Black Phoenix

CUSTOM RIMS AND TIRES by MIK Projects Group.

Looking at those great cars built from LEGO Technic by ordinary people around the world, we thought, it would be nice to bring one small detail that would emphasize the beauty and power of these cars.

So, that`s how the Black Bird Custom Design Parts brand was born - a molded plastic rims with holder for LEGO Technic Axle, with individual hand painting. Also, we thought cast rubber tires for these rims would be an correct level of detail.

More info here:

Thank you for watching! 

Support our project and share it with your friends!

Edited by Black Bird Custom

I'm not sure if there is huge potential here will all new custom tyres as these are highly specific. Additionally these are categorised as 3rd party item so there are people who never accept them (and a MOC using them).

It would have been better to produce different design wheel covers for existing LEGO wheels. It has a better potential (as with 3rd party tyres) and since it is not cheating (using custom parts where it is hard to use LEGO parts) unlike completely new wheels+tyres more people would accept it as just a visual feature/add-on.

I would love to see tractor tires, to use as front tires with the ones from the Claas tractor, tires for the 8265 rims. With mating tire tread, and not a solid tire, same design as Claas tire. Because TLG isn't giving us these ones yet.

Edited by Dafgek81

Honestly I was waiting for something like this and I apreciate your ideas very much :thumbup::thumbup:! Do the shown examples really come out of plastic molds or are they 3D printed preliminary prototypes? Good luck with this project!

1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

Honestly I was waiting for something like this and I apreciate your ideas very much :thumbup::thumbup:! Do the shown examples really come out of plastic molds or are they 3D printed preliminary prototypes? Good luck with this project!

Thank you! This is prototypes of plastic and rubber - handmade shapes based on 3D-printed prototypes.

Hello new comers, called Black Bird Custom,

I feel like I'm your targeted customer as I'm a non-purist Lego fan. That means I'm spending a fortune on 3rd party products and 3D printed parts too, I'm even savage enough to cut and glue genuine lego parts. Having that said I've got a few questions and notes about your project. Before that however let me excuse myself in advance. I assume the purpose of your post is to screen the audience and get feedback. If so, here are my impressions please don't take it as offense.

1.Scale

Reading the numbers the diameter of the wheel is about 46mm with the tyre on. That seems to be sort of 1:12 (ish) scale. Why did you come up with this particular size and do you have in plan to make different sizes at all? 

Diameter/width ratio: The reason I've turned towards 3rd party rims and wheels is that the Lego wheel have unrealistic dimensions. For me those way too wide for a given diameter what makes the Moc looking out of the right scale, makes a challange to reach some acceptable steering geometry due to the lack of offset on the rims. These are the reasons turned me to use 1:10 RC rims at the first place beside the aestetic reasons. Now on the pictures of yours I can see some offset, and that's something I appreciate but the the radius of the wheel is actually smaller than the width. That ratio fits for a rear wheel of a Bugatti Veyron and that's it.

2.Color and texture:

I read about hand painted rims. Is it only for prototypes or the molded ones will be hand painted too? (You mentioned exclusive colors)

When I wrote texture I meant that these are 20 spoke rims. Will there be a range of types sooner or later?

3. Price

I understand it is 80 us dollars for four wheels in standard (silver?) color. Don't get it wrong but that is some astronomical price even for me who spends 200 pounds a month easily on this hobby. Just to put it in perspectiv. Last week I bought a set of alloy (!) 1.10 RC rims with rubber tyres for 13 pounds. Plastic ones are priced even lower from 5 pouns per 4 pieces.  All the rc rim needs is a 12 tooth single bevel gear clicked into the hex hole and it is ready to go on axle with better geometries,ratios and look. Not to mention the rnge of types you can choose from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262291404060?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4. Name

Those who are familiar with the AFOL Lego community surely bumped into Blackbird name and his extensive work. Now it isn't my task to speak for him so I won't, but when I clicked this post I thought that is something to do with him. Realising that it isn't the case made me a feel a little stupid as I  figured it would have been more suprising to see him selling 3rd party stuff. :sweet:  Anyway I find quite unfortunate choice to use this name in the "lego business"

Sorry again being honest, but lying about it doesn't get you further. Good luck for the project anyway.

Like many on here, I'm a purist and would not consider any 3rd party parts. However, it seems to me you've made a single design and 3d printed it in multiple colors. If you want to 'convince' would be backers, you'd need to show multiple designs/capabilities/styles. So far, everything you've shown is, well, not very interesting. Sorry for being blunt, but it's an honest feedback. Good luck with such endeavor.

One last note: I think it's this site policy not to allow 'self-promotions', such as for a kickstarter projects ... but I could be wrong.  

Interesting ... at least in theory. 

cause 80 USD is really expensive, i'm not against 3rd party tires but this is just too much.

13 hours ago, Attika said:

Hello new comers, called Black Bird Custom,

I feel like I'm your targeted customer as I'm a non-purist Lego fan. That means I'm spending a fortune on 3rd party products and 3D printed parts too, I'm even savage enough to cut and glue genuine lego parts. Having that said I've got a few questions and notes about your project. Before that however let me excuse myself in advance. I assume the purpose of your post is to screen the audience and get feedback. If so, here are my impressions please don't take it as offense.

1.Scale

Reading the numbers the diameter of the wheel is about 46mm with the tyre on. That seems to be sort of 1:12 (ish) scale. Why did you come up with this particular size and do you have in plan to make different sizes at all? 

Diameter/width ratio: The reason I've turned towards 3rd party rims and wheels is that the Lego wheel have unrealistic dimensions. For me those way too wide for a given diameter what makes the Moc looking out of the right scale, makes a challange to reach some acceptable steering geometry due to the lack of offset on the rims. These are the reasons turned me to use 1:10 RC rims at the first place beside the aestetic reasons. Now on the pictures of yours I can see some offset, and that's something I appreciate but the the radius of the wheel is actually smaller than the width. That ratio fits for a rear wheel of a Bugatti Veyron and that's it.

2.Color and texture:

I read about hand painted rims. Is it only for prototypes or the molded ones will be hand painted too? (You mentioned exclusive colors)

When I wrote texture I meant that these are 20 spoke rims. Will there be a range of types sooner or later?

3. Price

I understand it is 80 us dollars for four wheels in standard (silver?) color. Don't get it wrong but that is some astronomical price even for me who spends 200 pounds a month easily on this hobby. Just to put it in perspectiv. Last week I bought a set of alloy (!) 1.10 RC rims with rubber tyres for 13 pounds. Plastic ones are priced even lower from 5 pouns per 4 pieces.  All the rc rim needs is a 12 tooth single bevel gear clicked into the hex hole and it is ready to go on axle with better geometries,ratios and look. Not to mention the rnge of types you can choose from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262291404060?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4. Name

Those who are familiar with the AFOL Lego community surely bumped into Blackbird name and his extensive work. Now it isn't my task to speak for him so I won't, but when I clicked this post I thought that is something to do with him. Realising that it isn't the case made me a feel a little stupid as I  figured it would have been more suprising to see him selling 3rd party stuff. :sweet:  Anyway I find quite unfortunate choice to use this name in the "lego business"

Sorry again being honest, but lying about it doesn't get you further. Good luck for the project anyway.

Hello!)

1.Scale:

This prototype - smaller version BBS Forged Line LM -with increased thickness of the beam.

2.Color and texture:

Molded rims will be hand painted too.Then this poject will be realized,we are planning to realise a smaller version of the entire line of BBS and Vossen,with minor modifications,as well as some other models.

We also plan to realise a tire with characteristics that drift on all engines LEGO Technic.

3.Price:

What do you think, what prise is optimal for 4 rims hand painted+4rubber tires+4boxes?)

4.Name:

For me - Black Bird - associated with Black Phoenix - on logo Bird look like flame.

Thank you for your feedback!:sweet:

Maybe you have some ideas on how to achive a successful project fundraising?

Thank you.:classic:

Edited by Black Bird Custom

13 hours ago, DrJB said:

Like many on here, I'm a purist and would not consider any 3rd party parts. However, it seems to me you've made a single design and 3d printed it in multiple colors. If you want to 'convince' would be backers, you'd need to show multiple designs/capabilities/styles. So far, everything you've shown is, well, not very interesting. Sorry for being blunt, but it's an honest feedback. Good luck with such endeavor.

One last note: I think it's this site policy not to allow 'self-promotions', such as for a kickstarter projects ... but I could be wrong.  

Thank you for your feedback!:classic:

This prototype - smaller version BBS Forged Line LM -with increased thickness of the beam.

Then this poject will be realized,we are planning to realise a smaller version of the entire line of BBS and Vossen,with minor modifications,as well as some other models.

7 hours ago, GREG998 said:

That's the kind of product i was expecting for. From my humble point of view, because of a lack of variety in tyres/wheel dilmensions in lego range, a lot of car i'd like to build can't be (at least at the scale i build: very large).

Blackbird, if your product reach same (or higher) quality standard than "OEM" parts from Lego, i'm pretty sure there is a possible way for commercial success. My "2 piece" advice would be to propose from start 2 or 3 differents dimensions, especially on tyres. A high profile tyre, for example, would require "only" another mold for tyre.

Anyway, that's a kind of project i like.

Hello!)

Thank you.

Very interesting project, but the tires/rims available in kickstareter are moderetly interesting. 48x28 mm wheel is almost the same like 49.2x20 mm original lego wheel, but wider, witch is not always desirable. IMHO the biggest interest would be to make wheel's like 46x18 mm or 70x~25 mm - which are dimensions not available with original Lego pieces. Of course proper offset of rims in also very important, alongside with more real tread pattern.

13 hours ago, Black Bird Custom said:

Maybe you have some ideas on how to achive a successful project fundraising?

Listen to your future customers like @Pawlo above. :wink: 

2.Color and texture:

Molded rims will be hand painted too.

Hand painted parts are more vulnerable than colored material. We talking about parts taking serious physical abuse, don't we?

3.Price:

What do you think, what prise is optimal for 4 rims hand painted+4rubber tires+4boxes?

Well, future business man, look at the market you trying to compete with. Lego wheels at the first place then other 3rd party solutions. Apart from a few type of Lego wheels everything is way cheaper then your product and I mean less than half price. The wheel being hand painted is rather a disadvantage (IMHO), so I don't wanna pay for that. Especially not 40 extra dollars for special colors. 

To answer the question: 20 bucks. In any color.

According the number of backers on kickstarter you should do something. The good news is: It can't get worse. :wink:

Good luck!

I like your wheels but I do wish you had not used my name.  Many people in this community will probably think that this product has something to do with me and it does not.  Maybe you did not know about me.  In any case, I wish you luck with your Kickstarter.

I think there is a market for not only super car rims but off-road vehicles as well.  Perhaps even more-so.  Third-party tires are not used all that often by MOCers on cars.  But used all the time for off-road vehicles, trucks, rock-crawlers, etc.  Third-party rims for non-Lego tires would be great.  One area that I think is really untapped would be rims for 2.2 RC tires, not the regularly used 1.9 tires.  Although there are Lego rims, either by mold or created with genuine Lego parts, that can house a 2.2 RC tires, additional, better fitting rims would be awesome. 

Nice idea but I think a very large portion of MOC's which could use nice wheels for cars are using the 56 Dia wheel.  If you had made that size looking like the Ferrari 599 wheel covers I think you would have had much more interest.  A wider wheel / tire option would be very interesting as well.

10 hours ago, LvdH said:

I love the concept, but $80 for a set of 4 is way beyond my budget allows... If I had the money, I'd definitely get a set of them. (edit: just after posting this I noticed the prices have changed to $30, seems a lot more reasonable)

Slightly off topic, but I quite like the car in the video :wink: (blue :wub:)

Thank you for your feedback!)

10 hours ago, Attika said:

Hand painted parts are more vulnerable than colored material. We talking about parts taking serious physical abuse, don't we?

We use a special paint that is resistant to aggressive influence.This paint is very difficult to scratch.:wink::sweet:

10 hours ago, Attika said:
On 6 марта 2017 г. at 7:23 AM, Black Bird Custom said:

Well, future business man, look at the market you trying to compete with. Lego wheels at the first place then other 3rd party solutions. Apart from a few type of Lego wheels everything is way cheaper then your product and I mean less than half price. The wheel being hand painted is rather a disadvantage (IMHO), so I don't wanna pay for that. Especially not 40 extra dollars for special colors. 

To answer the question: 20 bucks. In any color.

According the number of backers on kickstarter you should do something. The good news is: It can't get worse. :wink:

Good luck!

Thank you!))

9 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I like your wheels but I do wish you had not used my name.  Many people in this community will probably think that this product has something to do with me and it does not.  Maybe you did not know about me.  In any case, I wish you luck with your Kickstarter.

Hello!)

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we really didn't know abouth you.

Thank you!) :classic:

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

I think there is a market for not only super car rims but off-road vehicles as well.  Perhaps even more-so.  Third-party tires are not used all that often by MOCers on cars.  But used all the time for off-road vehicles, trucks, rock-crawlers, etc.  Third-party rims for non-Lego tires would be great.  One area that I think is really untapped would be rims for 2.2 RC tires, not the regularly used 1.9 tires.  Although there are Lego rims, either by mold or created with genuine Lego parts, that can house a 2.2 RC tires, additional, better fitting rims would be awesome. 

Hello!)

Thank you for your feedback!) :wink:

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

Nice idea but I think a very large portion of MOC's which could use nice wheels for cars are using the 56 Dia wheel.  If you had made that size looking like the Ferrari 599 wheel covers I think you would have had much more interest.  A wider wheel / tire option would be very interesting as well.

Hello!)

Thank you for your feedback!) :sweet:

Hi,

Becoming a member just to promote your Kickstarter project isn't allowed. This is not what EB is for.  

Furthermore you have used the name of one of our staff members. I find it hard to imagine that you were able to find this Technic forum to promote your project, but you don't know who Blakbird is.

I would absolutely die for some cool custom rims (which should fit the 42039 tires btw) , but I really don't like the way you approached this introduction. I will therefor lock this topic. I have adjusted your account so you can send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.