BirdOPrey5

LEGO Ideas - Architecture - The Twin Towers

Growing up in New York City in the 80's and 90's the Twin Towers were buildings you thought would always be there. No matter how old I might get I always imagined I would still be able to see them standing in the distance- when no other buildings are tall enough to be seen, even from the far end of Brooklyn,

We all know that was not to be. It has been some time now since they are gone- and I still miss them. This set was my small way of bringing back a part of what I miss. Please take a look and support it if you like it. I have the pieces to build it on order, hope to be able to take real pictures by next weekend.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/79596

Some pictures:

877wtc_800.jpg110wtc_700.jpg

agree Rollermonkey but they could do it as a tribute piece with proceeds going to the 9/11 memorial charity stuff, very nice project, I would buy one, I like it being more detailed than the normal smaller size architecture sets as well

Thanks all... I received most of the pieces, enough to build the towers themselves, though missing the grey arches, had to use white for now, also not enough grey 1x1s, also used some white. However good experience. Found building the levels 6 high and trying to put a plate across is bad. Building 3 up and then 3 down from the plate on top is much easier.

Also going to put some reinforcement behind the walls.

It is a very nice and imposing MOC that captures the atmosphere of the place pretty well, but it would probably be pretty repetitive to build! Whats the little building supposed to be?

Edited by Ardelon

Thanks all... I received most of the pieces, enough to build the towers themselves, though missing the grey arches, had to use white for now, also not enough grey 1x1s, also used some white. However good experience. Found building the levels 6 high and trying to put a plate across is bad. Building 3 up and then 3 down from the plate on top is much easier.

Also going to put some reinforcement behind the walls.

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it in real bricks.

It is a very nice and imposing MOC that captures the atmosphere of the place pretty well, but it would probably be pretty repetitive to build! Whats the little building supposed to be?

I can't remember 100%, but I think it's either 4WTC or 7WTC....

Nope, my bad. It's 3WTC that was in that location.

Edited by rollermonkey

It's true - the build is somewhat repetitive but not all that bad since it isn't all that big. I recently did a Big Ben by WANGE (not LEGO) and while it looks great it felt far more repetitive than this.

Waiting on a few more pieces and I'll take and post new pictures of th real brick version.

A pic from the ground looking upward would be impressive as well, I imagine.

I'll work on that. :)

Been playing with the design a bit... changes to Building 3, as well as the overall shape of the base- make it look more like the property it was located on...

823World_Trade_Center_Twi.jpg

120World_Trade_Center_Twi.jpg

This is a nice tribute, but it goes away from anything LEGO would want to get in the middle of. It looks great, but it most likely couldn't be offical, sadly.

Great model - I love the details! I've added this to my collection of Modern Architecture on Pinterest.

LINK: ​http://www.pinterest.com/tomalphin/

Sincerely,

--- Tom Alphin

Awesome, thanks... Some great pics on that board.

For the person who wanted it from the bottom, up-

430DSC00822_small.jpg

Also changes the base plate color to tan and finally got the light grey arches for the bottom of the buildings. The very light grey 8x8 baseplates were like $30 each on Bricklink... must be a rare part.

Still waiting on proper 1x4x1 fences for the roofs. Also waiting on the proper metallic sphere, put in something for now but it's not right.

394DSC00825_small.jpg

562DSC00826_small.jpg

Thanks. :) Basically I'm happy with it as it was in those last set of pics. It's been on display at my house since. Everyone asks where I bought it. :p

Edited by BirdOPrey5

Nicely captured scale and detail. It would be great if people could put aside the tragedy of 9/11 and respect what these buildings meant as architectural accomplishments and the historical impact on the NYC skyline. Keep up the great work.

Beautiful moc!!!!

Edited by Rickwick
If you want to get a lot of spam, this is how you get it!

It's a great model but as others have said probably too touch for TLG's liking. I think it far more likely they would make one of the new building instead. That being said for this scale you really hit the nail on the head. They're great!

Thanks, unfortunately it never even made it to 1000 votes on Ideas, but I still have it as part of my collection. I actually bumped it up a but I made the buildings 8x8 instead of 6x6, increased the height to keep the ratio's correct.