Sign in to follow this  
Haltiamieli

[MOC] Wagon of the Vagabond Jesters

indexed.gifHere we have one of the first MOCs I've made since my dark ages, and the first one I'm daring to post on Eurobricks. Be gentle! I apologise for the mediocre photography.

Anyway, the MOC in question is a big and colourful wagon for the pair of jesters I've invited from the famous Bricklink Kingdom to entertain my meager medieval Lego populace for a while before they continue their journey to the other villages around. They weren't cheap, but I believe they were worth it nevertheless. Court jester (7953) is needed in the King's Castle, after all, so he can't be there for the common people.

vaunu1.jpg

Here they come, passing through the dull sceneries of White Paper Pass! I'm the first to admit that the wagon is quite ginormous and barely in any scale with the poor horses (or minifigs), but no can do. The door frame was one of the two things that determined the height of the wagon. If it wasn't for them I would've liked to build a lower and altogether a little smaller wagon. It will be interesting to see how this one compares with the upcoming King's Carriage, which is quite large too. At the moment I have only the tiny carts from Prison Carriage Rescue and Medieval Market Village to compare.

Part of the idea behind building the wagon was to have some use for some of my old yellow and red pieces, even though in the end I had to order some more from BL (I had only part of me and my brother's old collection at hand). Such bright colours aren't the most useful ones in Castle theme...

vaunu2.jpg

On the other side of the wagon is the stage. Not very pretty, I admit. The stage defined the size of the wagon too, because it had to be stationed over the wheels. I tried some decorations in the back of the wagon, not completely happy how they turned out though.

vaunu3.jpg

The roof of the wagon is detachable allowing access to the inside. There's a narrow bed in the back, a broom for cleaning and a chest where they can store the necessary utensils like pans and kettles. The food is cooked on the campfire outside, of course. At the side of the stage there's also a place to store the two posts that are used to support the stage when it's lowered down, but they are missing from the picture.

vaunu4.jpg

Here, as an example, our pair of jesters lower down the stage to show how it works. But always remember to release the horses from their harnesses before doing this! If you don't, you might risk the lives of those on the stage, in case the horses would get restless! Two Spartans had to donate their capes to make up the curtain.

legokyla1.jpg

Finally the wagon has arrived to the village and the show can start! Oh yeah, between taking this picture and the ones above I decided I don't like the flag on the roof and took it off.

legokyla2.jpg

Oh my, he dropped the third ball. :cry_sad:

x_prototype.jpg

As a bonus feature, here is my first draft of the wagon with random coloured bricks and less details. I have yet to design the driver's bench and the front of the wagon is one brick longer. And it is missing all the windows. It was just easier to build without them.

Edited by I Scream Clone

Very nice wagon! I was wondering when someone

would make a wagon like this, I just saw that shriek movie :grin:, I don't even think that is how you spell his name.

Well The minifigures were a great grab for this moc too. :sweet:

It looks really good, I like this MOC a lot, particularly the built-in stage for an instant performance for the jesters. The bright yellow-red combo also fits well the colorful nature of the jesters. Very well done! :thumbup:

Haltiamieli, good MOC to start out with. I'm really digging the yellow and red combo, it reminds me of the classic castle line. I wouldn't worry so much about the wagon's size, it strikes me just the right balance for a couple to live out of and work out of and I think the door and thus the height help to establish it as a wagon and not just a cart. Good job in including some playability to the piece, as well as some great details like the closing hatch to the driver's bench. I might suggest some either paneling texture or other decorations on the underside of the stage to give it more of a finished appearance when in travel mode, maybe use some of these flower parts to add to the festive look. Overall keep it up, also figuring out photography can take time, experience, trial and error it's a learning process :classic: kind of like building with lego.

I might suggest some either paneling texture or other decorations on the underside of the stage to give it more of a finished appearance when in travel mode, maybe use some of these flower parts to add to the festive look.

Very good suggestion, thanks a lot! I have to try that. :sweet:

This is great stuff.

Love the folding stage, indeed with some decoration it would look awesome. :thumbup:

A great inspiration for me, thanks very much.

Very good and colourful wagon 'Haltiamieli', even though vagabonds were not only jesters, but singers and story-tellers too ! :wink:

Brick On 'Haltiamieli' ! :wink:

It's a nice little MOC, Haltiamieli. The colours are fine for it, bringing some joy to an otherwise rather grey, black and brown world :wink: And I like the mix of old and new bricks, it's nice to see the old ones are still needed. - The roof of the wagon fits the style very well.

Now I had the chance, I also too a look at your village. It's really nice. And I can see that Hagrid also lives there :grin: What is the house behind the ones to the right? I don't recognize it.

I love that folding stage it fits so well. :classic: The wagon itself is cool and the horses pulling are nice.

Very nice MOC, Haltiamieli. I love the color scheme, and the stage is also nice.

Very nice wagon Haltiamieli. The coloring fits nicely and the interior is spaced perfectly. Also, the horses are detailed nicely as well.

Thanks to all for your encouraging comments :sweet:

Following Waterbrick Down's advice I tested applying some flowers to decorate the underside of the stage. It surely looks better now than before, but I'm not completely happy yet. Maybe I have to change the colours of some flowers, but I don't have much other than yellow, red and white ones. Got to add some others to the next BL orders.

flowered.jpg

Now I had the chance, I also too a look at your village. It's really nice. And I can see that Hagrid also lives there :grin: What is the house behind the ones to the right? I don't recognize it.

There's some more pics of the village in Brickshelf. Actually I don't have Hagrid, I bought the hut from eBay without the figures. In Hagrid's stead the hut is inhabited by the village witch and her daughter, it suits them well (though I did some changes, like removed the back door).

insidethehut.jpg

The house in the background is a small MOC based on one of the alternate builds of Apple Tree House.

legokyla9.jpg

smallhouse3.jpg

But this is somewhat off-topic already. :laugh: I'll probably make another topic for the whole village some day. Maybe when I've got Mill Village Raid and finished the MOC building that I'm working on now.

Edited by Haltiamieli

Thanks for the pictures of the houses of Legokylä. Well, Hagrid moved on, but the hut still inhabits magical people :wink: You're right, the hut fits very well for the witch. The other house is also great, I think the style fits a village. And incredibly, the man seems to enjoy to cut firewood.

But back to the main character. It breaks the all red impression to put the flowers on the stage. But maybe a fewer flowers would do the job, though it would break your pattern. Taken into account that the colours of the wagon are red and yellow, I'm not sure other colours should be used. But on the other hand. The owners are jesters...

That's a very cook wagon, Haltiamieli. i made a wagon awhile back, and it looks nowhere near as good as yours. The color scheme is cute, I think. And question, how heavy is it? I know it is an odd one, but those axles with the wooden wheels always seem a little dinky to hold up wagons, to me.

That is an amazing MOC!! The way you used colours is very good! I would never get that kind of idea to make a wagon like that!! Kiitos Haltiamieli!! :laugh:

And question, how heavy is it? I know it is an odd one, but those axles with the wooden wheels always seem a little dinky to hold up wagons, to me.

The whole wagon with the harness but without the horses and the jesters weighs about 280 grams. I suppose the wheels and axles can support that. Or at least I hope so :tongue:

I will try applying less flowers on the underside of the stage, but it will probably have to wait until August, as I'm spending the summer working in another city away from my Lego collection.