Robert8

Seasonal 2015

On shop.lego.com someone wrote a review for this set that was somewhat negative and LEGO actually responded:

I kind of doubt that the original designer was consulted for these answers but they seem believable but generic.

I would be curious on how someone else would design this. The face of the house looks weird and it seemed like the designer dumbed it down by trying too hard to make the top of the set look like a roof... in case you didn't get that we are looking at a part of a house. The overhand could be simplified, more roof pieces put on the walls to look like siding, and the tree is not really needed.

I get the feeling that these "Seasonal" sets are built with a "Creator" series sort of mentality--they look nice, but they largely incorporate generic pieces as opposed to specialty ones. For example, they could have included either the Scooby-Doo or CMF jack-o-lanterns, but they didn't, because those parts would be way too specialized for the look they're going for. Admittedly, what's a "specialty" piece might be a bit arbitrary--the girl has a witch hat and a broom, and the Thanksgiving set has a full turkey. My best answer is that these are long-standing pieces which have been part of Lego's stock for awhile, as opposed to very unique parts that are really intended for a single line. I don't know. Anyway, I seriously get the impression that these are supposed to be versatile sets made of common bricks, not extremely distinct ones.

Gingerbread House looks pretty sweet indeed! Much better than the train.

Now the big question is: should I get the Winter Toy Shop with double VIP points or wait and get the Gingerbread House instead...?

Well, I need to spend $100...

That house looks like a good start to making a bigger one, and it even appears to be capable of housing a figure at its small size. The gingerbread "bricks" and the candy roof were what I did in mine (well, I never got around to the roof...) I love the use of the tooth plates on the roof.

So the two Christmas $10 sets look great. Cozy, quaint, and have some great pieces. (I'm looking at you husky dog!) :excited:

Gingerbread house looks nice too. Good parts, but still disappointing to see another micro scale build.

Glad to see the wall calendar is back, hopefully it includes some more coupons. Winter Soldier? Flashback Shredder? Who knows, but I am loving it. :drool:

Also, just a heads up, the Brickshow has the Thanksgiving set reviewed and a better look at the instructions showing the upcoming $10 christmas sets.

The "window" in the Thanksgiving set is actually a wine bottle holder cabinet, kinda like from the Parisian Restaurant. :moar:

Is it bad I like the Gingerbread House more than this year's WV set? :laugh:

No, it's not :wink:

Edited by Emmi

That part has been around for a couple of years. It's been in at least a dozen sets. Only the medium nougat though, the other color brick profile bricks only come in 1x2.

I'm pretty excited about the ginger bread house. I know some people are disappointed about the scale but I think its workable into the rest of the village. I'll probably display it as a kids attraction near the small train and carnival ride

The gingerbread house is cool, could always get 2 and make it bigger :classic: I want to have two gingerbread men standing guard outside so I think i will make it slightly bigger for that and then leave it alone (this year)

omg, that gingerbread house is to die for!! looking forward to seeing what people do to make it bigger. i cant afford to get more than one, so will just admire other peoples efforts.

with these free sets, does the purchase of multiple sets totalling $99 count, or does it have to be one item [thinking the city and friends advent calendars to get one set, and the wv toy shop to get the other]

omg, that gingerbread house is to die for!! looking forward to seeing what people do to make it bigger. i cant afford to get more than one, so will just admire other peoples efforts.

with these free sets, does the purchase of multiple sets totalling $99 count, or does it have to be one item [thinking the city and friends advent calendars to get one set, and the wv toy shop to get the other]

It's any purchase. Spend $100, doesn't matter what, get a free set. A few years ago, I got the Haunted House during Black Friday weekend and got that year's Christmas freebie (a sleigh ride set). Occasionally, Lego will do something like "Spend $100 on Star Wars merchandise and get this minifigure who was on screen for 2 seconds," but in this case it's definitely buy what you want.

sweet, thank you. as you can tell, still new to buying from legos website, usually instore.

i really like the sleigh ride, but its so expensive on ebay. ah well, one day. :)

I'm pretty excited about the ginger bread house.

No surprise there ;-)

That gingerbread house is lovely :wub: I want it!

And I'm glad about the scale, because that means there are chances for the LEGO Ideas Gingerbread House project to get approved :purrr:

Edited by Robert8

I find it annoying how forthcoming the American site is for showing things like the gingerbread house and how to qualify for getting it. The U.K. Site doesn't show what's available for that specific month until that month basically has started. For example I don't know when the holiday train will be available or how much I need to spend to get it. Yes you can make assumptions based on the us details but it would be nice it they matched up. It just means I can plan my purchases better

Finally got the high-res images from LEGO Seasonal Christmas-Train (40138), the first of two exclusive sets this year. There are 233 pieces in total. Available in US from 99 US-Dollar purchase, in Europe from 55 Euro.

Source: http://www.promobric...-im-detail/9003 (with more images)

Looks really nice :-) I had already earmarked my 31015 train to go in my VW set up (when I buy some this year) now I can have two trains :-) :-)