Sign in to follow this  
jamie75

Want a new Falcon for $10 - TICKETS SOLD OUT!

Mike, one last thing, my toes hurt now! Thanks, chubby!

Well at least you can join the competition *y*

Not more then fare as it was your idea.

A millenium falcon for 10 bucks *wub*

Sign me up for two of them tickets!

I can almost feel the victory already!

KimT

Wow, a Falcon contest :'-) count me in for a ticket as well!!

Thanks for setting this up guys, you rock!

-Joe-

I thought you didn't pay import duty on something if it was marked as a gift!

Jamie

Can someone please find out about this?

'Cause when we Europeans would have to pay a lot of money for the customs, this really should be discussed...

Count me in with 2 Tickets please.

*vader*

Can someone please find out about this?

'Cause when we Europeans would have to pay a lot of money for the customs, this really should be discussed...

Count me in with 2 Tickets please.

*vader*

It's kinda hard getting stuff through customs, but if the parcel is marked at a lower value like 100USD, then the tax added is similar lower than it would be when marked 500USD. - and this somehow has a 10USD value. As for the gift no tax thing, well YES! gifts are not taxed until a certain value. And I do believe this parcel is worth more than the non-taxable gift value.

KimT

(I usually get the LEGO removed from the box and polybags by sender and that confuses customs to allow it in at a low tax rate)

Jamie - I honestly thought RAS & mine idea about the draw at the event was good and beats the one decided |-/ - but it

Ok. Jamie, count me in for one more... 2 that is in total then...

Tickets On

A couple of thoughts:

- We can sell 65 tickets = $650.

- The Falcon will be ordered in the US. Based on my order, the total is about $540 (including tax.)

- If the winner is in the US we can try to change the ship to address and get the free shipping.

- If the winner is overseas, the addtional $110 will go to cover the cost of shipping to the winner's country.

- The person receiving all the Paypal money will incur a fee. I looked at my paypal account and I received a payment of $10.99 and Paypal took $.62 from it. Based on that and approximate paypal charge for 65 payments will be about $40. That needs to come out of the $650.

- So, after all that, there is about $70 left over to ship the Falcon either within the US (if we can't get the free shipping) or overseas. I have no idea if that is reasonable or not. Maybe someone can help out with that.

- If $70 is sufficient to ship, then great! If not, the winner will need to pay the difference.

- If there is any left over money, I suggest we donate it to Eurobricks to cover the costs of the website.

Thoughts?

Great idea. Please stick me down for a ticket if there are any left.

John

Reading news and forums for a long time, this is my first day as a member today !

How many fans could buy this UCs Falcon at this price ?! This is a super idea

You need two members who are not participating in the drawing. You could have one person make a list of all the participants and give them a number. You would then have a second person pick a random number between 1 and the number of participants. Obviously, the person picking the random number is not supposed to see the list and therefore has no idea and can't fix the drawing. The person who matches up with the picked number wins.

NO!

Doing it that way, the person selecting the "random" number will still go within the middle two quarters, almost all the time. Ergo, whoever has the numbers 1-10 or (say) 40-50 has almost zero chance. Those occupying those places on the list could be put there at the deliberate choice of the creator of the list. I'm not disputing the scruples of EB members, just pointing out the falacy of such a system. Even compuerised random number generators will work in this way.

As far as I can think, the only fair way is the old "hat" draw. Maybe we should write to or e-mail the park manager in advance to increase the chances of getting his help?

To push this a little further to the end: Sign me up for 3 (three) tickets, please. *wub*

BTW, great idea to draw the winner in G

Since we've now sold 49 tickets, shall we all agree on a maximum ticket amount now? Say, 65 tickets sold, and then the contest is over?

Since we've now sold 49 tickets, shall we all agree on a maximum ticket amount now? Say, 65 tickets sold, and then the contest is over?

Probably a good idea. I also think that there should be a payment deadline to ensure that all ticket holders are serious about this. If people fail to pay by the deadline, the raffle could be re-opened in order to fill out the ranks.

Probably a good idea. I also think that there should be a payment deadline to ensure that all ticket holders are serious about this. If people fail to pay by the deadline, the raffle could be re-opened in order to fill out the ranks.

Go ahead and put me down for one more ticket, for a total of 2 please!!!

Ooh, I'll try to get a ticket. This sounds fun!

-ZotS

So shall I add you to the list?

NO!

Doing it that way, the person selecting the "random" number will still go within the middle two quarters, almost all the time. Ergo, whoever has the numbers 1-10 or (say) 40-50 has almost zero chance. Those occupying those places on the list could be put there at the deliberate choice of the creator of the list. I'm not disputing the scruples of EB members, just pointing out the falacy of such a system. Even compuerised random number generators will work in this way.

As far as I can think, the only fair way is the old "hat" draw. Maybe we should write to or e-mail the park manager in advance to increase the chances of getting his help?

Yes, I agree the 'hat' draw at the park in front of several members is the best if it can be done. That way there is no disputing who won and it adds to the excitement. The deadline for sending in the payment can be a couple of days before the event and one of the members can take the list and everything could be done on site.

Is there a list of people going available so that we can identify a couple of people to facilitate this?

I'm assuming through Paypal as the OP mentioned a Paypal fee somewhere down the line...?

Based on my calculations, quantity 65 $10 paypal payments would result in an approximate $40 fee total. That would be taken from the $650 leaving $610 available. Figure the Falcon costs $540 with tax that leaves $70 available for shipping.

OK: if we have to reach 65, then count me in for a second ticket!

RoscoPC