So what kind of fire do we burn these atrocities with?

The Fires of Purity?

or

The Fires of Hell?

:classic:

Dear all,

Please continue to discuss, pertaining to LEGO Nexo Knights. If you wish to discuss Clone Brand, there is other place to do so in other parts of the Forum.

Thank you.

WhiteFang

The exclusives for Friends and City have just been revealed, so would it be safe to assume that we will be seeing the Black Knight's Mech soon?

Oh, that's one exclusive for only City, so you confused me. :tongue:

There were two City exclusive sets revealed: The Research Heli and technically the Park, although they were just hi-res images. Star Wars now has hi-res images for the entire summer wave, as do some other themes.

Park is exclusive? Since when? To what stores? :wacko:

Early access to VIP members at the Lego store. I count that as an exclusive.

Early access to VIP members at the Lego store. I count that as an exclusive.

Nope. It's not exclusive to the Lego Store.

It will be available at Lego Stores, sure. But that May exclusive reveal is not Fun at the Park. Minifigure Price Guide (which is as trustworthy as Wikipedia at this point) posted that false news based completely upon assumption, not with any fact of any sort. They didn't connect the dots that these weren't press release images, but in fact generic set images that were available on an online image cache.

How do we know that Fun at the Park is not an exclusive?

It was at the Toy Fair.

Store exclusives are never shown at those shows.

The only D2C sets (i.e. Classic Batcave, Brick Bank, etc.) shown at the Toy Fair are only the ones that have been revealed/released before the day of that particular trade show. Fun at the Park does not qualify as one of these sets.

It's due to these sorts of criteria why we haven't seen the Minecraft Village or The Black Knight Mech (as examples).

Edited by Penkid11

Nexo Knights please. Nexo Knight discussions please. You wanna argue about CITY, go argue in CITY. Thank you!

Hey all,

Just out of curious, does anyone know how long the Nexo Knights theme is going to last? I don't mind them doing something new like this occasionally, but as a fan of both Castle and Space, I'm suddenly worried that Nexo Knight is going to turn into something like Ninjago and stick around forever, depriving us for a long time of classic Castle and Space sets.

Hey all,

Just out of curious, does anyone know how long the Nexo Knights theme is going to last? I don't mind them doing something new like this occasionally, but as a fan of both Castle and Space, I'm suddenly worried that Nexo Knight is going to turn into something like Ninjago and stick around forever, depriving us for a long time of classic Castle and Space sets.

I share your worries. It is scheduled to last a minimum of 3 years, from my understanding. I expect it to continue beyond that. Most people seem to think that LEGO could have a Castle theme run at the same time, but that doesn't mean they will. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Considering that we hadn't had a sci-fi or castle theme for years before Nexo Knights...

Well, Galaxy Squad was 2013, not that long ago. But yeah, with Ninjago also staying, and Nexo Knights for at least 3 years (probably), there's not much room for another space and/or castle theme. Especially space doesn't seem to be something they would be planning, since they also have the futuristic Marvel, DC and Star Wars stuff. Most kids wanting a spacecraft, could find one in any of these themes.

Hey all,

I share your concern, but I suppose TLG will make some 1or 2 year-long themes with limited plot like Monster Fighters, Pharaoh quest, Galaxy squad - some of such themes were released at the time such major themes as Ninjago and Chima existed, so maybe TLG will somehow reitarate such experience... I hope

Edited by Ookami

Hey all,

Nexo Knights is going to be around for at least three years, but will obviously continue beyond that if the theme sells well. So far it seems to be a big hit among the kids, and on this site aside from a handful of members. I would say 5-6 years, but hopefully not longer than that so it doesn't peter out like Ninjago is doing right now.

Well, Galaxy Squad was 2013, not that long ago. But yeah, with Ninjago also staying, and Nexo Knights for at least 3 years (probably), there's not much room for another space and/or castle theme. Especially space doesn't seem to be something they would be planning, since they also have the futuristic Marvel, DC and Star Wars stuff. Most kids wanting a spacecraft, could find one in any of these themes.

Ninjago is definitely on the way out. You can't go much further after you bring back every single villain that's ever been in the show, and the show itself is showing cracks. If the Ninjago movie doesn't do well, the theme is done for, and the focus will go to keeping NK relevant, as well as developing whatever Bing Bang is in line for 2019.

I do think that there is a chance of there being a second Castle theme during NK's run, but probably a one-waver like Castle 2013. Something for the fans who want new regular sets.

Space, however, doesn't have as high of a chance of coming back during NK's run because of Star Wars. Star Wars' popularity is literally at an all-time high, and if Space was brought back during the sequel trilogy it would be a massive failure. Just imagine a kid walking into TRU with his parents and seeing rows and rows on new SW sets based off of a movie he just saw. Next to them, over in the corner, are a handful of new, generic Space sets. Its not hard to imagine which theme the kid goes for. I would say that we're looking at Space coming back around 5 years from now, so 2021.

Remember, Lego shelved Space, other than Life on Mars, for almost ten years so Star Wars could have the spotlight. If Space is to come back during the sequel trilogy it has to be as a LOM type theme.

Nexo Knights is going to be around for at least three years, but will obviously continue beyond that if the theme sells well. So far it seems to be a big hit among the kids, and on this site aside from a handful of members. I would say 5-6 years, but hopefully not longer than that so it doesn't peter out like Ninjago is doing right now.

Ninjago is definitely on the way out. You can't go much further after you bring back every single villain that's ever been in the show, and the show itself is showing cracks. If the Ninjago movie doesn't do well, the theme is done for, and the focus will go to keeping NK relevant, as well as developing whatever Bing Bang is in line for 2019.

I'm not sure how you think Ninjago is petering out... it was one of the LEGO Group's top five themes last year, it's recently had some phenomenal set designs, and a lot of the comments on social media have high praise for the latest season ("Skybound"), despite it not even having aired in the United States yet. The age range for the sets was recently expanded with the theme's first AFOL/TFOL-oriented D2C set and its first Juniors sets. Even the LEGOLAND parks have started taking advantage of the theme's momentum with lots of new Ninjago-themed attractions. Besides, the LEGO Group declared it an evergreen theme just last year, so for it to be "on the way out" so soon would mean something's gone horribly wrong in less than a year's time, and I've seen no indication of that.

I don't see how bringing back a bunch of old villains somehow closes the door on new adventures, either. It's true that some franchises do play that card as their swan song (Bionicle being a good example in LEGO terms), but that doesn't mean that's the only way that card can be played. Superhero cartoons and comics bring together their old villains all the time.

Remember, Lego shelved Space, other than Life on Mars, for almost ten years so Star Wars could have the spotlight. If Space is to come back during the sequel trilogy it has to be as a LOM type theme.

The LEGO Group was a much weaker company for a lot of that time, though... that alone is a major difference in circumstances between now and the early naughts, and might change how many sci-fi themes they can sustain these days. Still, you're right that there are a lot of LEGO themes with sci-fi leanings these days, so having those AND Star Wars AND a new Space theme might take things over the limit.

Nexo Knights guys, not the other themes please. It is okay to a point when comparing, but defence of other themes can be taken to their respective threads.

Most themes have a three year development time. Chances are that there are at least a few waves of Nexo planned, but if it doesn't take off (Like Chima) then it will reach a normal end of life. Recall that other action themes aren't Evergreen, and even the Evergreen themes cycle through different subthemes.

I'm not sure how you think Ninjago is petering out... it was one of the LEGO Group's top five themes last year, it's recently had some phenomenal set designs, and a lot of the comments on social media have high praise for the latest season ("Skybound"), despite it not even having aired in the United States yet. The age range for the sets was recently expanded with the theme's first AFOL/TFOL-oriented D2C set and its first Juniors sets. Even the LEGOLAND parks have started taking advantage of the theme's momentum with lots of new Ninjago-themed attractions. Besides, the LEGO Group declared it an evergreen theme just last year, so for it to be "on the way out" so soon would mean something's gone horribly wrong in less than a year's time, and I've seen no indication of that.

I don't see how bringing back a bunch of old villains somehow closes the door on new adventures, either. It's true that some franchises do play that card as their swan song (Bionicle being a good example in LEGO terms), but that doesn't mean that's the only way that card can be played. Superhero cartoons and comics bring together their old villains all the time.

I agree with most of this. The Skybound sets are very good, and they incorporate excellent parts usage and clever designs. It's just that I can't see Ninjago going much further. The TV show plot is already grasping at straws in order to keep going (It was all a dream, really?) and bringing back all of the villains usually, as you said, signals the end of a theme. Lego could try and reboot the show or the sets, as they might with the movie, which isn't based on the show.

NK is something that Lego could draw out for as long as they have with Ninjago, so it would make more sense to bring Ninjago to a close (Even if they reboot it, it's only got a few years left anyway) and continue NK until the early part of next decade. Fans of Ninjago, I'm sure, wouldn't want to see the legacy of their theme tainted with several sub-par waves made solely to keep the theme going. And no, I'm not saying that Ninjago has had sub-par waves, because it hasn't, but the only place they have yet to go is space.

EDIT: Sorry Peppermint, I was typing this when you posted that. :blush:

Edited by BrickJagger

The way they have invested in Nexo Knights, being an all-round experience (tv-show, comics/magazines, books, free game, and the sets itself ofcourse), i highly doubt they'll stop after 3 years. Only when it bombs they might, but afaik it's a hit. It might even turn into an evergreen theme!

And if not, they'll take whatever went wrong as a lesson and create a new IP that will be even better. Probably not 'just' space or castle, but a theme that has more room for different sets and/or crossovers. Nexo Knights already being a crossover of space/sci-fi, castle and steampunk, this is really a thought-through theme.

The way they have invested in Nexo Knights, being an all-round experience (tv-show, comics/magazines, books, free game, and the sets itself ofcourse), i highly doubt they'll stop after 3 years. Only when it bombs they might, but afaik it's a hit. It might even turn into an evergreen theme!

And if not, they'll take whatever went wrong as a lesson and create a new IP that will be even better. Probably not 'just' space or castle, but a theme that has more room for different sets and/or crossovers. Nexo Knights already being a crossover of space/sci-fi, castle and steampunk, this is really a thought-through theme.

The investment in Nexo Knights and the large amount of media is not at all atypical for a "big bang" theme. The main difference, if any, is how INTEGRATED the various sets and media are thanks to the Nexo Powers for the app, but even that's just one more step on Lego's path to digital/physical integration (you could easily draw a comparison with the "app bricks" from last year's Ultra Agents sets). And not all such themes become evergreen by any stretch of the imagination—most, like Chima and Atlantis, experience a strong first year followed by a gradual decline. They don't have to "bomb" for that to happen; they just have to be on a general downward trajectory when the decision of whether or not to continue developing sets is made. Next year's sales will probably make a far greater difference than this year's in terms of whether Nexo Knights continues beyond the initial three year plan or draws to a close in 2018.

Edited by Lyichir