5 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I'd like to see another Egyptian theme. And the Orient theme was also very cool.

Yeah, count me in.

I'd like to see another thing happening: 9V trains... hrrr, hrrr...

..... yeah, I know, never going to happen..... *sad* :cry_sad:

Blacktron, Futuron, Castle had me very interested as a kid. I can't remember if I'm familiar with some Blacktron sets from having bought and built them or from staring at them so frequently. If I did buy them, I don't know where they are. The black and yellow color scheme and the astronaut helmets with visors was very appealing.

Here are a few themes I'd wish to see revisited at least in premise or purpose sometime in the near future. While I know some of them have had contemporary counterparts after the fact, I may personally consider those follow-ups lacking in some respect, hence feeling the need for a proper reboot that can live up to the original:

• ADVENTURERS: With 2011's Pharaoh's Quest, it didn't seem like that theme offered much promise for further globetrotting adventures beyond Egypt if there were any likelihood for future waves; so, here's to hoping the next in-house "Adventurers" theme has greater ambitions in those respects. :classic:
  • ATLANTIS: While it may have been a part of the broader "Aquazone" umbrella of action themes, I still hope to someday see this location revisited in a future action/adventure theme, even if it's next time under a broader Adventurers umbrella as a subtheme of such instead. 
  • EXO-FORCE: Though many have complained of the saturation of mecha across a wide variety of playthemes nowadays, that still doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see another System-based theme with a premise primarily revolving around such! If it'd turn out anything like Pacific Rim, they can most certainly take my money! 
  • MONSTER FIGHTERS: Man, an awful lotta people here on this topic sure were clamoring for this theme to return! And yeah, that theme really did have a lot going for it, even though I personally feel the sets it did offer were lacking in some respects. But, if they were to revisit at least its most basis premise (it's all in the name), I'd really love for it to take a Lovecraftian, Noir/Pulp approach next time around... :smug:
  • NEXO KNIGHTS: Yeah, I know there's a whole lotta loathing for this theme from many, but for me, it's my favorite of the in-house "big bang" themes seen from Lego in more recent history. While I don't necessarily wish to see them rehash the theme as it was verbatim, I'd at least hope to see Lego revisit the "futuristic knights and chivalry" trope someday for another all-new theme, perhaps next time either as a full-on Space theme or something within a Retrofuturistic vein.
  • RACERS: Speed Champions may be an awesome theme, but often I wish it were rather a part of a broader umbrella theme, much akin to what the former Racers theme was. Like Mecha, I know many of Racers' offerings have been accommodated in plenty of other preexisting themes currently, but there are some things those themes couldn't accommodate that a Racers theme could. 
  • TIME CRUISERS/TIME TWISTERS: As far as future action/adventure themes go, Lego's just gotta give time travel another chance, right? :shrug_oh_well:
Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:
  • NEXO KNIGHTS: Yeah, I know there's a whole lotta loathing for this theme from many, but for me, it's my favorite of the in-house "big bang" themes seen from Lego in more recent history. While I don't necessarily wish to see them rehash the theme as it was verbatim, I'd at least hope to see Lego revisit the "futuristic knights and chivalry" trope someday for another all-new theme, perhaps next time either as a full-on Space theme or something within a Retrofuturistic vein.

Maybe flip it around. Instead of historic knights in the future, have futuristic space-people in the past. Rockets built out of trees and so on!

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Maybe flip it around. Instead of historic knights in the future, have futuristic space-people in the past. Rockets built out of trees and so on!

I could get on board with that theme. Because so long as it doesn't rely hugely on pre-fab parts it would be a huge parts kit theme for Space, Pirate, Adventure and possibly City builders.
Even if the theme itself doesn't find a ton of fans I could see it being commercially successful.
Part of the Nexo issue for me was that I didn't see much use for the pieces in classic castle and the color scheme/ part selection was just off enough to not strike me as useable for neo-classic space.
Retro-futuristic feudal space theme could be hilariously awesome! I'm calling bronze diving bell helmets and ballista rocket launchers!

1 hour ago, Masked Mini said:

Part of the Nexo issue for me was that I didn't see much use for the pieces in classic castle and the color scheme/ part selection was just off enough to not strike me as useable for neo-classic space.

I agree. The sets grew on me after I owned a few, and those gold shield can be really useful for a bunch of heavy duty guards, but otherwise not so great for other uses.

3 hours ago, KotZ said:

I agree. The sets grew on me after I owned a few, and those gold shield can be really useful for a bunch of heavy duty guards, but otherwise not so great for other uses.

I bought a few for my daughter. Mostly the Macy ones (because Girl Hero / empowerment) and she liked Axl as well.
Maybe I'm comparing apples to carrots but I was really disappointed that Elves was cancelled.
Whereas Nexo cancellation only sucked because we never got the Tech Vampyres. Those were interesting looking and possibly quite useful.
I bought Elves for my daughter, two nieces and myself. My non-AFOL wife bought some for herself even. There was a theme that was actually quite useful beyond it's immediate target audience.

Space: I think I'd like to see Blacktron 1 make a comeback. Maybe an updated M-Tron but magnets in toys is problematic these days.
Castle: Wolfpack..! Maybe even something along the lines of the CMF Archer, a blend of Forestmen and Wolfpack bandits versus Crusaders? 
Pirates I. I'd like some updated Guards that blend better with the old pattern than the last pirate wave. And a proper Spanish Armada.

8 hours ago, MAB said:

Perhaps a Space theme that finds a crew of wormhole explorers stuck back in medieval times? :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

Retro-futuristic feudal space theme could be hilariously awesome! I'm calling bronze diving bell helmets and ballista rocket launchers!

I personally would wish to see such a theme specifically take a "Deco-Futuristic" route, with Tesla weaponry and armor much akin to this... 

flight_suit_by_joeharlow-d3lbdqb.jpg

...or maybe something more like this:

d9bnhu0-8a0b48b1-980e-408e-adcb-598a8f366f35.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QyN2Y2YWUyLTcwNjQtNGJhOS05NmQ0LWEzZWM0ZDc2MjY2ZFwvZDlibmh1MC04YTBiNDhiMS05ODBlLTQwOGUtYWRjYi01OThhOGYzNjZmMzUuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.2e5oqTSkmsVo8uMWj2ddzE3zIQHhicQ90H_Pv5H_Qts

3 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

I bought a few for my daughter. Mostly the Macy ones (because Girl Hero / empowerment) and she liked Axl as well.
Maybe I'm comparing apples to carrots but I was really disappointed that Elves was cancelled.
Whereas Nexo cancellation only sucked because we never got the Tech Vampyres. Those were interesting looking and possibly quite useful.
I bought Elves for my daughter, two nieces and myself. My non-AFOL wife bought some for herself even. There was a theme that was actually quite useful beyond it's immediate target audience.

Space: I think I'd like to see Blacktron 1 make a comeback. Maybe an updated M-Tron but magnets in toys is problematic these days.
Castle: Wolfpack..! Maybe even something along the lines of the CMF Archer, a blend of Forestmen and Wolfpack bandits versus Crusaders? 
Pirates I. I'd like some updated Guards that blend better with the old pattern than the last pirate wave. And a proper Spanish Armada.

Didn't the Tech Vampyres get released in the final wave? I never paid attention to the story for Nexo Knights. Why are magnets a problem now?

I'd love a Wolfpack theme again that mixed old and new. And a proper Spanish Armada would be fantastic.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps a Space theme that finds a crew of wormhole explorers stuck back in medieval times? :shrug_oh_well:

I personally would wish to see such a theme specifically take a "Deco-Futuristic" route, with Tesla weaponry and armor much akin to this... 

flight_suit_by_joeharlow-d3lbdqb.jpg

...or maybe something more like this:

d9bnhu0-8a0b48b1-980e-408e-adcb-598a8f366f35.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2QyN2Y2YWUyLTcwNjQtNGJhOS05NmQ0LWEzZWM0ZDc2MjY2ZFwvZDlibmh1MC04YTBiNDhiMS05ODBlLTQwOGUtYWRjYi01OThhOGYzNjZmMzUuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.2e5oqTSkmsVo8uMWj2ddzE3zIQHhicQ90H_Pv5H_Qts

Basically some LEGO Warhammer 40k vibes?

I’d like to see returns to those one off/short lived action themes from a few years back. Atlantis, Pharoah’s Quest, Monster Fighters, Alien Conquest, Galaxy Squad, & Dino. I really liked all these themes & would love to see any of them come back. I think I’d like to see PQ the most though, the new baddies parts we got were amazing. 

I am seeing these interesting considerations in the thread and I can't help wondering if anyone at Lego will ever bother, I am not saying to ponder them, but at least to read them. And the same goes for many other threads in this forum. Saddening thought.

3 hours ago, astral brick said:

I am seeing these interesting considerations in the thread and I can't help wondering if anyone at Lego will ever bother, I am not saying to ponder them, but at least to read them. And the same goes for many other threads in this forum. Saddening thought.

I certainly hope they are, because that's one of the primary reasons I joined Eurobricks: To catch their ear (or somebody's at least)... :shrug_confused:

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I’d like to see returns to those one off/short lived action themes from a few years back. Atlantis, Pharoah’s Quest, Monster Fighters, Alien Conquest, Galaxy Squad, & Dino. I really liked all these themes & would love to see any of them come back. I think I’d like to see PQ the most though, the new baddies parts we got were amazing. 

While I'd like to see any of those themes return to build themselves some Ninjago-sized legacies, with what we have now, I'll gladly settle for one-and-done runs once again (just as long as they try something new next time around). :sceptic:

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

Basically some LEGO Warhammer 40k vibes?

At least something Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Decopunk, Teslapunk, Raypunk... :wink:

j-otto-szatmari-acrop-con-01final-012800.jpg?1559851227

8 hours ago, KotZ said:

Why are magnets a problem now?

Because kids/teenagers were eating them. A couple were fairly grievously injured (possibly killed) when the magnets started to push through their intestines and organs to connect internally. In particular I'm thinking of a magnet ball toy that used I believe neodymium magnets.

So with litigation culture it's not impossible to use magnets in toys but at the least it's an extra risk that you'd need to convince the lawyers/ board to take.

I fear that is why we will not see a revival of Magnet-Tron as a theme. Which sucks because it was pretty doggone awesome.

On a separate note, I would be on board with a deco-futuristic theme. Especially that second picture, it has opportunities for reusing the molds for a castle line. Upping the reuse factor and crossover ability of a wanted theme should bring an increased ROI and make it more likely to pass the beancounters.

1 hour ago, Masked Mini said:

Because kids/teenagers were eating them. A couple were fairly grievously injured (possibly killed) when the magnets started to push through their intestines and organs to connect internally. In particular I'm thinking of a magnet ball toy that used I believe neodymium magnets.

Was this before or after the tidepod craze?

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I'd like to see any of those themes return to build themselves some Ninjago-sized legacies, with what we have now, I'll gladly settle for one-and-done runs once again (just as long as they try something new next time around). :sceptic:

For sure, I was happy that we got so much great stuff in a short amount of time. I don’t think I could pick one to get rid of in favor of another wave of any other. I quite liked the model of it, the variety we got was awesome. 

23 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

I could get on board with that theme. Because so long as it doesn't rely hugely on pre-fab parts it would be a huge parts kit theme for Space, Pirate, Adventure and possibly City builders.
Even if the theme itself doesn't find a ton of fans I could see it being commercially successful.

I think there were quite a few Nexo Knights parts that were very useful for historic and fantasy contexts:

• 1x1x2/3 pyramids (22388/35343/35344)
  • 2x3 pentagon tiles (22385/35339/35341)
  • The new book pieces (24093/24324/28684/29167), which are much more minifig compatible than the old books originally designed for Belville.
  • The new ponytail (22411)
  • The new spike/steeple/spear tip (24482)
  • Visor/face shield neck accessory (22495)
  • Straight sword blade (23860)
  • Lightning bolt (27256)
  • 2x2 rock texture slope (27261)
  • Recolored beard and wig with crown from King Halbert (6145153/6183763)
  • Lots of fantasy-friendly figure and accessory pieces (prints, molds, and recolors alike) from the monsters and the builds associated with them.

The main parts that were more specifically sci-fi in appearance were the printed elements and new minifigure accessory molds… but then, considering how much griping I see even about the graphic designs in the 2013 Castle sets and the graphics/molds/colors from Knights' Kingdom 2, I'm not sure sets without the sci-fi twist would have had a surer chance of pleasing Castle fans with very particular tastes.

And while that sci-fi or brightly-colored stuff may have understandably reduced the Nexo Knights' value to historic builders as parts packs, there were plenty of other sets which reused the same parts with a much more historic-friendly brick assortment, like the Disney castle, Ninjago dragons, and Harry Potter sets. I hope a lot find use in the next take on LEGO Castle as well!

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Snipped a very good "defense" of nexo knights.

You make some very good points here. While I don't agree with all of the listed bricks and your takes most of what you listed I actually seek out and want to use. I'm still waiting to lay my hands on mass quantities of the Pentagon tiles in grey for instance. Maybe I'm judging nexo knights more from the emotion rather than logic.

And you're totally right regarding the, shall we say, highly polarized views regarding kingdoms 2. Legoland and even System era castle had set a very high bar, raised higher by nostalgia. Nexo even without scifi and neon colours would probably have gotten roasted pretty hard.

9 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

On a separate note, I would be on board with a deco-futuristic theme. Especially that second picture, it has opportunities for reusing the molds for a castle line. Upping the reuse factor and crossover ability of a wanted theme should bring an increased ROI and make it more likely to pass the beancounters.

Which "second picture" might I ask? The Teslapunk Warhammer Knight or the cityscape artwork? :shrug_confused:

46 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Which "second picture" might I ask? The Teslapunk Warhammer Knight or the cityscape artwork? :shrug_confused:

Sorry about being unclear. The Teslapunk Warhammer Knight.
It gives me just the right amount of grimdark tingles and the aesthetic isn't far off "real" castle.
Nor Gunpowder era either come to look at the coat and legs a little closer, with breastplate and open face helm or a shako it would be a nice transition piece from Knights to Napoleonic (?).

13 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

Sorry about being unclear. The Teslapunk Warhammer Knight.
It gives me just the right amount of grimdark tingles and the aesthetic isn't far off "real" castle.
Nor Gunpowder era either come to look at the coat and legs a little closer, with breastplate and open face helm or a shako it would be a nice transition piece from Knights to Napoleonic (?).

It is a pretty cool look, hence why I featured it here as a hypothetical option for such; but, for me, the aesthetic direction I'd really want such a theme to head is more towards a heavy Jazz Age Art Deco look. While I can't find any particular artwork for a knight or feudal archetype within that vein, architecturally, Emerald City as portrayed in Disney's 2013 prequel Oz: The Great and Powerful is probably the closest citable example for how I'd like to see a castle done within such a theme (just not as green):

ECityINTCourtyard_View1_DC_v02.jpg?formaOZ_SPI_VFX_09A.jpgOz_TGAP_6_W.jpg

To be fair I believe almost all the original themes deserve to be revisited in some capacity... But If I had to pick one, it would be without much thinking Bionicle. Sure, we did get the 2015-2016 reboot, but that was very, very mishandled. I would want to see it rebooted in it's authentic form, to the point where it 100% captures the essence of the original.

Edited by Lego David

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

To be fair I believe almost all the original themes deserve to be revisited in some capacity... But If I had to pick one, it would be without much thinking Bionicle. Sure, we did get the 2015-2016 reboot, but that was very, very mishandled. I would want to see it rebooted in it's authentic form, to the point where it 100% captures the essence of the original.

There's been weird rumors/memes on the Bionicle memes subreddit about a G3 release.

6 hours ago, KotZ said:

There's been weird rumors/memes on the Bionicle memes subreddit about a G3 release.

At this point there is no confirmation of a G3, or even if LEGO would be involved in it. Christian Faber, one of the original LEGO employees who came up with the idea for Bionicle, has started teasing a new project made by himself that may or may not turn out to be a G3, but which looks to be pretty amazing from the artworks we have gotten so far. It's unknown at this point if this project would be done with LEGO or independent from LEGO, but all we can do is hope that Faber succeeds with whatever he is planning.

If you want to find out more about this, there is a whole discussion about the topic on the TTV Message Boards:   http://board.ttvchannel.com/t/310n-discussion-christian-faber/48962.

Edited by Lego David

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It is a pretty cool look, hence why I featured it here as a hypothetical option for such; but, for me, the aesthetic direction I'd really want such a theme to head is more towards a heavy Jazz Age Art Deco look. While I can't find any particular artwork for a knight or feudal archetype within that vein, architecturally, Emerald City as portrayed in Disney's 2013 prequel Oz: The Great and Powerful is probably the closest citable example for how I'd like to see a castle done within such a theme (just not as green):

ECityINTCourtyard_View1_DC_v02.jpg?forma

One half of Lonely Mountain was not far off that.

hobbit_lego_h_2014.jpg

And that shows some of the problem. Creating something epic looking in even a £100 / $130 set is always going to look a bit ... lacking.