Lasse D

[MOC] Model Team DAF XF with Buy n Large Trailer

This model is now finally in a state where I can present it in its own topic. Thanks a lot to the Eurobricks members who have kept me on my toes to improve this model and get to this result.

The truck is a DAF XF FT (4x2) Space Cab and in the classic Model Team scale of 1:25 which I hold so dearly.

0992front.jpg

It has a basic trailer coupling mechanism which allows for an increased amount of detailing in the back compared to my more technical trucks:

0992rear2.jpg

Inside there is the standard seats, console and steering wheel to give an illusion of a full interior. The Servo motor takes up quite a lot of space in there.

0992side.jpg

Underneath you can see the updated steering mechanism which allows the front axle to be 12 studs wide:

0992under.jpg

Note also the huge blobs of bricks in the sides which help add weight for better grip.

The trailer can open the doors in the back:

0993closed.jpg

0993open.jpg

And fits nicely on the truck:

0993fridge.jpg

But the fun stuff are found underneath:

0993under1.jpg

Here the decoupling mechanism works as shown in the video.

0993under2.jpg

Notice how the feet of the legs are 1x1 tiles in the photos, but small steering wheels in the video. The 1x1 tiles work well if you have a more precise controller for the truck, such as an SBrick. 

This project started back in September 2016 where I started researching a truck from a brand which I had not already covered. This was in preparation for a presentation at the AFOL event in Give of 2016. It was time to build a DAF (Sorry Iveco - next time?). The DAF XF FT (4x2) Space Cab was chosen. and I started doing some research.

I still use Griddy for making a grid where it's easy to see the scale of things. (A new on-line version of Griddy will be available once I learn to program web apps)

griddy.png

After constructing a basic frame from my old Scania (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9Cgz70p30) it was time to spend a single hour on prototyping the design in order to kickstart the project:

building_2_frame_start.jpg

This was the result after roughly one hour:

building_3_quick_prototype.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but it was enough to get me started and start focusing on a single section at a time.

Here is a better photo of the creation:

building_4_quick_prototype.jpg

First up were some new sides:

building_5_2.jpg

I was not satisfied with the blacked out grille, nor the basic looking headlights. After a day of building I had achieved this:

building_5_3.jpg

Another day and all I managed to add was some additional parts of the front:

building_5_4.jpg

Then building started to pick up speed and I almost finished the whole front in just another day:

building_5_5.jpg

Another day to start on the sides:

building_5_6.jpg

This is going well :) The sides we connected to the front and I toyed around with various detailings for the side of the cab:

building_5_7.jpg

It was time to complete the build and see if everything was OK:

building_5_8.jpg

The verdict? I don't like that top at all. Time to rebuild it!

building_5_9.jpg

That was more like it. This is the version I brought to the event:

building_5__9_prototype1.jpg

building_5__9_prototype1rear.jpg

At the event I discovered that the coupling-mechanism doesn't work well, so I decided to change it to the one from the helicopter transport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCEXsbHO78s

Other changes include how the battery box in mounted (for easy access), the fuel tanks, the headlights and the top was under constant revisioning. This resulted in the second prototype:

prototype2.jpg

prototype2rear.jpg

Now we are almost there. The rear wheel covers were protruding a bit too much, causing the trailer to dislodge them. This was fixed:

prototype3_rear.jpg

You can see the construction yard for the whole process, including the feedback I received from the community during all of this:

Brickshelf gallery (once public): http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=567171

Building instructions are on their way.

I was afraid when I saw the name of topic, but now I see your BEAUTIFUL!!! Daf Euro6 and I will tell you one word...brilliant.

The shape of the model is really good. It is small but one can see immediately what brand and model it is.

Fantastic work! So smooth. Your work was a huge inspiration for me to begin building lego trucks. Perhaps you might add a 2x2 smooth rounded tile on a 2x2 plate on each rear wheel. 

It has been said before,.. but what you can do at this scale is simply amazing.. 

Edited by Sylvian

Thanks for all the positive comments! I will start working on the building instructions as soon as work clears up.

12 hours ago, Beck said:

Fantastic work! So smooth. Your work was a huge inspiration for me to begin building lego trucks. Perhaps you might add a 2x2 smooth rounded tile on a 2x2 plate on each rear wheel. 

Do you mean like a hub cab? Yes. I would like to decorate the rear wheels with something, and perhaps some 2x2 round plates and tiles might do. I will see if I can get them in LBG.

43 minutes ago, Lasse D said:

Thanks for all the positive comments! I will start working on the building instructions as soon as work clears up.

Do you mean like a hub cab? Yes. I would like to decorate the rear wheels with something, and perhaps some 2x2 round plates and tiles might do. I will see if I can get them in LBG.

Yes, a hub cap.

Did not got the chance yet to comment but I also want to state that this is a piece of art. Really love how you designed this model, how you improved it over and over again. Also are all the features so cool, you really added a lot of playability to it... Amazing.

Yesterday I noticed the building instructions for the truck, man you are really fast... ;-) Looking good...!

On 20/2/2017 at 9:13 PM, Beck said:

Yes, a hub cap.

Excellent idea. I have added them to the building instructions.

On 20/2/2017 at 9:57 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a beautiful truck! :wub:

Thanks. We are quite a few in here who have contributed to it.

On 9/3/2017 at 6:14 AM, AFOLegofan66 said:

great job!! Great color scheme!

Thanks, and if you want to build you own, the color is easy to change.

On 10/3/2017 at 4:43 AM, 2LegoOrNot2Lego... said:

Did not got the chance yet to comment but I also want to state that this is a piece of art. Really love how you designed this model, how you improved it over and over again. Also are all the features so cool, you really added a lot of playability to it... Amazing.

Yesterday I noticed the building instructions for the truck, man you are really fast... ;-) Looking good...!

Thanks. It means a lot to me that people like the result. It has been a long process, but I hope people enjoyed it. I have made some updates to the instructions and added a video to help people though the building process.

Building instructions here: http://c-mt.dk/instructions/models_truck-DafXfFtSpaceCab.htm

Video to help you through the building process:

I plan on starting building instructions for the trailer tomorrow.

I have now made building instructions for the trailer. They can be found here: https://brickhub.org/i/585

In this video I give tips and tricks of how to build it, and also take the truck and trailer for a spin:

The truck has also been updated with some visual updates here and there. The building instructions for it can be found her: https://brickhub.org/i/347

0988_updated_daf_april2020.jpg

As you can see, there are now chrome and curved parts in the top of the grille. But the main change has been the introduction of new legs for the trailer which look more realistic and require less force to deploy:

0990_updated_trailer_legs.jpg

The video shows how they work and how to adjust them if you want to build your own.