Oky

Star Wars

58 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

That red Star Wars logo looks good.

I know they did it with TFA, but have they always put words in between the words STAR and WARS? I don't remember them doing that before TFA...

I find the title interesting. 

"When gone am I the last of the Jedi will you be"

So that part of the title has been true for some time it seems or rather it has come to pass a few times. 

Luke's trainees got wiped out making him the last Jedi again, previously that had been so after Yoda and Anakin died. So we tread familiar ground again. 

Either Luke is dead and he finished training Rey, or somehow Rey turns to the Dark Side and Kylo Ren is redeemed and he  becomes the true Last Jedi. Or perhaps something with Leia???? Oo

Or it is a play on words? What is the plural for Jedi? 

Not as far as I know. TFA was the first movie to not feature "Episode ***" in the official title (the way it's written), although it still says "Episode VII" in the opening crawl.
Episodes I-VI, at least on the latest versions of the DVD covers, does have the episode number in a large size behind the name though.

51-oAlQIwIL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

IMO they should have kept the episodic titles in this format so that they could potentially use the new format with the name in between Star and Wars on the stand-alone movies.

54 minutes ago, Japanbuilder said:

I find the title interesting. 

"When gone am I the last of the Jedi will you be"

So that part of the title has been true for some time it seems or rather it has come to pass a few times. 

Luke's trainees got wiped out making him the last Jedi again, previously that had been so after Yoda and Anakin died. So we tread familiar ground again. 

Either Luke is dead and he finished training Rey, or somehow Rey turns to the Dark Side and Kylo Ren is redeemed and he  becomes the true Last Jedi. Or perhaps something with Leia???? Oo

Or it is a play on words? What is the plural for Jedi? 

The plural for Jedi is Jedi. I'm pretty sure the title means Luke and Rey are the last of the jedi if she is trained. I think I read somewhere that Rian or someone who works on the films said Luke and Leia were to be in ep 9. Of course that was before the passing of Carrie Fisher. Also makingstarwars.net has a picture of a Rey ornament that is supposed to be out in July. She has a new outfit on but is still wielding the blue lightsaber.

1 hour ago, Error404 said:

51-oAlQIwIL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have that book :classic: 

Apparently the reason Rogue One didn't have an opening crawl was because the events that originally should've been in the crawl were the same as in ANH's opening crawl. Does this mean future spin-off star wars films will have an opening crawl?

The Oscars screwed over TLM. But if Rogue One does not win best Special Effects for bringing back Peter Cushing and Young Carrie Fisher I'm going to be really angry. 

5 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

The Oscars screwed over TLM. But if Rogue One does not win best Special Effects for bringing back Peter Cushing and Young Carrie Fisher I'm going to be really angry. 

They like to shun big movies :angry: haters gonna hate

25 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

They like to shun big movies :angry: haters gonna hate

Ya I never understand how the highest grossing movies of all time don't win Oscars. Clearly people think these movies are incredible.

I just looked up how much Argo made: $232,325,503

The Avengers that also came out in 2012: $1,518,812,988

TLM grossed who wasn't even nominated :damn:: $469,160,692

And best picture for that year 12 Years of Slave made: $187,733,202

Just last year with TFA: $2,068,223,624

And then Birdman that won best picture last year: $103,215,094

Force Awakens made 20x as much as Birdman. Again they're all good movies but I don't understand..... Birdman nominated for 9 Oscars and won 4, FA nominated for 5 Oscars won none.... I know that's its based on quality but that's subjective, look at what the audience thought was good that year.... 

People keep saying Jedi can be plural but it wouldn't be grammatically correct if it were to be used as plural in that title.  "Last" is singular in this meaning.  That would be like saying "The Last Dogs" instead of "The Last Dog."  It would have to be "The Last of the Jedi" it it was going to be plural.   

Edited by Schneeds

29 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

People keep saying Jedi can be plural but it wouldn't be grammatically correct if it were to be used as plural in that title.  "Last" is singular in this meaning.  That would be like saying "The Last Dogs" instead of "The Last Dog."  It would have to be "The Last of the Jedi" it it was going to be plural.   

Hmm...now what would be the abbreviation for this movie?

Return of the Jedi already used "Jedi" as abbreviation, so are we stuck with using initials? I don't like the initials TLJ, personally... 

But since Jedi is the same singular as plural surely it would make sense, you could say "We are the Last Jedi" or "I am the Last Jedi" and both still make grammatical sense. Granted, the plural title would only work within context but grammatically they could both work.

Yep, Tariq is right. Nothing "grammatically wrong" about the title referring to Jedi as either singular or plural.

27 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Yep, Tariq is right. Nothing "grammatically wrong" about the title referring to Jedi as either singular or plural.

How can the last of something be plural?  You can't be the last Jedi if there's more one left ;)

But you could still be the last of, "We are the last of the Jedi" "Those are the last fish"

Obviously, when you say the "last of" it implies there is only one, but since Jedi can mean singular and plural it can imply there is more than one.

Rey is not a jedi yet however and Luke never finished his training in the Empire Strikes Back. Since there is no time jump between Episode 7 and 8, a lot of time will have to pass in 8 for Rey to complete her training.

Edited by Forresto

On 1/24/2017 at 1:46 PM, Ashnflash said:

Those were the worst things in the movie and the worst things I've ever seen. They were terrible cartoons. Might as well have been Roger Rabbit.

If Rogue One wins the best Special Effects for bringing back Peter Cushing and Young Carrier Fisher I'm going to be really angry. ;)

1 hour ago, BrickG said:

Those were the worst things in the movie and the worst things I've ever seen. They were terrible cartoons. Might as well have been Roger Rabbit.

If Rogue One wins the best Special Effects for bringing back Peter Cushing and Young Carrier Fisher I'm going to be really angry. ;)

Why?? Why do people have to hate on the CGI in Rogue One? I thought it was great!

Tarkin was very convincing to me. I thought there were a few too many dots on his face :D but it all seemed very real.

Leia did seem fake, but it was so short a time that I didn't really care.

9 hours ago, Schneeds said:

6 hours ago, Tariq j said:

But since Jedi is the same singular as plural surely it would make sense, you could say "We are the Last Jedi" or "I am the Last Jedi" and both still make grammatical sense. Granted, the plural title would only work within context but grammatically they could both work.

4 hours ago, Schneeds said:

How can the last of something be plural?  You can't be the last Jedi if there's more one left ;)

3 hours ago, Tariq j said:

But you could still be the last of, "We are the last of the Jedi" "Those are the last fish"

Obviously, when you say the "last of" it implies there is only one, but since Jedi can mean singular and plural it can imply there is more than one.

Thanks Rian Johnson, from your title there is now a big debate about grammatical correctness (;

I've been thinking about the title and come to the conclusion, personally, that The Last Jedi probably is singular. Right now, Luke is the last Jedi alive.

Rey might become a full Jedi at some point, but she needs time and training and we might not see that happen until IX. So at least until we get to watch the movie, I think The Last Jedi is singular, meaning Luke.

Quite a good theory. It's been said before that Yoda discovered while confronting Palpatine in ROTS that the ways the Jedi had been using for the last few millennia, led to the Jedi order destroying itself. It could very well be as in this theory that Luke discovered a way to successfully use both the light and dark side in balance, eventually training Rey this way, leading to Luke truly being the last of the traditional Jedi.

On a side not, just found this :laugh:

http://cdn.artige.no/image/artige/240117/31c67542bcb6b225fb9e.png

Edited by Error404

17 hours ago, Error404 said:

Quite a good theory. It's been said before that Yoda discovered while confronting Palpatine in ROTS that the ways the Jedi had been using for the last few millennia, led to the Jedi order destroying itself. It could very well be as in this theory that Luke discovered a way to successfully use both the light and dark side in balance, eventually training Rey this way, leading to Luke truly being the last of the traditional Jedi.

On a side not, just found this :laugh:

http://cdn.artige.no/image/artige/240117/31c67542bcb6b225fb9e.png

Also this (if nobody's posted it yet):

b1euc7onsvby.png

2 hours ago, Young Leo said:

Also this (if nobody's posted it yet):

-snip of the Force Awakening the last Jedi from his nap- 

Bwahaha! That's perfect. :laugh: