marshal_banana

WW Category 2: 1908 Wild West Town

Supporter's choice  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Which building should be implemented first?

Whos is gonna be the 9th K supporter ? ... Could be you !!! :P

Nope, I've already voted. :wink:

9000+ votes, by the way! :thumbup:

Nope, I've already voted. :wink:

9000+ votes, by the way! :thumbup:

wow 1000 votes in a week. MODERATOR TIME FOR A NEW FRONT PAGE! lol keep it up, I want this to be made official!

wander who's going to be the 10k voter...

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

I will cringe if My little pony gets to 10,000 before this does, so many other cuusoo ideas have passed 10,000 in a short while because of fandom. This Wild West Town is a truly deserving Cuusoo project because it closest to what Lego would build themselves.

I'm very curious about whether or not LEGO will actually give green light to the four projects that recently made it. Most of these will require new licenses... Not so for this modular town though. So my guess that the project actually has a higher chance than most of the other even though it has more of a 'steady as she goes' rise in followers.

I agree this might have a better chance of clearing review, though I worry a bit that it is too much a "consumer direct" project and not aimed enough at the kiddies.

I worry a bit that it is too much a "consumer direct" project and not aimed enough at the kiddies.

That's not necessarily a problem, you just pitch the marketing, the price-point and your manufacturing quantities differently. A one-off CUSCOO project is always going to be in the "consumer direct" realm rather than having it's own double page spread in the annual catalogue. The word of mouth that got it 10,000 votes will hopefully generate it 10,000 sales. Again marginally more chance with the WW town where people from the Lego buying community voted for it because they wantted it rather than some celebrity telling their fans that it would be a good wheeze if they all voted for this toy thing.

I agree this might have a better chance of clearing review, though I worry a bit that it is too much a "consumer direct" project and not aimed enough at the kiddies.

Right and a ten year old would know about BTTF or Firefly :blush: ....maybe Zelda being a video game, but then the wild west....good guys vs bad guys that's how kids see it so it would work ! :classic:

Though I don't remember any of the Cuusoo creations being aimed at children ? :wink:

Its edging closer to the magic 10,000 mark by the day. I do think this would be a very worthy model, with no license to back it up its getting to the finishing line through build quality and some deserving encouragement from the AFOL community. With no license it should be a more straight forward decision than any of the other recent models to reach 10,000 votes and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be made. I'd be delighted to see any of the buildings made up, my preference would be the sheriffs office.

We're getting closer... About 750 votes was all that was needed last time I checked! :excited:

I think TLG will likely produce this project. My personal favourite building is the Saloon. Keep on voting!

Edited by purpleparadox

Though I don't remember any of the Cuusoo creations being aimed at children ? :wink:

The given rational for NOT doing "Shawn of the Dead" was it would not market well to their core audience of 5-11 year olds or something. Then again the CUUSSO projects that have already been made weren't really super kid friendly either... Just sayin'.

Then again the CUUSSO projects that have already been made weren't really super kid friendly either... Just sayin'.

You have to look at the spectrum of people that are making submissions, in general they're AFOLs who are good at building models. A good model doesn't necessarily make a good playset. Case in point, Defel Cardan's designs are amazing pieces of art, uterlly useless as a set you could sell in a shop. Your average 6-11 year old will get bored after the 3rd 1x1 round plate!

I also think that once people have started to see what gets approved and what doesn't, then they'll adapt to give themselves a better chance at the submission process. Ie. concentrate on child friendly themes, themes that don't overlap with existing product lines and models that could be built from instructions.

Just at TLG are working out how their side of the process should be handled so must the submission community.

What interests me is that there are very few castle submissions on CUSCOO. Given the popularity of the theme and classic castle currently being displaced in favour of LOTR I'd have thought that there's an area there that's ripe for development. Conversely those of us that would like to see a Greek/Roman theme should get ourselves aligned behind one of the submissions and start pushing it properly. Get a steady momentum behind it like the Wild West Town has done and get it towards the frontpage where non-historic AFOL's might see it and give it a bit of a push.

The given rational for NOT doing "Shawn of the Dead" was it would not market well to their core audience of 5-11 year olds or something. Then again the CUUSSO projects that have already been made weren't really super kid friendly either... Just sayin'.

I do see your point however I do believe that the majority of the Cuusoo market will be AFOLs.

What interests me is that there are very few castle submissions on CUSCOO. Given the popularity of the theme and classic castle currently being displaced in favour of LOTR I'd have thought that there's an area there that's ripe for development. Conversely those of us that would like to see a Greek/Roman theme should get ourselves aligned behind one of the submissions and start pushing it properly. Get a steady momentum behind it like the Wild West Town has done and get it towards the frontpage where non-historic AFOL's might see it and give it a bit of a push.

I was wandering about that, am hoping that we get a castle project (maybe DC's villiage durnovaria?)as a project.

nearly there! just over 500 votes to go!

maybe DC's villiage durnovaria?

Noooo! That's almost the last project we should submit. No offence to Derfel I think his designs are amazing pieces of artwork, but they're unbuildable as a model that could be sold in shops. Think simpler!

Edited by The_Cook

Noooo! That's almost the last project we should submit. No offence to Derfel I think his designs are amazing pieces of artwork, but they're unbuildable as a model that could be sold in shops. Think simpler!

if it goes through the cuusoo review it will most definatly be made simpler, i was just think a medieval village and durnovaria was the first that came to mind, so just think of that as an example :laugh:

I agree with the points made. I have not yet submitted anything to this yet as my current mocs would just not work as a kids play set. However, I've been watching Cuusoo for a while now and I'm going to design some sets that will work as a playable set which could be sold. You don't have to sacrifice detail for playabilty, It's a case of finding the right balance. The problem is, it seems to mainly be well know lisenced ideas that get a lot of backing. If a good set can be designed that instantly attracts both afols and kids, then we as a forum should get behind. Let's be realistic here, isall very well posting huge models and mocs that are based on a license, but it's not really going to work is it? What people need to do is build something that could actually be a set, build it with some interesting colors and parts and then get everyone behind it. It will have a realistic chance of being made, Lego won't have to try and obtain another license, and we get a cool set with great parts and colors.

Posting fully rigged custom ships and huge detailed mocs is probably the wrong way to go. I sometimes wonder if people post stuff there just to show off, without real thought into what would actually make a good set.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great mocs on Cuusoo, but the majority will just not work as they have been built as a fancy moc for show and not as a thought out playset.

That's why I havn't bothered posting anything of mine on there, as they are just fancy builds and useless as a playset.

The western town works well, it might be large and Lego won't release it as one whole set, but it is made up of indiviual buildings that would make good sets on their own as they have interiors and playabilty there. So it has been a good one to support as there's a good chance they could release a singlular building and add a few extra playabilty tweaks.

9570 as i type this - over 1000 votes in a week - Mods - is it a time for a frontpage boost again, because this is surely going to hit 10,000 in a matter of days.

Marshall, fingers crossed - I'm saving my pennies already.

The Saloon is so detailed! the SNOT building is just amazing, and the car is so unique. This is just an amazing MOC. TLG should really bring back the Western sets.

9570 as i type this - over 1000 votes in a week - Mods - is it a time for a frontpage boost again, because this is surely going to hit 10,000 in a matter of days.

hasn't been 24 hours since this post and over 100 votes (105 to be exact) have been placed, getting there!

DC I guess you are right, I wait to see your designs! (make sure you add a few 1x1s :laugh:)

I agree with the points made. I have not yet submitted anything to this yet as my current mocs would just not work as a kids play set. However, I've been watching Cuusoo for a while now and I'm going to design some sets that will work as a playable set which could be sold. You don't have to sacrifice detail for playabilty, It's a case of finding the right balance. The problem is, it seems to mainly be well know lisenced ideas that get a lot of backing. If a good set can be designed that instantly attracts both afols and kids, then we as a forum should get behind. Let's be realistic here, isall very well posting huge models and mocs that are based on a license, but it's not really going to work is it? What people need to do is build something that could actually be a set, build it with some interesting colors and parts and then get everyone behind it. It will have a realistic chance of being made, Lego won't have to try and obtain another license, and we get a cool set with great parts and colors.

Posting fully rigged custom ships and huge detailed mocs is probably the wrong way to go. I sometimes wonder if people post stuff there just to show off, without real thought into what would actually make a good set.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great mocs on Cuusoo, but the majority will just not work as they have been built as a fancy moc for show and not as a thought out playset.

That's why I havn't bothered posting anything of mine on there, as they are just fancy builds and useless as a playset.

The western town works well, it might be large and Lego won't release it as one whole set, but it is made up of indiviual buildings that would make good sets on their own as they have interiors and playabilty there. So it has been a good one to support as there's a good chance they could release a singlular building and add a few extra playabilty tweaks.

I would by one of your Lego kits just for the challenge of it. I entertain myself sometimes by attempting to build small/medium size sets without instructions. I think the main concern with a set is in keeping the cost/parts down for the size of the set. A lot of the snot techniques use up a lot of parts but don't take up a lot of space. Still I think your right about making a set that actually is a set Lego could produce for kids and has playability and fun in it as opposed to just being challenging to build or purely a rigid sculpture.

What kind of sets do you have in mind, what would be the contents? Medieval house, tower, small castle or outpost?

Veeery close: 9800+ now...

10000 tomorrow? Definitively in time for the June review round.