MrSmith

Help with Lego software

Hello, I am new here

I hope I am asking in the right section, I am really only interested in Lego Technics......

I am looking for some Lego software to design Technic models in,

I downloaded the Lego Digital Design software, but it seems a lot of pieces are missing, especally in regards to Technics.

Am I missing something with the software?

Or is there better software out there for this?

thanks

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

I'm moving this to the LEGO Digital Designer and other digital tools section. :wink:

I can recommend sr3d builder. Because it works like ldd and it has the functions of mlcad and even more. It is even mostly made for LEGO Technic, with an animation console to test your technic funtions. :thumbup:

I downloaded the Lego Digital Design software, but it seems a lot of pieces are missing, especally in regards to Technics.

Am I missing something with the software?

Did you switched to LDD Extended view? LDD supports basic LDD view, Mindstorms view a LDD Extended view with all 2500+ parts available.

I will also try installing SR 3D builder again. It crashed after installing it with the all-in-one installer :hmpf_bad:

It does look like a great program.

Don't forget to save often though. Sometimes when you do certain things in a certain order, or perhaps wish to use the hose/tube function it usually crashes....

Yes, but since the last update it occurs less often. :thumbup:

But still, I can live with it, it's still in beta :classic:

I will also try installing SR 3D builder again. It crashed after installing it with the all-in-one installer :hmpf_bad:

It does look like a great program.

Follow this link to download the latest version. It works like a charm, and is much more suited for technic building than any of the other programmes, as far as I know.

Great job, Sergio! :thumbup:

Did you switched to LDD Extended view? LDD supports basic LDD view, Mindstorms view a LDD Extended view with all 2500+ parts available.

Yes I did try that

do you have to install anything else for all the pieces to be available or should they all just be there?

thanks for everyone for your replis

:classic:

Yes I did try that

do you have to install anything else for all the pieces to be available or should they all just be there?

thanks for everyone for your replis

:classic:

Hi,

everything you need is installed with the installer if you download it from the official web site.

Anyway you can add and use most of the MLCad program tools to render your models and to create instructions.

Refer to following link for further information http://www.ldraw.org/article/104.html

Sergio

(author of SR 3D Builder)

PS: thanks to everybody for encouraging my works

Edit: never mind.

Edited by Gekke Ted

Yes I did try that

In LDD Extended mode view you should see palette containing all bricks (all of them are usually in a red color, you can color them later). This represents all available bricks. Bricks not present in this palette are not available in LDD yet. Do you miss some particular brick? You can add it at least to the wish list topic, so that it will be taken into consideration during next update.

Hi newbie here to Lego Digital Design, 'Im trying ot build a V-8 motor and I cant get the piston to go into the cylinder. Is there a way to do this? any Help would be very appreciative

Hi newbie here to Lego Digital Design, 'Im trying ot build a V-8 motor and I cant get the piston to go into the cylinder. Is there a way to do this? any Help would be very appreciative

Hi there and welcome to EB.

To get best possible help, share some more details about your problem:

1) What software are you using?

2) Exactly which parts are you trying to fit together?

3) What have you tried so far?

4) If possible, please share your file.

Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

To answer your questions:

1) What software are you using?

Lego Digital Designer 4.3 Windows

2) Exactly which parts are you trying to fit together?

Plastic Motor, Piston

Plastic Motor, Crank

Plastic Motor, Main Rod

Plastic Motor, Crank/Cross

Plastic Motor, Cylinder

Attempting a V8

3) What have you tried so far?

I have got the piston to fit into the cylinder for assembly, but I cannot set connect the main rods up because the cylinder stays at TDC and I can't align the crank pieces.

4) If possible, please share your file.

Right now the file is messy (Stray pices and test assemblies ) I will clean it up and submit it if I can figure out how

Ford GT V8.lxf

Edited by Methos

@ Methos: Zblj also modeled a V8 engine in LDD, which I have placed on SkyDrive here. The 30-45 seconds it will take you to do a quick download will be a lot less time than modeling this engine block youself in LDD! If you want a V6, just peel off two cylinders.

Sorry to ask again, I am trying design a custom engine and wanted to khow how does someone position the pistons inside the cylinders. I want to change the angle and wanted to know how to position the piston inside on different levels? (TDC vs BDC vs in between)