If I am correct the new 12z worm gear should fit with new 60z turntable this way:

Place on each INSIDE of the light grey parts of the turntable a beam. Between these put the new worm gear. SO, the worm gear is one stud higher then the tooth from the turntable.

Maybe someone who has them both can take a picture?

18 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Does anyone have a picture of the 12z worm gear? I haven't heard of it before. what set does it come from?

Previous page, literally.

Just now, letsbuild said:

But it's only 1z! Why is it called 12z?

Ah, I see the problem now :laugh: Someone got 12z bevel gear and new worm gear "combined" into 12z worm.

4 minutes ago, zux said:

Ah, I see the problem now :laugh: Someone got 12z bevel gear and new worm gear "combined" into 12z worm.

Yeah:laugh:

Although the new worm is not yet available I have been experimenting with ways to use it with worm axle in vertical and horizontal positions for 12T / 20T / 36T double bevel gears and the 28Z & 60Z turntables.

See photos showing front and rear of these ideas.

The 12T was hardest as requires a close 1.5L spacing but achieved with minimum parts yet still have a firm structure.

Re 60Z turntable - the suggestion in a previous post may work but until get an actual new worm can't confirm - it may not engage fully with turntable teeth, my version lines the worm gear on the same plane as the turntable gear teeth.

NB position of newworm gear shown by 2 yellow 1/2 bushes.

For reference I have labelled each one - if larger close ups wanted I can provide them.

Comments / suggestions please.

30687229034_1724a5a34c_z.jpgIMG_4221 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

30687229974_ecc3822d16_z.jpgIMG_4222 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

I think we'll see limited use of meshing the new bevel worm gear with anything not 20z gear, because doing so requires offsetting the whole drive train by 0.5L.

45 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I think we'll see limited use of meshing the new bevel worm gear with anything not 20z gear, because doing so requires offsetting the whole drive train by 0.5L.

The 36T gear meshes without off-set at a 4L spacing of axles giving a nice 36:1 reduction.

Edited by Doug72

Does anybody know if the new worm gear allows for an axle to easily slide through it (like the 2L worm gear)

I need this for my compact outriggers.

7 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Does anybody know if the new worm gear allows for an axle to easily slide through it (like the 2L worm gear)

I need this for my compact outriggers.

On 12/5/2016 at 10:44 PM, Blakbird said:

It grips.  You can still slide it, of course, but it takes a bit of force.

i thought Lego were doing the axle recolours in specific orders: Red = even numbers, Yellow = odd numbers.

but 42061 has a 9L axle in Red...so what gives?

EDIT: actually....Lego has used odd numbered axles in Red before, in 2005 there is a 7L axle in 8653:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=44294&colorID=5&in=A

there is also a 3L axle dating back to 2001: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=4519&colorID=5&in=A

Edited by Richard Dower

On 9-12-2016 at 1:28 PM, Doug72 said:

Although the new worm is not yet available I have been experimenting with ways to use it with worm axle in vertical and horizontal positions for 12T / 20T / 36T double bevel gears and the 28Z & 60Z turntables.

See photos showing front and rear of these ideas.

The 12T was hardest as requires a close 1.5L spacing but achieved with minimum parts yet still have a firm structure.

Re 60Z turntable - the suggestion in a previous post may work but until get an actual new worm can't confirm - it may not engage fully with turntable teeth, my version lines the worm gear on the same plane as the turntable gear teeth.

NB position of newworm gear shown by 2 yellow 1/2 bushes.

For reference I have labelled each one - if larger close ups wanted I can provide them.

Comments / suggestions please.

30687229034_1724a5a34c_z.jpgIMG_4221 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

30687229974_ecc3822d16_z.jpgIMG_4222 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Hello there!,

really interesting to se we came to (almost) identical designs on 6/10 designs! (great minds...). I also experimented with the possibility's I just posted and animated the one because I think this piece will be most useful in low-load, minimum-space applications 

Edited by shadow_elenter

11 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

i thought Lego were doing the axle recolours in specific orders: Red = even numbers, Yellow = odd numbers.

but 42061 has a 9L axle in Red...so what gives?

It's a misprint. If you look at the element ID for that part (6130005), you'll see that it comes up as 10M.

However, I briefly spotted a yellow 4M axle a while ago with the ID 6130006, but I can't find a trace of it anywhere now.

Does anyone know what size motor is in the PF XL motor?

VM12t.jpg

As far as I can tell there are no markings on it or serial numbers. I think it would be cool to upgrade the motor to a higher torque-faster version.