Joint Transport Facility

20 replies to this topic

#1 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

This is an ongoing WIP that combines various models from different Space factions into a unified monorail layout. Some of the models are official sets, some are modified versions of them and some are MOCs. The main new things are the bases and some small vehicles associated with them. (click the pictures for the full sets of images)

Entire layout (as of 4/15/14)
Posted Image

Transfer Center
Posted Image

The main Unitron command outpost on the JTF. Multiple track connections allow for the rapid transfer of cargo or personnel between different lines of the track. The onboard computers also coordinate train movements around the entire track.

Uranium Processing Plant
Posted Image

This Unitron facility extracts and enriches uranium contained in underground deposits. The working conveyor belt drops mined ore into the rock crusher for granulation, which is then loaded onto freight monorails. The plant has two JTF connections and an underground control room for overseeing drilling operations.

Artifact Research Hub
Posted Image

An Explorien alien research base featuring a motorized radar array. Entry to the base is through a magnetic elevator in the middle, and it includes advanced computer equipment to detect and decipher UFO signals. The decoder screen and fossil palette can both slide around to view the different parts of the fossils.

Monorail Power Station
Posted Image

This structure houses the fusion reactor that provides power to the entire monorail complex, and it also has repair and servicing equipment for the monorail units. The base consists of a control center, recreation area and robotics lab.

Support vehicles
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
From top left: General utility vehicle, Unmanned materials transport, Com-link Cruiser, Panther mobile AA cannon, Fossil recovery craft, UT-5 Crater Charger

The two Explorien vehicles are mods made largely from the pieces of two 6958 sets, and the base originally started like that too. The third vehicle is a mod of the 6453 Com-link Cruiser. This set doesn't fit in at all in the City line it was released in, but it makes a great Space rover.

Edited by CP5670, 20 April 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#2 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

That looks great :thumbup: I can't wait to see it progress as it is a WIP  :classic:

#3 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

Very cool.

My only nitpick is that the power station looks a little rough. I'd suggest putting some tiles on the exposed studs of the window to look a little more like the research hub.
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

#4 CP5670

CP5670

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I can't wait to see it progress as it is a WIP

The setup as a whole is a WIP that I will keep adding to, although the bases and other stuff I posted are more or less complete. This is sort of a Space equivalent of the town layouts people post in the City/Train forum. :classic:

My only nitpick is that the power station looks a little rough. I'd suggest putting some tiles on the exposed studs of the window to look a little more like the research hub.

That's a good idea, if you are referring to the studded plates on the roof (in front of the moving platform). In general, I like to keep studs visible and maintain a balance between studded and studless construction, but in that spot tiles would fit in better with the smooth look of the dome as you say.

#5 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker

• Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

I am not so into space these days but when I was a kid I always dreamed of having a space layout like this.  Great job!
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#6 Skipper 24

Skipper 24

• I live in Engalnd

Member: 1851

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

An impressive layout. I'm looking forward to seeing you expanding this and adding even more track.
Posted Image <-- Thanks Hound Knight
Flickr Brickshelf

#7 CP5670

CP5670

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

BUMP

I built another station for this over the last week or two, and added a motor on the Explorien radar array. Here's a video of the latter.

The pictures of the whole layout are now outdated, but I will be adding one more station and a bit more track soon, so I'll just update them when everything is finished.

#8 TheWarden

TheWarden

• Of their choice

Member: 10780

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

Oh, this is like I died and went to Futuron / Explorien heaven. Great flashback for 90's era Space.

How many monorail sets are needed for that amount of tracks? Or did they sell tracks standalone back then? I forget if I ever knew.

Looking forward to more.
New to being a AFOL & MOCcing but not new to LEGO itself. Don't have much yet, but:
My Flickr
My MOCPages (Out-Dated)

#9 ZO6

ZO6

• EB Adventurers Reviewer and now a Teacher

Member: 1532

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

I like the new additions.  Everything seems very well designed/logical and the amount of functionality is marvelous.  

Thanks for sharing.  Hope to keep seeing updates.

#10 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Nice - clean - very classic 90's space 'CP5670' - can't wait to see more pictures of your next additions. :sweet:
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#11 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:09 AM

Wow, very great collection of classic space sets/MOCs. The overall layout is pretty impressive, good job CP! :thumbup:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#12 Flare

Flare

• A phonemonanl speller

Member: 11759

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

Sweet! Great work!  :thumbup:  Very impressive  :classic:

Posted Image Benji Carvenhall in Heroica RPG          Posted Image

#13 CP5670

CP5670

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, guys. :classic:

How many monorail sets are needed for that amount of tracks? Or did they sell tracks standalone back then? I forget if I ever knew.

There were in fact some track packs. This setup consists of track from 6990, 6991, 6921 (track pack), a second incomplete 6991 and some switches I got off Bricklink. I've got another 6990 I haven't opened yet, so I plan to add the stuff from that to it at some point.

#14 Smack

Smack

Member: 10092

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

All of these sets came out during my dark ages but I am very jealous of all the sets you have and the layout as well!  This looks like you put a lot of hard work into it and it is much appreciated.  Please put more pics up when you have it completed!

#15 Ro13ey

Ro13ey

Member: 12197

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:46 AM

Nice, it reminds me of Doc's modified train from  Back To The Future 3.Posted Image

#16 CP5670

CP5670

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

BUMP

The JTF layout now has another addition. This station is a bit larger and more elaborate than the others. Check out the short conveyor video.

This was the last station module I had originally planned, but I've got some more ideas now for expanding the layout further, and I still need to add the remaining track I have. This is going to be a never ending project at this rate. :tongue:

#17 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Looks cool!  :thumbup:

I like the trans neon - but they`re begging for some lifelites  :grin:
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#18 randomoblong

randomoblong

Member: 19171

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thats a cool adddition.

I'd love to get hold of some of those hoses but am struggling to find them on bricklink, any idea what they're called?

#19 CP5670

CP5670

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Looks cool! :thumbup:

I like the trans neon - but they`re begging for some lifelites :grin:

Thanks. I need to get some of those lights. They would look especially nice on the laser fence if I can figure out how to stick them in there.

Thats a cool adddition.

I'd love to get hold of some of those hoses but am struggling to find them on bricklink, any idea what they're called?

They are called "hose, ribbed 7mm D" on there. They were originally introduced in Technic and are most often seen there, but also appear in many other themes these days.

#20 johnnyvgoode

johnnyvgoode

Member: 19563

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

I love it! My favorite part is the Uranium Processing Facility. Very inspiring work!  :classic:

#21 CP5670

CP5670

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

Thank you. I've been trying to strike a balance between adding fine details to these models and still preserving the look and feel of the original themes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users