Hi all,

I present you my new small german locomotive;

The Köf II

dsc06086_800.jpg

It´s a 7-wide motorless model.

dsc06090_800.jpg

Notice the 4 vintage windows used...;

dsc06088_800.jpg

This is a small part of a new upcoming huge diorama. (Not for the next "MegaMOC" which I am also building on, though...)

Ciao!

That's great! I love how it's so close to the ground and the shape of the engine is cool. I like how you used the flat panels on the sides

That's another nice Köf. With tiny engines like these not having to worry about motors and batteries makes a difference to detailing doesn't it?

Does that engine exist in real life?

Have you tried to Google 'Köf II'?

The answer is: yes, it does exist in real life...

AWESOME little red engine.....and it could climb that hill right ? :grin:

I really like the detailing on this one 'Hoexbroe'......and Brick On again ! :grin:

Have you tried to Google 'Köf II'?

The answer is: yes, it does exist in real life...

Well, you know; late at night, lying in bed, using a tablet, foreign punctuation...it was just easier to ask since I was posting to praise it.

Thanks, Joe

very, very nice (oder sehr, sehr schön, Köf is a German train isn't it ;)). This Köf is also in the Bochum Dahlhausen train museum (not too far from the Dutch border), in Dark red but would be more tricky of course. How stable is it b.t.w.?

4539439089_2cf432350b_z.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Does that engine exist in real life?

It certainly does! Germany has exported them to many european contries. Many big companies have their own.

Lego (TLC) has one in yellow!

That's another nice Köf. With tiny engines like these not having to worry about motors and batteries makes a difference to detailing doesn't it?

It does. Allows me to do a 3-wide engine compartment; just perfect!

Just one question: is this model motorized?

Nope. This was built for use in a diorama. No need for it to move. Plenty of motorized versions out there, though...

very, very nice (oder sehr, sehr schön, Köf is a German train isn't it ;)). This Köf is also in the Bochum Dahlhausen train museum (not too far from the Dutch border), in Dark red but would be more tricky of course. How stable is it b.t.w.?

Thanks for the photo! -Could you even find a photo of Lego´s yellow one¿?

The model it totally solid and stable. It rolls well. Hand-rails and sticking-out details are -of course- always fragile.

I think many of the pieces doesnt exist in dark red. Especially the 2x4 curved slopes, which are key to this slim 7-wide version.

7-wide with these curved slopes on the side does not allow for a 6-wide axle for the wheels. -And with a 5-wide axle, the wheels would fall off OR the vehicle would not stay on the track, so how did I do it¿? :classic:

Edited by Hoexbroe

Thanks for the photo! -Could you even find a photo of Lego´s yellow one¿?

There was at least one in Railbricks, and if I remember correctly linked from the Mpc of the LEGO Kof. The article said it was sold when LEGO moved from their German warehouse and is now painted red again.

7-wide with these curved slopes on the side does not allow for a 6-wide axle for the wheels. -And with a 5-wide axle, the wheels would fall off OR the vehicle would not stay on the track, so how did I do it¿? :classic:

Now I'm really interested, I had assumed it was eight wide, because I assumed it needed to be to avoid the wheels. Counting studs across the roof tells me I'm wrong. Are you using a six wide axle with the ends inside an anti-stud of the curved slope?

Option 1: Using a #2 axle on each wheel; the track will stop the wheels touching the inside of the cab, the cab will stop the wheels falling off when you pick it up.

Option 2: Between those 2x4 curved panels there's more than 5 studs and as Peterab said the axle can go into an anti-stud so I guess together that'll just allow a #6 axle.

Option 3: Using a 5.5 axle with stop.

Option 3: Using a 5.5 axle with stop.

Right on!

Because of the stop, the chassis must be 3-wide... Oh well... ;-)

Many would see this as "excessive complications" and... They would be right! -Still, with no electrical motor, you are quite free to fiddle around... hehe

BTW: The 2x4 curved slope does have interior tubes, and the axle does not reside inside the piece, although that also did my mind when I constructed it. But in the end the 5,5 axle solved all that...

As this looks like it interrest you (all), lets go to the front axle:

If you study the profile-photo well, you should see some spacing-problems between the rim of the wheels and the (at this point) 5-wide body over them.

It might be obvious, but I havent seen it used elsewhere: How come that the wheels fit and move freely?

Edited by Hoexbroe

Very nice modelling indeed :thumbup:

Especially like the 3-wide engine and the use of the vintage windows.

Cool photo. Man, I would love :wub: to see a train in Lego livery.

I've been to the transport museums in Berlin and Nuremberg, don't remember seeing anything quite like that.

Joe

Cool photo. Man, I would love :wub: to see a train in Lego livery.

I've been to the transport museums in Berlin and Nuremberg, don't remember seeing anything quite like that.

Well, it´s rather small. Beside a E19 or BR44 it could easily be bypassed... ;-)

Here it is;

kHohenwestedt-1991-09-002.jpg

@Hoexbroe:

very nice indeed... if you need the stickers, just send me a PM with your details and the brick size, hope next weekend I can recreate the inside tour stickers and I already have this old LEGO logo.

Many thanks for posting the photo of the Lego engine, that's about the coolest thing ever!

Joe

Very nicely done moc. Lots of details that must have taken a long time to figure out.