Oky

Disney Movies and TV Shows Discussion

Sorry to dig up this thread again (its been quite a few months) but I think it is worth asking how you guys thought about Moana? (My sister is listening to the soundtrack right now so it is kind of stuck in my head...)

Besides I want to jokingly say I think there was a Lego connection in Moana; she is from the island of Motunui... The Bionicles are from Mata Nui... Coincidence?! :laugh: (No really during the whole movie I swore she kept saying she was Moana from Mata Nui... Must be a Toa of Water or something like that...):sweet:

2 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Sorry to dig up this thread again (its been quite a few months) but I think it is worth asking how you guys thought about Moana? (My sister is listening to the soundtrack right now so it is kind of stuck in my head...)

Besides I want to jokingly say I think there was a Lego connection in Moana; she is from the island of Motunui... The Bionicles are from Mata Nui... Coincidence?! :laugh: (No really during the whole movie I swore she kept saying she was Moana from Mata Nui... Must be a Toa of Water or something like that...):sweet:

I'm not the only one who was hearing that!

Finally got round to seeing Zootopia, really good film. I think the way tackle racism and gender quality using animals rather than humans in addition to the main plot is very well done. 

Does anyone know a good way to watch Milo Murphy's Law? I heard it's a good show but I haven't been able to see the first episode yet.

57 minutes ago, Realshow said:

Does anyone know a good way to watch Milo Murphy's Law? I heard it's a good show but I haven't been able to see the first episode yet.

I thought Disney uploaded the pilot episode to YouTube? I remember seeing somewhere. Check Disney XD's Facebook page.

27 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

I thought Disney uploaded the pilot episode to YouTube? I remember seeing somewhere. Check Disney XD's Facebook page.

Oh okay thanks.

5 hours ago, Realshow said:

The "official" way to watch it is over the Disney XD website/app, although I'm sure there are many cartoon pirating sites out there that will have it as well. And yes, the first episode is on YouTube.

Honestly, it's not a bad show, but I'm very underwhelmed by it. The story, characters, and jokes are just not as good as those in Phineas and Ferb (Diogee is certainly no Perry), and considering this is starring Weird Al I was hoping to get a lot more songs from him in this show.

On 11/29/2016 at 10:47 AM, xboxtravis7992 said:

Moana was pretty good. The songs were indeed catchy and the animation beautiful as always. But I felt that the story was a bit lacking as it consisted of too many Disney tropes and cliches, especially after Disney's latest films have been doing such a great job deconstructing those tropes.

And yes, I think we all were hearing "Mata Nui" throughout the film. :grin: I will have to make a funny out of this if I ever get a Moana set.

By the way, your signature is very distracting and does not follow the site guidelines. You might want to fix that.

On 12/8/2016 at 11:43 AM, quark12000 said:

I want a Lego Kakamora ship!

Yes, that would be cool. It seems like a perfect fit for Lego with its split-apart function and other play features, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I just finished the Man in High Castle Season 2! It was really well done and definitely a step up from season 1. The show does such a compelling job at presenting the alternate history as a horrifyingly real and breathing world. The season finale was much better this time around, and while last season had a great finale this pushed the bar way up. 

:blush: Sorry guys wrong thread. I thought this was the television series thread 

Edited by Forresto

That trailer..... Wow it was super powerful :cry_happy: This movie looks incredible, I haven't really seen "Disney" movies like this in theatres but this I can't miss at all. 

I still am very apprehensive about the new Beauty and the Beast in a few ways. On the plus side, I do think it is perfectly casted and looks extremely well done. On the other hand though, the original film is indisputably one of Disney's greats. How could a retelling of that story be any better than the original? I fear that the new film will end up a lot like the stage play version; we will see some new stuff in the journey; but in the end it will all just be a bit to familiar.

Unless they all of a sudden decide to go all "Hunchback of Notre Dame stage play ending" on the live action Beauty and the Beast, where they take the happy ending of the original Disney film, and twist it into a much darker ending closer to the original source material... AKA, the Beast dies and Gaston wins type of stuff goin' on. *huh*

Now a little off topic, my sister was absolutely obsessed with the stage play version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame a few months ago (she is a musical theater student after all, so she is into that kind of stuff). Both of us agree that the original film is criminally ignored by many Disney fans; the music is some of the best ever made for a Disney film; and Frollo is the only Disney villain who scares us more as adults than he scared us when we were children! :thumbup:

Just now, xboxtravis7992 said:

Now a little off topic, my sister was absolutely obsessed with the stage play version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame a few months ago (she is a musical theater student after all, so she is into that kind of stuff). Both of us agree that the original film is criminally ignored by many Disney fans; the music is some of the best ever made for a Disney film; and Frollo is the only Disney villain who scares us more as adults than he scared us when we were children! :thumbup:

Hunchback of Notre Dame is my favorite Disney film ever!

It would have been better if Esmeralda would have died at the end, but they went for the happy ending. Awesome movie, anyway. 

Ahead of its time, IMO. Just like Disney's Sleeping Beauty. 

The scene when Frollo sings is scary because is a very realistic form of villainy. He even prays to Virgin Mary to kill Esmeralda. That's the darkest Disney scene ever!

And at some point it is implied that he is willing to rape Esmeralda.

Just now, Robert8 said:

The scene when Frollo sings is scary because is a very realistic form of villainy. He even prays to Virgin Mary to kill Esmeralda. That's the darkest Disney scene ever!

This right here. It scared me as a child. But when I was older and realized he was basically singing about forcing Esmeralda into a relationship with him it became %1000 spookier. The fact it is paired with Quasimodo's loving song about Esmeralda just beforehand is the perfect contrast. Really dark stuff for a Disney movie.

What makes Frollo frightening is he isn't a villain with magic powers, or space alien strength, or humorous sidekicks, or vain ambition. No, he is a normal mortal human being whose lust leads him to BURN DOWN ALL OF PARIS, COMMIT MASS GENOCIDE, AND ATTEMPT TO MURDER WHAT IS BASICALLY HIS ADOPTED SON. :tongue: If that ain't real evil, I don't know what is.

Just now, xboxtravis7992 said:

This right here. It scared me as a child. But when I was older and realized he was basically singing about forcing Esmeralda into a relationship with him it became %1000 spookier. The fact it is paired with Quasimodo's loving song about Esmeralda just beforehand is the perfect contrast. Really dark stuff for a Disney movie.

What makes Frollo frightening is he isn't a villain with magic powers, or space alien strength, or humorous sidekicks, or vain ambition. No, he is a normal mortal human being whose lust leads him to BURN DOWN ALL OF PARIS, COMMIT MASS GENOCIDE, AND ATTEMPT TO MURDER WHAT IS BASICALLY HIS ADOPTED SON. :tongue: If that ain't real evil, I don't know what is.

Don't forget he was about to drown baby Quasimodo at the beginning. 

I think Frollo and the Evil Queen are the only Disney villains without sidekicks. 

Just now, Robert8 said:

Don't forget he was about to drown baby Quasimodo at the beginning. 

I think Frollo and the Evil Queen are the only Disney villains without sidekicks. 

He also killed Quasi's mother...

But anyways, the only Disney Villain without a sidekick I can think of you didn't mention was Mother Gothel from Tangled. (Maybe Hans from Frozen counts too?) Of course if we start to expand our Disney list to include Marvel and Star Wars we could find a lot more examples of villains without sidekicks (and a ton of examples of villains with dozens of sidekicks or henchmen!) :wink:

Le bossu de Notre Dame is maybe the darkest Disney story out there and I love it.

I don't want to sound harsh but the new Beauty and the Beast looks meh: The beast is meant to be scary, twice the size showcased in the movie with tusks and intimidating demeanor. It looks a lot more light hearted which could hurt the tonal shift at the end of the movie.

Also Emma Watson as a Disney princess? Oh the irony. 

6 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

I don't want to sound harsh but the new Beauty and the Beast looks meh: The beast is meant to be scary, twice the size showcased in the movie with tusks and intimidating demeanor. It looks a lot more light hearted which could hurt the tonal shift at the end of the movie.

Oh my gosh, that reminds me of the last time I saw Beauty and the Beast on stage. The actor for Beast was a bit scrawny, and had sort of a high-pitched voice. It was very hard to feel like he was scary at all during the play :laugh:

I'm not really looking forward to the new Beauty and the Beast. Not at all, really. The cartoon is one of my favorites from when I was a child (and still holds up pretty well today), but I'm not here to scream that "they're ruining my childhood" or other nonsense like that. Its just that this version seems...unnecessary. I get the feeling they are trying--even content--to tell the exact same story in the exact same way.

If it were clear that they were going a new direction with it or making it something we haven't seen before, I might be able to muster more enthusiasm; as is, however, it feels like they are simply looking to cash a nostalgia check. Not that the movie won't likely be well done, but to this point it just doesn't do much to inspire me.

Who knows, though? Maybe I will be wrong. I'll end up seeing it in theaters regardless: the release date is close to my wife's birthday, and while the marketing hasn't worked on me, she was sold on it since day 1. Well played, Disney; well played.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I dont understand why Disney is making these live action remakes in the first place. To be clear, I dont necessarily think its a bad thing, I just dont get the thinking behind it. Just because it hasnt been done yet (at least by Disney)? Or as an easy way to make Money out of a safe or known property?

Can I just say the recent controversy over Beauty and the Beast is so so dumb. First people complain its to similar to the original then they put a spin on one of the characters and people get up in arms. Can we as a society just sit back and let people tell stories? So what LeFou is gay in the live action film. First off even before I know much about these things as a little kid I ALWAYS thought it was really strange Lefou always followed Gaston and put up with their abusive relationship. Only someone truly enamored would do that.

8 hours ago, Forresto said:

Can I just say the recent controversy over Beauty and the Beast is so so dumb. First people complain its to similar to the original then they put a spin on one of the characters and people get up in arms. Can we as a society just sit back and let people tell stories? So what LeFou is gay in the live action film. First off even before I know much about these things as a little kid I ALWAYS thought it was really strange Lefou always followed Gaston and put up with their abusive relationship. Only someone truly enamored would do that.

Absolutely agree, but sadly we live in a world ruled by bigots and overreactions, and this kind of stuff is going to happen, especially in places like the south. But let's not get political here.

On a brighter note: FIRST DUCKTALES TRAILER! Woo-oo! Honestly, the kids are a bit obnoxious, and the animation is obviously not as good, but again, I do like how the style kinda resembles the Carl Barks comics and it does seem to have the same sense of fun and adventure, so I'll still give it a chance.

I think SNL said it best when the pointed out people are more concerned by a gay side character then the fact the main character is falling in love with a buffalo. 

As for Ducktales i'm kind've digging the art style a whole bunch. 

I always thought that LeFou just idolized Gaston. But I never saw anything romantic