Sign in to follow this  
The Maestro

Nocturnus minichallenge ll: Druids sacrifice

For the Nocturnus resistance.

Haunting the foot hills of the Rakath mountains, their ancient standing stones are a menacing reminder of the dangers that lies beyond. It is believed that they sacrifice their human victims to sustain their hunger for dark magic which is used to entice weary travelers who then become their prey.  Their origins can be tracked back to the ancient order of druids from Avalonia. Cast out for meddling with evil magic they then traveled to Nocturnus where they became obsessed with power and would do what ever they could to enhance it. This included erecting giant dolmen and sacrificing human travelers, especially those from Avalonia as they seem to contain more magic.

However due to the black spires presence, the number of travelers have declined, causing the druids to fear for their power. For this reason the druids have allied with the Nocturnus resistance to rid the land of the black spires forces before their magic completely diminishes.

29390571373_011874cc56_z.jpgDruids sacrifice by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

When I saw the deadline for this was one day away I knew I had to enter it. I didn't care that my entry was rushed and built in under two hours. It was still a load of fun trying to create a creepy atmosphere . The dolmen was another attempt at snot rock work and I think I managed reasonably well. I still have a load of stuff I need to post including my best build yet (imo). Another saga chapter should be up over the next three days :laugh: Hope you enjoy. 

Edited by The Maestro

Fabulous work here! The dark green around the cleared area of dark tan looks great, and I like the jagged rockwork as well :thumbup:

The mushrooms and bushes add just enough foliage to the scene :classic:

The dark green mixed into the rock sections is a great touch :thumbup:The patch of dark tan on the ground directs the eye nicely to the action of the scene :classic:

On 01/10/2016 at 11:30 AM, en_zoo said:

As I said on Flickr, really suggestive atmosphere - looks pretty scary ^

Thanks en_zoo, glad you didn't think it was a happy atmosphere:wink:

On 01/10/2016 at 1:24 PM, LittleJohn said:

Fabulous work here! The dark green around the cleared area of dark tan looks great, and I like the jagged rockwork as well :thumbup:

The mushrooms and bushes add just enough foliage to the scene :classic:

The rock work was hard to achieve but im glad your happy with the outcome. 

On 02/10/2016 at 6:49 AM, TitusV said:

Very nice rockwork!

Yeah, thats probaly my favourite part. I learnt alot from you :laugh:

On 02/10/2016 at 8:58 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Great rocks, and I love the skulls on the spears. Very sinister indeed! Nicely done. 

Thanks Henjin, thats the feeling i'd hope you'd get.

8 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

The dark green mixed into the rock sections is a great touch :thumbup:The patch of dark tan on the ground directs the eye nicely to the action of the scene :classic:

Thanks sk, this colour scheme was a must do on my list.

That arch is nice, reminds me of a build I saw a few years back, can't remmeber who built it.

38 minutes ago, Blufiji said:

That arch is nice, reminds me of a build I saw a few years back, can't remmeber who built it.

Maybe this one? ( The picture doesn't seem to be working in the topic so I included a link to the image on Flickr too)

53 minutes ago, LordDan said:

Maybe this one? ( The picture doesn't seem to be working in the topic so I included a link to the image on Flickr too)

Yes, I remeber seeing that a while back and I have wanted to do it ever since, the challange just provided the right oppertunity.

Fabulous build. I like the technique with the rocks, and how one slab is leaning on another. The spears, plants, and mushrooms also make this build distinctly Nocturnian. 

On 03/10/2016 at 10:18 AM, LordDan said:

Excellent rocky arch! I feel bad for that Avalonian!

Don't worry, Im sure he will get over it (insert bridge pun here) :tongue:

On 04/10/2016 at 7:18 AM, Blufiji said:

Thanks Blufiji, it was probaly the one lordDan linked.

3 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

Fabulous build. I like the technique with the rocks, and how one slab is leaning on another. The spears, plants, and mushrooms also make this build distinctly Nocturnian. 

Im glad you liked it, I thought the leanimg rock was probaly better that a straigh one.