Looking at the updated website, I am pounded by waves of nostalgia. BIONICLE Gen 2 continues to maintain a very pleasing balance of novelty and familiarity.

Am I the only one getting a Dark Crystal vibe from the Fire Protector in that animation picture?

I'm curious about the implications of the littl'uns. While there is nothing inherently contradictory about reproductive biomechanical beings, it does make one wonder even more about their origins and purpose (in a good way.)

That was just....WOW! I am so pumped for those animations!

Also, they crashed onto the island....Where did they come from? Who sent them?!

r21966_ancient-aliens-guy.jpg

I'm going to bet it has something to do with the Temple of Time, shots of them arriving were featured with it.

Hmm, so the toa fall from the sky this time, instead of washing up from the sea? I know lego doesn't want to go as deep this time as they did with Bionicle 1, but there's clearly something going on behind the scenes here. Why would the toa even be in the sky? There are legends of them in Okotan history, so they must have been there before, but now they're apparently in space?

Even in the first generation, before washing up ashore, they fell from the sky. Duh.

Yeah but not from stars.These guys are aliens

Also, TTV reported that someone figured out the source for the masks of power trailer: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/videos/mask-of-power-trailer-a03f464176d040c097cc02ac918a9582

Edited by GK733

In LOSS character bio it has the Golden Mask of the Skull Spiders described as, "Through a telepathic link, the golden mask allows the Lord to control the advancing army of skull spiders."

Certainly seems like it draws some kind of power from the mask of control(Makuta's mask).

Perhaps the Golden Mask of the Skull Spiders is the Mask of Control "altered" by the Mask of Ultimate Power.

Until 2006, when it was revealed that the Toa were launched from beneath the surface, the implication was always that they came from the same heavenly location Mata Nui and Makuta hailed from.

The first episode will air (in french) tommorow at the BIONIFIGS Convention 4, so we might see it appear on Youtube tommorrow or Sunday.

It's been awhile since I have read this on LEGO.com.

"LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO, LEGENDS OF CHIMA, NINJAGO, BIONICLE, MINDSTORMS and MIXELS are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group.

©2014 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use."

Can someone point me to the original source?

Cause this is hype!

That was incredible. Especially the narrator's voice and the background music... Bionicle is back! I'm really getting a Metru Nui / Karda Nui vibe from all that sound.

Also, TTV reported that someone figured out the source for the masks of power trailer: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/videos/mask-of-power-trailer-a03f464176d040c097cc02ac918a9582

It's been awhile since I have read this on LEGO.com.

"LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure, DUPLO, LEGENDS OF CHIMA, NINJAGO, BIONICLE, MINDSTORMS and MIXELS are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group.

©2014 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use."

Really? I didn't think that had ever been changed. Certainly every time I tried to search for BIONICLE-related info on LEGO.com (even before I knew for sure it was coming back, it was sometimes fun to try and see if there were any interviews with former BIONICLE designers), I was thwarted by the fact that the term BIONICLE showed up on practically every page.

Anyway, that Masks of Power video is EPIC! Great animation, great music, and a great introduction to the story.

Really? I didn't think that had ever been changed. Certainly every time I tried to search for BIONICLE-related info on LEGO.com (even before I knew for sure it was coming back, it was sometimes fun to try and see if there were any interviews with former BIONICLE designers), I was thwarted by the fact that the term BIONICLE showed up on practically every page.

Anyway, that Masks of Power video is EPIC! Great animation, great music, and a great introduction to the story.

Actually I'm pretty sure it had been gone from the footer a while because I remember checking not too long ago and not finding it, even after the BIONICLE website had returned.

Yes, using the web archive I saw BIONICLE was not there in January.

Hmm, so the toa fall from the sky this time, instead of washing up from the sea? I know lego doesn't want to go as deep this time as they did with Bionicle 1, but there's clearly something going on behind the scenes here. Why would the toa even be in the sky? There are legends of them in Okotan history, so they must have been there before, but now they're apparently in space?

The planet they're on does have two moons... I wonder if they'll be explored later in the story.

I mean, let's face it. Okoto seems too small to be the only setting for the story. Maybe for the first three years, but after that, I'd like to see some other locations.

I'll really dig it if the inevitable sci-fi element of Gen2 is space travel. Like, maybe when the Toa have achieved their destiny, they have to find a way to return home... But they meet space-faring baddies along the way? I dunno, I just think that'd be super rad.

I'll really dig it if the inevitable sci-fi element of Gen2 is space travel. Like, maybe when the Toa have achieved their destiny, they have to find a way to return home... But they meet space-faring baddies along the way? I dunno, I just think that'd be super rad.

That would be absolutely amazing. I always had a soft spot for space based things.

EDIT: some of the sets are advertising the BIONICLE shell as a selling point:

Onua: This durable, highly posable figure with 4 golden BIONICLE® shells and bashing battle arm is fully geared up for underground combat against the Skull Spider.

"Hahli": This robust figure, with BIONICLE® head and shell and 2 turbines

Edited by Cheatster9000x

Alright, decided to take screenshots of the "Masks of Power" teaser animation... Thing:

Gallery

Pretty interesting stuff happened when Tahu put on the gold mask such as a negative image and a brief glimpse of the head.

Edited by Kalhiki

Not sure if I like the Turaga-ish vibe that PoF had in the trailer. Set has a shoulder-cannon and twin fire swords. ANimation model is a hunchback with a cane.

One of these days, we'll see a wise authority figure in Bionicle who doesn't get turned into a pensioner. ONe day.

Alright, decided to take screenshots of the "Masks of Power" teaser animation... Thing:

Gallery

Pretty interesting stuff happened when Tahu put on the gold mask such as a negative image and a brief glimpse of the head.

Interestingly, the Lord of Skull Spiders actually doesn't look too unlike the set, as it turns out. The biggest difference is the addition of some extra teeth, and the removal of the spikes from some of his legs. Though I do wish more of the Tr. Flu. Reddish Orange showed up. The legs being purely black and grey makes them feel a bit boring.

I still can't get over these rich, detailed backgrounds. It really shows how something can be cartoony without feeling cheap or tacky — even with the same sharp angles as the character designs, the backdrops feel extremely lively and immersive. Some of the CGI backdrops used in certain BIONICLE ads, animations, and movies feel bland and lifeless by comparison.

Not sure if I like the Turaga-ish vibe that PoF had in the trailer. Set has a shoulder-cannon and twin fire swords. ANimation model is a hunchback with a cane.

One of these days, we'll see a wise authority figure in Bionicle who doesn't get turned into a pensioner. ONe day.

We already did. Axonn, anyone? Or even Mata Nui?

Though to be honest, I'm actually quite glad that BIONICLE IS willing to have older characters in sets, since as an action figure franchise it would be very easy for the designers and writers to treat every character as fit and agile and constantly ready for battle. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have an older character who can hold their own! Avatar: The Last Airbender had several. It looks like the new BIONICLE will also have some, since the Protector of Fire has been portrayed as a wise elder in some videos and images but as an adventurous ally in others. But it's also nice to have a character whose wisdom makes up for their lack of fighting prowess.

Anyway, that basically seems like what the Protector of Fire would actually look like if you put a cloak over him, since his shoulders are higher and further back than those of most of the other Protectors. The staff is probably a "badge of office" (like the Turaga's staffs) that he carries in place of weapons when he's not out protecting the village. So I don't really see the issue with this portrayal.