Looking back on the Diono island subtheme a rehash of 5975 T-Rex Transport would be pretty nice as well as 5935 Island Hopper.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

I don't think this will wind up being too much like Dino Attack - in previous theme re-hashes, LEGO's been pretty good about keeping everything fresh while still referencing the source material. Space Police 3 was unquestionably about Space Police, yet it bore little resemblance to the Space sets from the 90s. Pharaoh's Quest was a little more similar to Adventurers, but it was still very distinct (mummy warriors are definitely new to LEGO).

Based on that trend, I think that even if Dino 2012 is a "re-hash" of Dino Attack, it will still bring its own ideas to the table. Hopefully, that means overweaponized futuristic vehicles and mutant dinosaurs are unlikely.

I don't really want any LEGO Flinstones, though.

I agree, Lego is pretty good at having themes be different from there predecessors. I mean look at Atlantis and Aqua Raiders. Sure there both divers and creatures under the sea the divers have to fight, but Atlantis had mythical creatures and Atlantis mixed in. And Ninjago is very different from any other Lego Ninja theme.

I might pick up a few small ones if it is like Dino Attack, or Dino 2010. Not if there cavemen though, I'm not buying a creationist Lego set. If it is like Dino Attack and the Dinosaurs and vehicles look cool, I'll probably get some.

Are there gonna be impulse sets?Are dinosaurs brick-built or like in dino 2010?Are the gonna be any caves,volcanos,etc?

I don't know. Are there?

Why all the hatred towards cavemen in a theme? Of course it's not realistic. Any dinosaur theme with people in it is unrealistic. Realistically, there could have been prehistoric people on the Adventurers' Dino Island many years before the theme took place, and they would have been living alongside the dinosaurs just by virtue of the dinos' survival.

Naturally, I don't expect cavemen to be involved. Cavemen in any form probably would remind people too much of the Flintstones and make it difficult for people to take the theme seriously (as has already been shown here). But the idea of cavemen living alongside dinosaurs is just as valid a foundation for a good story as any 20th-century adventure theme involving surviving dinosaurs would be-- possibly slightly less in that cavemen are harder to relate to as protagonists than modern man, but it could be done.

Meanwhile, I find the "creationist set" comment insulting. So anything with people and dinosaurs living at the same time is promoting a religious agenda? That's the same sort of logic used by the people who think the Harry Potter series, because it contains magic, is an occultist tool for corrupting children. It's also probably insulting to religious folks here who don't support young-Earth creationism. That's as far as I'll go with that because I don't want to spark a religious or political debate, I just think that a comment like that is really unfair even in jest.

Are there gonna be impulse sets?Are dinosaurs brick-built or like in dino 2010?Are the gonna be any caves,volcanos,etc?

It's already been said that the dinos are molds.

I apologize for the creationist comment, I'm not trying to be anti semitic. I have nothing against creationists, I was just trying to say that the cavemen and dinosaurs living together resembled creationism. If I offended anyone, I apologize, please forgive me.

A Jurassic Park styled theme sounds great to me. I've always liked the first two and ironically I'm watching part 3 on tv right now. If they actually use some of the movie vehicles I would like it even more.

It would be really cool to see some lesser-known dinos and other prehistoric beasts.

A Dunkleosteus, for example would be an awesome model. Or maybe we'll get some crossed species like the Chaos Effect Jurassic Park toys. That could potentially be awesome right there, provided we are given enough parts to make each respective dino on its own

Why all the hatred towards cavemen in a theme? Of course it's not realistic. Any dinosaur theme with people in it is unrealistic. Realistically, there could have been prehistoric people on the Adventurers' Dino Island many years before the theme took place, and they would have been living alongside the dinosaurs just by virtue of the dinos' survival.

I think I started the Cavemen and Dinos hatred, so I will explain my feelings. It isn't only that it's unrealistic, because really, most of the Lego themes are unrealistic and we still collect them and play create with them. The problem is that cavemen and dinos is unrealistic in a cheesy throwback sort of way that's strongly reminiscent of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon or a really bad science fiction movie.

A lot of people did used to think that cavemen and dinosaurs really lived concurrently, and they wrote terrible stories about cavemen hunting dinosaurs and used that idea for lots of corny comics. It's one of the first gags in Mel Brooks' History of the World, and even when that movie came out it was already a fairly tired old gag. We know better now, and to see a theme that went back to that silly misconception would be kind of like seeing Star Wars with Little Green Men from Mars in a tin foil flying saucer that glowed in the dark.

You could go places with a theme that used some of those tropes intelligently. Using smart references to those cheesy old sci-fi ideas could give you a theme like, I don't know, let's call it ALIEN CONQUEST! (A theme that I love, BTW). But I think it would be pretty hard to pull off something like that with cavemen and dinos and not have it end up corny as hell. I think chances are it would be annoying and ruin people's suspension of disbelief.

One day, someone out there is going to create an amazing story involving a Cro-Magnon tribe exploring an isolated valley and discovering a breeding population of ticked-off dinosaurs. It will be a great story full of subtle humanizing touches for the cavemen and remarkable speculations on dinosaur behavior, all of which link up to give the audience great insights from an alternate point of view on modern human life. It will win a Hugo Award and maybe a Teen Choice nomination. But I doubt that Lego will be the medium for that story.

If it's any consolation it was the whole Alien Conquest vibe I was thinking of when I first suggested cavemen and dinosaurs. I still think you could do a fun theme like that as long as it's tounge-in-cheek enough. And to be honest, I think I'd rather see children playing with something like that than another gun filled theme of humans vs dinosaurs.

I hope there are molded parts with bricks like the Castle Fantasy Era and Ninjago dragons. Besides dinosaurs, I hope we get a sabertoothed tiger.

I'd take Jurassic Park or cavemen style sets (with primative weapons!). I'm not much for realism for this theme because I don't expect it to be, and it's a toy meant to be fun.

Besides dinosaurs, I hope we get a sabertoothed tiger.

If it will be as popular,as Power Miners,Atlantis and Ninjago,i think there will be 2013 year sets.Hope if there will be tigers,mammoths and maybe some birds.

If it will be as popular,as Power Miners,Atlantis and Ninjago,i think there will be 2013 year sets.Hope if there will be tigers,mammoths and maybe some birds.

I'm afraid that the fact that Ninjago seems to be continuing as a heavily promoted theme next year everything speaks for this to be a oneof theme like World Racers and, probably, Pharaos Quest.

I'm afraid that the fact that Ninjago seems to be continuing as a heavily promoted theme next year everything speaks for this to be a oneof theme like World Racers and, probably, Pharaos Quest.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing, necessarily. If it's good, we will probably miss it after it's gone, but that won't stop the sets that do come out from having good quality.

If it does turn out to be a follow-up to Pharaoh's Quest, then it would probably make more sense as a one-off theme than it would as a continuing theme. That would leave 2013 open to new and unique adventures.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing, necessarily. If it's good, we will probably miss it after it's gone, but that won't stop the sets that do come out from having good quality.

If it does turn out to be a follow-up to Pharaoh's Quest, then it would probably make more sense as a one-off theme than it would as a continuing theme. That would leave 2013 open to new and unique adventures.

Like I said in a different topic, I always try to get at least the smallest set of the wave, so I don't regret completely missing a theme.

I do really like dinosaurs in general though, so if the sets are good, I might find myself buying a few more... :wink:

As for the Pharaoh's Quest possibility, there are conflicting facts. The traps/cages etc. sounds Adventurers-esque, but the molded dino's don't. :sceptic:

Like I said in a different topic, I always try to get at least the smallest set of the wave, so I don't regret completely missing a theme.

I do really like dinosaurs in general though, so if the sets are good, I might find myself buying a few more... :wink:

As for the Pharaoh's Quest possibility, there are conflicting facts. The traps/cages etc. sounds Adventurers-esque, but the molded dino's don't. :sceptic:

But Adventurers HAD molded dinos in the third year, didn't it? The stegosaurus, for example, had two separable pieces: the main body and the swinging tail. The T-rex was slightly better, but was still only as posable as the classic dragon. Personally, I'm hoping the Dinos have the simplicity of the Adventurers dinosaurs, the building versatility of the Dinosaurs theme, and the posability of the larger Dino Attack "mutant dinos".

But Adventurers HAD molded dinos in the third year, didn't it? The stegosaurus, for example, had two separable pieces: the main body and the swinging tail. The T-rex was slightly better, but was still only as posable as the classic dragon. Personally, I'm hoping the Dinos have the simplicity of the Adventurers dinosaurs, the building versatility of the Dinosaurs theme, and the posability of the larger Dino Attack "mutant dinos".

Oops, allow me to rephrase that:

The traps/cages make it sound like a possible Pharaoh's Quest theme, but the molded dino's don't, as the 'creatures' in 'Quest were brick-built.

But I suppose 'Quest was an unusually shoot-y theme, so it really could go either way. :sceptic:

Personally, I'm hoping the Dinos have the simplicity of the Adventurers dinosaurs, the building versatility of the Dinosaurs theme, and the posability of the larger Dino Attack "mutant dinos".

I completely agree, that would be perfect. :thumbup:

Personally, I'm hoping the Dinos have the simplicity of the Adventurers dinosaurs, the building versatility of the Dinosaurs theme, and the posability of the larger Dino Attack "mutant dinos".

You might want to suggest how to do that to LEGO then... because that seems pretty difficult to pull off, lol. I'm personally hoping for something closer to the Dinosaurs theme, since I liked those sets, and a solid handful of useful molds came from them. I think (or rather, hope) LEGO's learned their lesson about the oversized molded pieces, especially after the Galidor catastrophe and the generally cold reception to the Dino Attack dinosaurs.

It really will depend on the audience LEGO is attempting to capture, though. If this turns out to be the new Power Miners, then we can probably expect eye-bleedingly bright colors and massive molded dinos. Ughh.

You might want to suggest how to do that to LEGO then... because that seems pretty difficult to pull off, lol. I'm personally hoping for something closer to the Dinosaurs theme, since I liked those sets, and a solid handful of useful molds came from them. I think (or rather, hope) LEGO's learned their lesson about the oversized molded pieces, especially after the Galidor catastrophe and the generally cold reception to the Dino Attack dinosaurs.

It really will depend on the audience LEGO is attempting to capture, though. If this turns out to be the new Power Miners, then we can probably expect eye-bleedingly bright colors and massive molded dinos. Ughh.

I admit what I suggested sounds a little too hopeful. Really I just hope it's like the Dinosaurs theme, but with more streamlined torsos and individually movable arms and legs (for bipedal dinosaurs), tail, and head (if possible). It's not the most likely, but just a list of the kind of features it'd take to go above and beyond all previous Dinosaur sets. On a side note, the Dinosaurs theme also provides the template for the general size I want. The Adventurers T-rex would look piddly compared to newer creatures like dragons, and the Dino Attack T-Rex was enormous (admittedly a necessity if it was to stand a chance against a helicopter.

What I don't want is dinos with very little connectivity (like those in Dino Attack) or mostly unposable dinos like many of those in Adventurers.

As a final note, Power Miners did not make MY eyes bleed, and I thought the colors suited an underground theme. But that's a discussion for elsewhere.

Hope it's proper Dinosaurs like Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, Oviraptor, Gigantoraptor, Giraffatitan, Velociraptor, Plesiosaur, Iguanodon, Tyrannosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Pteranodon and a Pachycephalosaur. A proper good mix.

Hmm, some of these, probably not. If the theme actually turns out to be a JP theme :wub_drool: , the line-up will probably be more like:

Tyrannosaurus Rex (JP 1, 2, 3)

Velociraptor (JP 1, 2, 3)

Triceratops (JP 1, 2, 3)

Stegosaurus (JP 2)

Brachiosaurus (JP 1 & 3)

Parasaurolophus (JP (1, 2, 3)

Dilophosaurus (JP 1)

Gallimimus (JP 1 & 2)

Pteranodon (JP 3)

Spinosaurus (JP 3)

Pachycephalosaurus (JP 2)

Compsognathus (JP 2 & 3)

Ankylosaurus (JP 3)

EDIT: I also hope that the dinosaurs are in the proper porpotions, and not "one size fits all".

Edited by Mr_Malfoy