Sign in to follow this  
MetroiD

MOC: VW Type 2 T1 & T2 Campers

Here's something to remind you guys of the days of summer gone by... Coincidentally, these MOCs are also my way of honouring the 50-year anniversary of Volkswagen's "Type 2" model which needed much less than half a century to cement its status as a worldwide cultural icon.

These two have been lying around for the past year or more and even managed to survive two LUG exhibitions, which probably makes them some of my longest-standing MOCs to date. They were in development back when Ralph Savelsberg posted his brilliant 5-wide T1 & T2. Originally, I only intended to build the T1, but after seeing how great his vans look side by side, I decided to follow suit and build them both as well. Credit to Ralph for the door design - I'd been playing around with a couple of ideas for the two models, and his design was definitely very inspiring.

I know Hinck & co. would have liked me to join the dark side by finally starting to build vehicles in odd-wide (and I will do that - sooner or later), however due to the original cars' narrow chassis, to me 4-wide was the only way to go here.

The one that started it all, the Type 2 T1:

med_gallery_28_112182.jpg

med_gallery_28_224275.jpg

And its successor, the T2:

med_gallery_28_25222.jpg

med_gallery_28_52387.jpg

med_gallery_28_3246.jpg

And last but not least, something to help connect these two 'archaic' vans to modern times...

med_gallery_28_18580.jpg

Guy: Finally at the beach, Lass! What say we get our tent set up over there...

med_gallery_28_26823.jpg

Guy: Can't wait for Dude to see the awesome Hawaiian custom artwork on my ol' trusty surfboard...

med_gallery_28_59039.jpg

Guy: *Whistles happily while marvelling at the cool new paintjob on his surfboard*

Lass: Hey, Guy, it's Dude & Dudette! Hey guys!

med_gallery_28_27360.jpg

Guy: Yo Dude! You finally made it! Come over here, I got something I wanna show you...

med_gallery_28_146694.jpg

Guy: Check this out! Custom blue...

Dude: Wait a sec Guy, I got something up here you'll definitely enjoy! Wait for it, wait for it...

med_gallery_28_86279.jpg

Dude: Ta daah - the brand spanking new shortboard, complete with Hawaiian sunset paintjob. This baby's totally gonna rip the waves! So what was it you wanted to show me then?

Guy: Uh, never mind... Need a hand with your tent there? *aside* My ol' surf is still way cooler.

SWEET 4 wides there 'MetroiD' - the blue and white would be my favorite ! :wub:

Excellent designing especially the doors ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! 'MetroiD' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Very convincing replicas, MetroiD! Lots of details in a very small volume. I might try building a similar one someday -- in white and orange like the one I owned back in the days! :cry_happy:

Agree whit the others. Fantastic job, and funny back story there too :laugh: I really love those cars. Great job mate, keep it up

Captain Becker

Very cute "Hippie vans", I'm impressed how all the details fit perfectly well for a small 4-wide van. Both versions are absolutely beautiful, the white-blue one has a refresing look on it while the red one has great front details (clever use of the pistols for the bumpers and the front wheel detail). Very impressive work MetroiD. default_thumbup.gif

Lovely vans MetroiD, as I already told you on flickr.

:oh: How did you make the sliding door?

As MetroiD mentions, the door is based on a design by me. I never tried it in a four-wide vehicle though. it's the absolute minimum width for which it can work and I had more than enough trouble with it in my five-wide vans.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Really amazing that you managed this level of detail in 4-wide. Must have been a real puzzle.

:wub:

How can you not like 4 wide MOCs, especially when they are like these two cuties?

Excellent work Bobby! You've put a lot of skill in these two as far as I can see and the result is great. :thumbup:

The colour selection is very nice and I partcularly like these three blue and white pieces you've used in the front of the white camper.

The red camper's bumper is very clever. It's to die for! (Accidental pun :tongue: )

Great work! :thumbup:

P.S

♫♫"Take me down for a paradise ride, where the wheels are small and the cars 4 wide."♫♫

From Bricks 'n' Roses

:wink:

Simply beautiful. Nice one, Bobby. I really amazed at how much details that you have put in these 2 models, especially the front and the doors aspect. :thumbup:

This is now blogged in,

See it on Classic-Town.net

Thanks for the kind response, guys :sweet:

Weirdly enough, no one has really mentioned Guy's custom surfboard - which was originally Asya's idea, implemented/printed by a fellow LUGger. I guess Dude's "collectable" shortboard has really stolen the thunder, both in that story, and in real life :tongue:

@ Rick: Yup, these two took a bit of fiddling around in order to get it right, but I was hooked on the idea of packing in niceties in 4-wide. I might as well start looking for another narrow-chassis car on which to base future MOCs of this kind...

@ Fangy: Whoa, thanks for blogging these - if I'd known they'd end up on C-T, I'd have taken the time to photograph them earlier! :laugh: Cheers mate!

Aaaand I'm off to play B'n'R's Paradise City now (Zorbas, you rock - pun intended).

Very nice work, they look great and all that in 4-wide.

Like the fact that you made two different models.

Beautiful designs, nice exteriors. :thumbup:

Is it still possible to fit a driver in the red van or does the sliding door prohibits this?

Either way it looks beautiful.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Is it still possible to fit a driver in the red van or does the sliding door prohibits this?

I've been working on multiple designs, but the other options I've tried out make the whole van extremely unstable and are ridiculously complicated for a 4-wide vehicle. Which is why I've resorted to having the van show off its sliding door in "open" mode for most of the time, since when closed, it does prohibit a driver from being seated.

That said, there's still plenty of room in the back - so as long as Dude's willing to push the van, Dudette can still enjoy all the spaciousness from the inside :D

I've been working on multiple designs, but the other options I've tried out make the whole van extremely unstable and are ridiculously complicated for a 4-wide vehicle. Which is why I've resorted to having the van show off its sliding door in "open" mode for most of the time, since when closed, it does prohibit a driver from being seated.

That said, there's still plenty of room in the back - so as long as Dude's willing to push the van, Dudette can still enjoy all the spaciousness from the inside :D

Haha, cool. :laugh:

poor dude... Serves him right for being a such a show off with his board. :tongue:

The door doesn't open per se, it slides open, just as is the case with the original T2 van. You pull it out a brick, and then you just slide it - simple as that. As the construction itself, it is really nothing too special - as I said, I tried SNOTting it all in order to facilitate and be able to accomodate a driver with the door actually closed, but it was ineffectual. So the build as depicted here only uses a very simple, regular, studs-up approach with a few tiles to ensure the actual sliding process and plates in proper places to form an inside 'rail' and keep the door from moving where it shouldn't.

The door doesn't open per se, it slides open, just as is the case with the original T2 van. You pull it out a brick, and then you just slide it - simple as that. As the construction itself, it is really nothing too special - as I said, I tried SNOTting it all in order to facilitate and be able to accomodate a driver with the door actually closed, but it was ineffectual. So the build as depicted here only uses a very simple, regular, studs-up approach with a few tiles to ensure the actual sliding process and plates in proper places to form an inside 'rail' and keep the door from moving where it shouldn't.

I always like the reaction I get from people when I demonstrate one of these doors at events. They can't work out out how it works from pictures, but when they see it in action, it's usually immediately clear and they are surprised at how simple it is.

Because I keep getting questions about how I make the sliding doors, I decided to give them their own topic.

Cheers,

Ralph

Brilliant MOC- I spend several miserable summer holidays in these dreadful yet iconic contraptions back in the 1980s.

All you need to do to add more realism is to attach a very leaky annexe tent to the side, fill the area around the MOC with the smell of petrol and exhaust smoke, and show a diorama of the van parked up by the side of the road, with an emergency repairman's legs visible under the engine compartment...

Funny thing is, despite everything, occasionally I have a yearning to own one...

EDIT- I've just realised that I've drunkenly bumped a very old thread- Mods may delete this post if desired. :blush:

Edited by Legoless

Nice vans, MetroiD!

Could you please give me the instruction of the 2 T1, if you have it?

EDIT- I've just realised that I've drunkenly bumped a very old thread

What have you done! *oh2*

But seriously, thanks for that :grin: And thanks everyone for your kind words. @HeLena: Sorry, but I don't do instructions. It's a pretty simple / straightforward build anyway, with just some SNOTting going on at the front.