This is just a concept, and I don't really think there is much physics behind it, but would a lego pneumatic hovercraft be possible?

There are lego pressure cylinders, so that would be the air we need to lift it up.

When air is forced to come out of somewhere, it has to go out, even if it tears through something. The cylinders, however short-lasting the effect will be, will have air coming out of them, so if the hovercraft is resting on part 99021 it will be able to direct the flow of air downwards, which will build up pressure against the ground, and force the hovercraft up.

1247-extra.jpg

This part is plastic and rigid, so it won't bend, and if we have at least 4 of them we will be able to support a small hovercraft

In theory, this would finally be lego "flight" and the air cylinders would just be fuel.

If it works well enough, more cylinders could be added and 2 remote controlled fans or valves that blow air in different directions

A ground effect vehicle (hovering vehicle) is the best chance of lego ever flying, so I thought this would be the most practical way for it to work.

I don't see how pneumatics and hovercrafts go together, since they don't mix even in real life. That's a really weird idea, LEGO pneumatic parts are light-years away from being able to withstand enough pressure.

Moreover, working LEGO hovercrafts - without pneumatics, obviously - were achieved years ago already. The conditions: external power supplies, the ungeared LEGO 9V motor, and superthin foil skin on a lightweight LEGO frame.

Here:

Edited by Sariel

I don't see how pneumatics and hovercrafts go together, since they don't mix even in real life. That's a really weird idea, LEGO pneumatic parts are light-years away from being able to withstand enough pressure.

Moreover, working LEGO hovercrafts - without pneumatics, obviously - were achieved years ago already. The conditions: external power supplies, the ungeared LEGO 9V motor, and superthin foil skin on a lightweight LEGO frame.

It's just a theory, I never said it would be practical.

My idea is about an internal power supply, and I'm just asking for an opinion

Hovercrafts have been made using just balloons and disks, I don't see why lego can't do the same, even if it takes 100 cylinders of air

Hovercrafts have been made using just balloons and disks, I don't see why lego can't do the same, even if it takes 100 cylinders of air

I just gave you example that it's perfectly possible with Lego motors under specific conditions. Why would you want to use pnuematics instead is a mystery to me. It's completely unfit for the task. In terms of weight-to-pressure ratio, trying to fly with LEGO pneumatics is like trying to fart yourself up in the air.

In terms of weight-to-pressure ratio, trying to fly with LEGO pneumatics is like trying to fart yourself up in the air.

:-))))))))))

In terms of weight-to-pressure ratio, trying to fly with LEGO pneumatics is like trying to fart yourself up in the air.

Wait, that isn't possible? *puts down the can of beans*

Having been in the Navy and been around LCACs a fair bit, I think the OP underestimated the massive amount of force/horsepower neede to lift a hovercraft.

Think: multiple gas turbine engines on an aluminum hulled craft...

Hovercraft are technically flying. That requires a lot more pressure under the skirts than the pneumatics will be able to deliver. The larger or heavier the craft, the more volume must be filled at higher pressure.