15 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

That is why they are redesigning all the gears to fit into 2 categories:

• straight gears which use proper sized teeth for best optimal mesh
  • new bevel gears like the ones in Ferrari's differential - I believe we will see many more of such types pop-up in the future

In other words, slowly moving away from the concept of multipurpose/versatile-but-less-efficient gears (often found in construction sets) to efficient, specialized, industry-like ones (hence the separation between spur and truely bevel gears).

Has anyone found a more elegant way to lock the Daytona diff?

Only thing I could come up with is locking one of the outputs (below)

h2FaLl.md.jpg

16 minutes ago, shroomzofdoom said:

The only meaningful thing that came to my mind is redesign rear chassis part holding differential to make usage of driving ring like on 42129 set ...

I've been trying different solutions for about an hour now, and I've found a solution that I believe may work, built with the red gear rather than the Daytona one (because I don't have the Daytona one yet), but I believe it would work the same. It requires jamming bars into the slots on the gear, which is probably not an amazing solution, and made noticeable marks on mine, but it is fully locked and fits in the standard O-frame. I stress-tested it by stalling a PF XL-motor against it (through a 12T gear in an O-frame; the Daytona gear would have less torque and thus be less affected), and while it would twist up a little bit when stalled, nothing skipped or fell apart in the cycles I tried. It's probably nothing that people of a purer, Lego-like building style will use, but perhaps some people on the "fringes" can make use of it. Unfortunately, I'm skeptical that there's any more "puristic" solution out there at present.

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

11 hours ago, shroomzofdoom said:

If you want a smooth and reliable perpendicular drive/gerabox, I suggest you use 28 tooth bevel gears, preferably inside a 7x11 frame. They can't slip anywhere. I'm using same combination with a 28 bevel gear and differential in a 3 kg heavy model, has never slipped and it runs really smooth even when going up 45 degree slopes.

Edited by Zerobricks

@Zerobricks meant like this 640x853.jpg

...but in order to use clutch to lock it, just turn them 90° counterclockwise 

What does this exactly do? The wheels won't turn this way, no?

On 8/21/2022 at 6:44 AM, gyenesvi said:

What does this exactly do? The wheels won't turn this way, no?

In the pic below, power input is in the 12 o'clock position. Locking the opposing side (6 o'clock) directs power to the large gear which becomes the driver gear, and the two small ones become followers.

h2FaLl.md.jpg

It takes extra space and the way I used them, it would likely frag the little gears. You can easily connect up to 5 outputs to these which opens up a lot of possibilities for construction vehicles with multiple options powered from a single motor.

h2FYX4.md.jpg

@1gor and @Zerobricks that's a great suggestion, I kinda forgot about that ring gear lock on the gray carrier. Thanks! I'm going to try that (as soon as my knockoff gears come in from China)

@2GodBDGlory Thanks, I am going to try that as well!

End of the day I wish I could find easy ways to do this within the confines of the single 5x7. I'd like to think that the designers thought of this. But it seems like it took them forever to come out with the 28T bevel so...maybe they didn't.

These are the ones I use for other applications btw

4Cbi2s.md.jpg

Edited by shroomzofdoom

1 hour ago, shroomzofdoom said:

In the pic below, power input is in the 12 o'clock position. Locking the opposing side (6 o'clock) directs power to the large gear which becomes the driver gear, and the two small ones become followers.

But the output shafts would turn opposite directions!

41 minutes ago, Plumber said:

But the output shafts would turn opposite directions!

Oh yeah... Full disclosure: I haven't actually tried to build anything yet. Clearly I have some work to do. 

10 hours ago, shroomzofdoom said:

I did think about that possibility, but I ruled it out because as @Plumber says, their directions would not be the same. But there's another problem too, the gear ratio would also not be the same as with the regular usage of the diff, so it cannot really be taken as a locked version of it.

10 hours ago, shroomzofdoom said:

End of the day I wish I could find easy ways to do this within the confines of the single 5x7. I'd like to think that the designers thought of this. But it seems like it took them forever to come out with the 28T bevel so...maybe they didn't.

These are the ones I use for other applications btw

Yeah, I was looking for a solution like these (I have been using the same locked versions), but I don't think such a way of building a locked version exists for this newest diff.

10 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The January parts have appeared again on PaB...

Sadly the orange 5x7 frame is what I am waiting for... :cry_sad:

45 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Well, that's something, but I think the only part I'm looking for from that wave is the friction stud-pin, and it doesn't look like it's on there yet... Hopefully the March parts come around soon!

59 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Sadly the orange 5x7 frame is what I am waiting for... :cry_sad:

Hm, you are planing to build Kubota tractor :wink:

9 hours ago, 1gor said:

Hm, you are planing to build Kubota tractor :wink:

9 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Or Stara.

:laugh_hard:

Neither, although both would be very fitting ;-)

I need em for my Torion, which will get a pneumatic Meijer Holland Rambo 6 Bale Grabber:

1-rambo69-850x500.jpg

12 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I still don't see them.

LEGO's service and website SUCK and they have sucked for a few months now.

First my 42143 arrives stupidly late. Yes that was DPD's fault too but both LEGO and DPD were lying and being useless over the phone/twitter support.

It arrived a MONTH late but the promotional set came around half way in between then, just on its own!

Then I try and buy 2 trains which were in stock, got to the checkout and then the 'confirm purchase' button was grayed out, and I spent half an hour trying to figure out why.

So I was therefore denied not only the 2 trains but the 2 promotional sets that came with each train as well as my VIP points

NOW they can't even have a PAB website that  isn't stupidly slow and dimwitted.

The PAB website also has no new parts on it, not even from january, some even from last sodding year!!.

I ended up using smyths.co.uk for the 2 lime passenger trains and airbus rescue helicopter. I most likley will in future.

Edited by SNIPE

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

:laugh_hard:

Neither, although both would be very fitting ;-)

I need em for my Torion, which will get a pneumatic Meijer Holland Rambo 6 Bale Grabber:

Meh, I thought we will have surprise. I got nice surprise in my post today; differentials from Ferrari Daytona, so I hardly await today afternoon to install them in my Fastrac (and move on to (finally) finish this project)

34 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Meh, I thought we will have surprise. I got nice surprise in my post today; differentials from Ferrari Daytona, so I hardly await today afternoon to install them in my Fastrac (and move on to (finally) finish this project)

Looking forward seeing the finish model or your Fastrac :-)

I am still working on my Mecalac, which just keeps changing the brickbuild cab... :-/ And 3 models are maybe to much to build parallel on. Hmm would be an interesting poll to see, on how many models you guys are building simultaniously... Don't wanna hijack this thread for it.

40 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Looking forward seeing the finish model or your Fastrac :-)

I am still working on my Mecalac, which just keeps changing the brickbuild cab... :-/ And 3 models are maybe to much to build parallel on. Hmm would be an interesting poll to see, on how many models you guys are building simultaniously... Don't wanna hijack this thread for it.

I'm not working on my Fastrac because something always came the way; people make stupid things or damage something and I have to fix it otherwise I'll pay highest price and it is driving my crazy; after every "handy men" I have to fix something and they take money and go :wacko: I had so much to do during summer (usually vacation time) that I can't remember when I had more that 3-4 hours a sleep and only few things are done...

I just wonder if there will be some interesting new parts for 2023 sets...

5 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I still don't see them.

First my 42143 arrives stupidly late. Yes that was DPD's fault too but both LEGO and DPD were lying and being useless over the phone/twitter support.

It arrived a MONTH late but the promotional set came around half way in between then, just on its own!

Then I try and buy 2 trains which were in stock, got to the checkout and then the 'confirm purchase' button was grayed out, and I spent half an hour trying to figure out why.

So I was therefore denied not only the 2 trains but the 2 promotional sets that came with each train as well as my VIP points

The PAB website also has no new parts on it, not even from january, some even from last sodding year!!.

I ended up using smyths.co.uk for the 2 lime passenger trains and airbus rescue helicopter. I most likley will in future.

I am waiting for a parts order that was shipped two months ago to arrive. I used to use bricks and pieces instead of pick a brick  as the shipping service is pitiful but now have no choice where to buy them.

I have been buying much less since they changed the system. 

5 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I still don't see them.

I am waiting for a parts order that was shipped two months ago to arrive. I used to use bricks and pieces instead of pick a brick  as the shipping service is pitiful but now have no choice where to buy them.

I have been buying much less since they changed the system. 

Anyway here's some tricks I found:

I wouldn't reccomend putting that old white wheel inside of the black 5 hole ring cause it stresses the plastic (until it snaps in that is)

Edited by SNIPE

I started working on the 2022 update to my book today, and one of the first things I do is figure out all the new parts for the year. I've got a tentative list of new parts here, and I'd like to get some input on whether this is all there are, or whether there's some I missed. Here goes!

1. 5x2 Panel extender
  2. Porsche Parallelogram Panel Right
  3. Porsche Parallelogram Panel Left
  4. Friction stud-pin
  5. 60T non-beveled turntable top
  6. BMW front spring
  7. Motorcycle hub
  8. BMW/Ferrari spring
  9. BMW Brake disc
  10. BMW Wheel
  11. BMW Front tire
  12. BMW Rear tire
  13. BMW windshield
  14. 20T Spur gear
  15. 12T Spur gear
  16. 3x19 Beam
  17. 1x1.5 Panel extender
  18. Mclaren wing panel Right
  19. Mclaren wing panel Left
  20. Ferrari tire
  21. Ferrari wheel Right
  22. Ferrari wheel Left
  23. Ferrari short wheel cover
  24. Ferrari little triangle panel Right
  25. Ferrari little triangle panel Left
  26. Ferrari 2x5x3 panel
  27. 14T bevel gear
  28. 22T differential gear
  29. 20T spur clutch gear
  30. Swashplate bottom
  31. Swashplate top
  32. 5-sided rotor holder
  33. Swashplate ball
  34. Vespa wheel
  35. Vespa tire
  36. Technic, Pin with Bar and Tow Ball, 3L (Not sure what else to call it)

That's gotta be a record number! Anyways, please let me know if I missed any!

800x588.jpg

800x941.jpg

Edited by 2GodBDGlory
Images added