Sign in to follow this  
john cleese

Problems with BS / Is BrickShelf no more ???

Damn it sucks that BS seems to of died (at least for now), thankfully i have kept copies of my best pics on my hardrive so im not too badly effected.

Still my heart goes out to all of you that have lost your work :'-( ,

To me the worst aspect is I can't browse other people's work any more.

All those beautiful creations, great ideas...

It was so easy to browse them. I had tons of bookmarks for many really nice sites.

The furniture!! egads I'll miss all the Lego furniture MOCs. I LOVED those little creations - I used to relax for an hour or two by just making similar stuff for my own entertainment.

As a paying contributer to BS it would be a real shame if this is the end without any warning. I loved the fact that BS allowed big pictures, which is why i felt it right to pay for my gallery. You could alway see the detail that people had put into their work (something really lacking on crapy flickr) and parts that had been used. I hope BS does come back as it has been a huge part of the lego community and a huge part of my return to lego.

To me the worst aspect is I can't browse other people's work any more.

yes, me too.

i of course have all my work backed-up (on my computer, CD, external hard drive, etc...). i mean, some of those edited photos i spent 8 hours on !!! there is no way i was gonna loose that work. so that isn't an issue for me...

and i hosted all my images else where, the reason we still see the custom forum skins ;-) so hosting isn 't the issue either...

however, browsing BS was great. i would fall asleep with BS 3-4 times a week. some people read a book, or watch TV to fall asleep, similarly i would browes BS. it was a great "low brain wave" thing too do... now i've lost this :'-(

- BM

however, browsing BS was great. i would fall asleep with BS 3-4 times a week. some people read a book, or watch TV to fall asleep, similarly i would browes BS. it was a great "low brain wave" thing too do... now i've lost this :'-(

Indeed. I would do the same if I was on the phone to someone... :'-(

I found this on bricklink.com:

> Look here: https://www.brickshelf.com/

> Maybe they are moving to a secure site?

> The search on the main page didn't seem to work for me, but the search page does

> along with everything else.

Most likely they forgot to shut this part of the site down. This would be a good

chance to go grab all of your pictures while you still can!

-Billy

I was able to access brickshelf, so it should work for everyone else. Now is your chance to save your photos/other people's work.

-Billy

I was able to access brickshelf, so it should work for everyone else. Now is your chance to save your photos/other people's work.

Cool, it works! Thank you very much, Berry & Billy! *y* :-)

> The search on the main page didn't seem to work for me, but the search page does

Most likely they forgot to shut this part of the site down. This would be a good

-Billy

brilliant! thanks :-)

Great, then I'm able to rescue all my content. I'll try this with BSBackup.

Whoops: BSbackup only links to the normal http: I'll take my real brick-builds only. The renders can be made again.

Edited by Widdi

Now that's smart... and also surprising. X-O Well I am pretty sure that I have nothing critical there but it doesn't hurt to check. Thanks! *wub*

-Billy

Hmm, but wait a moment.... does that mean that this BS shutdown

without warning was fully intentional? 8-|

Hmm, but wait a moment.... does that mean that this BS shutdown

without warning was fully intentional? 8-|

It would seem so. I think some people who have been screaming at members over being annoyed is going to owe them an apology...

-Billy

*wub* *wub* *wub*

Save On

copmike

I'm infuriated.

This was INTENTIONALLY pulled.

I thought maybe it was an unfixable crash that shot the site offline... but seeing the backdoor site go down too, with the same message... answers, man, answers.

I hate everyone going,"HEY! Kevin has done this for free! Leave him alone!"

Nonsense... there's years of works there, some by people no longer alive.

And he doesn't issue a statement anywhere as to "why"?

It's like some god coming down and taking your life back from you, silently, for no reason.

In exactly WHAT degree do we need to "back off" this Kevin guy?

Did he die? If not... what is this?!?

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

Well I think this removes any doubt about whether or not it was intentional. A solution arises and as soon as it's found out, it's shut down as well.

This behavior is disgraceful and absolutely backs up everyone who was rightly ticked off.

I haven't read this topic thoroughly, but I have a question, is there absolutely no explanation for the site's demise? Either way, it's not a great situation, as I'm sure many of us may have now lost pictures of our MOCs or whatever. Let's hope that we get an explanation or a resurrection soon.

This behavior is disgraceful and absolutely backs up everyone who was rightly ticked off.

There's people (as you well know) defending his actions tooth and nail.

"Brickshelf is free, you got what you paid for har har!"

"Kevin never even had to make it!"

"OMG, you never backed your stuff up? lol"

"You never contributed, what are you complaining about?"

"Kevin did it ALONE!"

Well DUH.

--There's many a person who'd have jumped in to save it financially.

--There's many a person who'd have devoted their time in it's maintenance.

--There's many a person who'd have allowed temporary hosting on their server so everything could be backed up.

--There was no call, to anyone using or visiting Brickshelf, that there was any kind of financial problem going on.

But really, the worst is, and you're being intellectually DISHONEST to defend him on this,

--He hasn't, as far as people seem to know, communicated what happened.

I'm sorry, if I'm wrong, by all means, fire away.

There's people (as you well know) defending his actions tooth and nail.

"Brickshelf is free, you got what you paid for har har!"

"Kevin never even had to make it!"

"OMG, you never backed your stuff up? lol"

"You never contributed, what are you complaining about?"

"Kevin did it ALONE!"

Well DUH.

--There's many a person who'd have jumped in to save it financially.

--There's many a person who'd have devoted their time in it's maintenance.

--There's many a person who'd have allowed temporary hosting on their server so everything could be backed up.

--There was no call, to anyone using or visiting Brickshelf, that there was any kind of financial problem going on.

But really, the worst is, and you're being intellectually DISHONEST to defend him on this,

--He hasn't, as far as people seem to know, communicated what happened.

I'm sorry, if I'm wrong, by all means, fire away.

This was put beautifully, Jinzo. It really has pissed me off to no end to have some people, for some personal reason or another, defending these actions to the death, even going so far as to call others names, with absolutely nothing backing them up.

This whole situation has gotten ridiculous! If Kevin couldn't keep this going, he should have given it to someone who could. If he wasn't up to the responsibility, he shouldn't have started the site. There were a million things he could've done, the least of which was offer up a warning. That would have cost him no time and no effort.

He badly, badly dropped the ball on this one. At first I wasn't sure if this was deliberate or not, but clearly there is no sane option left but to believe this was.

Ughness.

I save about 90% of my LEGO pictures on my hard drive, so if my gallery is gone it's not a very big loss for me.

As for countless other galleries; years of work... gone. I can't browse among all those inspiring creations.

And the back door is no longer functional. The situation is peculiar, to say the least.

Now I'm waiting for

a) a good explanation

b) the return of Brickshelf/a new LEGO image hosting site thingy

What the megablock. Luckily I was able to save my MOC-Pics. So my only loss are the BrickingBavaria event pics from 2005. My CAD-Mocs will come up to maj.com if I find the time to rerender and the rest of the old BS gallery, too. I hope that such a thing doesn't occur with maj.com, too and I'm doing regular backups now, so that I never get into such trouble again. And a maj.com dead would be an even worser thing for me, since I'm keeping all! my non-Lego Images there and this are about 1000. My loss is est. 5-15% and much work resulting due to that

mFg Widdi

Edited by Widdi