. :laugh:

lol but seriously, I do have intentions on making this thing fly

post-138259-0-78173400-1434475221_thumb.jpgpost-138259-0-78173400-1434475221_thumb.jpg

True... But then it's got wings and jet engines so :/

What I have to do is make a lightweight structure, but rigid, that's the main engineering problem with the airplane right now, but I have faith that me and my friends will be able to overcome that problem

I don't think making a structure strong enough is the problem. Even if you somehow manage to get enough thrust, the problem is control. The control surfaces can't possibly have discrete enough control to be usable, and that means even in the event the plane takes off its survival will be short.

Don't forget to run the numbers. It is easy to figure out how much thrust you need for a given weight and wing area, and it is easy to figure out how much current you need to get that thrust. Both numbers will be wildly prohibitive by probably two orders of magnitude. Don't forget to size your control surfaces to be large enough at the plane's flight speed and calculate how much motion they need. You'll need to be able to control them to fractions of a degree. Pneumatics are useless because they don't allow absolute positioning, only force.

It is perfectly true that anything can "fly" with enough thrust, but I think the amount of thrust and current you will need will be in the hundreds of amps.

I don't think making a structure strong enough is the problem. Even if you somehow manage to get enough thrust, the problem is control. The control surfaces can't possibly have discrete enough control to be usable, and that means even in the event the plane takes off its survival will be short.

Don't forget to run the numbers. It is easy to figure out how much thrust you need for a given weight and wing area, and it is easy to figure out how much current you need to get that thrust. Both numbers will be wildly prohibitive by probably two orders of magnitude. Don't forget to size your control surfaces to be large enough at the plane's flight speed and calculate how much motion they need. You'll need to be able to control them to fractions of a degree. Pneumatics are useless because they don't allow absolute positioning, only force.

It is perfectly true that anything can "fly" with enough thrust, but I think the amount of thrust and current you will need will be in the hundreds of amps.

Blakbird, thank you, I wish I could hire you to help me with this thing but I can't, I am currently thinking about using servos on the control surfaces now and that should make it have a fly by wire like feel that Airbus aircraft all have :) and also rigidity is crucial to width standing aerodynamic loads

Also...I never said 'fly controllably' or 'fly survivably'. :wink:

Guys, I'm trying to make my product certified of doing all those things, currently I'm working with Airbus and Bright Bricks to see how we're going to do it

What I think we need in this and other similar threads is to define "flying LEGO" once and for all. As at his moment it is not very clear and thus brings a lot of discussion. I can throw 2*4 brick it will fly for some time or use recently released Airjitzu (which flies 4-6 meters), but is it actual flying LEGO? Or another example, like mentioned in this thread - case where 3rd party electrical and mechanical items attached, is it flying LEGO?

Edited by zux

Guys, I'm trying to make my product certified of doing all those things, currently I'm working with Airbus and Bright Bricks to see how we're going to do it

image.jpg

Excuse my skepticism, but I don't think an OEM like Airbus would do something like this, unless you were able to show them something really promising. Likewise, Bright Bricks do mostly Legoland style models, and not technical things. But, if, and this is a big fat if, you were able to get those guys on board, good for you.

image.jpg

Excuse my skepticism, but I don't think an OEM like Airbus would do something like this, unless you were able to show them something really promising. Likewise, Bright Bricks do mostly Legoland style models, and not technical things. But, if, and this is a big fat if, you were able to get those guys on board, good for you.

Sorry

This is gonna be my best definition; a flying model RC plane built drone mostly Lego and some non Lego components

The ratio of LEGO to non-LEGO components is pretty important. If any ratio is allowed, then I already made flying LEGO years ago and I even did it with an unaerodynamic brick separator! :grin:

800x598.jpg

This has been discussed in many threads, but it seems like a minimum definition of "flight" would be sustained, controllable motion through the air with lift and propulsion being provided by the vehicle. This means no hanging from wires, no balloons, no ballistic trajectories, no power supplied by a tether from the ground. Even using R/C motors, props, batteries, and servos, I don't think it is possible to make an all LEGO airframe fly. Any of the previous claims of LEGO flight can be refuted using one or more of the above criteria.

I wish you good fortune in any case. If nothing else, make sure to take a video of your maiden flight attempt for the education of the community.

The ratio of LEGO to non-LEGO components is pretty important. If any ratio is allowed, then I already made flying LEGO years ago and I even did it with an unaerodynamic brick separator! :grin:

800x598.jpg

cool

Okay guys, Lego Company has replied to my message and they are supportive of a Lego Foundation For Aviation :) pretty soon Legos will take to the skies

cool

Okay guys, Lego Company has replied to my message and they are supportive of a Lego Foundation For Aviation :) pretty soon Legos will take to the skies

Here's my opinion and I stress it is my opinion of the OP and this thread.

A. You're an idiot

B. You're an idiot

C. You're an idiot

D. Any combination of A B and C

People actually responding and urging this fool on need to stop. Seriously I've never seen so much BS in any of this forums from a single member. Sure the first page a joke but then him talking with Airbus and Lego Foundation?!!! Get a life loser!

A. You're an idiot

B. You're an idiot

C. You're an idiot

People actually responding and urging this fool on need to stop. Seriously I've never seen so much BS in any of this forums from a single member. Sure the first page a joke but then him talking with Airbus and Lego Foundation?!!! Get a life loser!

:thumbdown: You could've just said that you don't think it's going to work instead being unnecessarily rude.

To OP, this is certainly an interesting project, and while I highly doubt it's ever going to fly I want to see where it goes. Best of luck to you :classic:

A. You're an idiot

B. You're an idiot

C. You're an idiot

You seriously hurt my feelings :,(

I have actually spoken with Airbus Headquarters in USA and they said they would hook me up with a representative within the next few days who is supposed to help me by lending me some design info of the A300 (for a lack of better words) and nothing is written in stone but I am trying to see if there is any way possible I can get it to fly, taxi maybe but fly idk, next time I hope your a little nicer when expressing your opinions

For now on I will have the forum about Lego's Foundation for Aviation on another article so that I don't have anymore conflicts regarding both subjects on the same page

:thumbdown: You could've just said that you don't think it's going to work instead being unnecessarily rude.

To OP, this is certainly an interesting project, and while I highly doubt it's ever going to fly I want to see where it goes. Best of luck to you :classic:

Sorry to burst any bubbles but this isn't going to fly!

I'm an engineer by trade and I did my degree in aeronautics and if you haven't done the most simplest of calculations of thrust, lift and weight (you could make some basic guesses on weight based on what size you plan it to be) then you might as well bang your head against a wall as it'll be more productive.

Lego is too heavy in terms of its weight vs stiffness and also only really works in tension and you'll definitely need compression members too.

For control surfaces you'll find Lego motors or pneumatics most probably react too slowly

Also I'd be surprised if Airbus give you any more data than a good google search can provide you with.

And as to a Foundation of aviation ... Why ? Lego can't fly ... I've made models of a glider and an autogyro in the past and posted them here.

Please remember to remain respectful towards other members at all times.

Name calling is unnecessary in an adult LEGO forum, and inflammatory behaviour will attract further attention from the staff.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Please remember to remain respectful towards other members at all times.

Name calling is unnecessary in an adult LEGO forum, and inflammatory behaviour will attract further attention from the staff.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Obviously, I second Pandora!

And again we are discussion Flying LEGO Machines. I am about to lock this topic, until actual progress on a MOC has been made.

Sorry to burst any bubbles but this isn't going to fly!

I'm an engineer by trade and I did my degree in aeronautics and if you haven't done the most simplest of calculations of thrust, lift and weight (you could make some basic guesses on weight based on what size you plan it to be) then you might as well bang your head against a wall as it'll be more productive.

Lego is too heavy in terms of its weight vs stiffness and also only really works in tension and you'll definitely need compression members too.

For control surfaces you'll find Lego motors or pneumatics most probably react too slowly

Also I'd be surprised if Airbus give you any more data than a good google search can provide you with.

And as to a Foundation of aviation ... Why ? Lego can't fly ... I've made models of a glider and an autogyro in the past and posted them here.

Hello, thank you for the info, if you don't mind i'd actually like to see your glider and autogyro

Obviously, I second Pandora!

And again we are discussion Flying LEGO Machines. I am about to lock this topic, until actual progress on a MOC has been made.

A moc won't be made for awhile, I had the forum up now just to see if I could get any suggestions as to how I should build this thing

Don't be put off by negative comments.

OK so your Lego plane may not fly but at least you'll have fun trying.

Don't be put off by negative comments.

OK so your Lego plane may not fly but at least you'll have fun trying.

Yup

A. You're an idiot

B. You're an idiot

C. You're an idiot

Too harsh..... but I agree with this statement. It could have been stated much more kindly though. I think as responsible members of the community here.... we have to be concerned that we don't engage in cyber-bullying or just plain idiocy ourselves.

I agree with this statement b/c I don't know why people are even responding to this post. Stop adding fuel to the fire. I am not just skeptic that this individual can make LEGO fly, I think it is so absurd that I refuse to even respond to the claims. Come on guys and gals, I think we all know that LEGO will not be flying (at least with current part selection). I think we all accept this to a degree that we do not need to push our thinking onto the OP. He will learn for himself.

Lastly, and I truly don't mean this in a bashing or mean way, the only reason why I am putting it out there is b/c I can't really send this out to everyone any other way without letting the OP see it. I strongly suspect the OP may be underage, or at least very young and naive. Just the content and manner of items posted thus far, IMO, presents itself as such. So, individuals who respond to his posts, I think, should at least consider this. If it is true, there is no reason to get our panties in a bunch if the OP is underage, or very young and inexperienced.......just smile and move on. @Chrisf98 - If you are reading this good luck on your project. Go have fun.... but I think you have learned perhaps some important lessons on posting in this and other forums. If you truly are in the process of building what you claim to, then lets hear from you when you have something substantial. :sweet: Sharing and the social media aspect of LEGO building is important and fun, but building comes first. One can still have a great time building and creating without the sharing. Build first, share later....... :wink:

Too harsh..... but I agree with this statement. It could have been stated much more kindly though. I think as responsible members of the community here.... we have to be concerned that we don't engage in cyber-bullying or just plain idiocy ourselves.

I agree with this statement b/c I don't know why people are even responding to this post. Stop adding fuel to the fire. I am not just skeptic that this individual can make LEGO fly, I think it is so absurd that I refuse to even respond to the claims. Come on guys and gals, I think we all know that LEGO will not be flying (at least with current part selection). I think we all accept this to a degree that we do not need to push our thinking onto the OP. He will learn for himself.

Lastly, and I truly don't mean this in a bashing or mean way, the only reason why I am putting it out there is b/c I can't really send this out to everyone any other way without letting the OP see it. I strongly suspect the OP may be underage, or at least very young and naive. Just the content and manner of items posted thus far, IMO, presents itself as such. So, individuals who respond to his posts, I think, should at least consider this. If it is true, there is no reason to get our panties in a bunch if the OP is underage, or very young and inexperienced.......just smile and move on. @Chrisf98 - If you are reading this good luck on your project. Go have fun.... but I think you have learned perhaps some important lessons on posting in this and other forums. If you truly are in the process of building what you claim to, then lets hear from you when you have something substantial. :sweet: Sharing and the social media aspect of LEGO building is important and fun, but building comes first. One can still have a great time building and creating without the sharing. Build first, share later....... :wink:

sorry about that Edited by Chrisf98