Sign in to follow this  
Bricksonwheels

Union Pacific Big Boy 1:38

The more I look at your custom wheels the more I'm interested in, could you post some more detailed images of them, and above all, are they available somewhere, I mean there is some service that can produce them on request?

many thanks

Hi Monai,

You are not the first to ask. The wheels were printed by a friend of mine: Jaap Kroon, as a builder more known as Jaap Technic. I know for a fact that he had a lot of work with them, and therefor I dont think he will take it into series production easily.

Well those wheels look beautiful, same as the valve gear mechanism and the rest of the model. I can't wait until we get some more large scale models like this that are only possible with the new large curves.

Built a watertender to it:

WOW!! A great follow up! Looks as detailed as the recent HO water tender released. That's an amazing feat in Lego.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Is it possible I can buy the manual for this exceptional set?

This isn't a set, nor does it have a manual; it is a custom build.

And here I thought I was the only one who built in 1:38 (10-wide). I'm very impressed.

I'm not a lego train guy, but my dad is a huge train fan. I've been telling him how great some of the MOCs are and today he asked, "yeah but is there a big boy?" I had no idea what he was talking about but here I load up EB and the third thread has pictures. You got the "I'm impressed" nod.. Looks pretty awesome!

Has anyone done a MOC the same size as O gauge? I'd love to get him a lego train to run with his lionels.

Hello KevinMD and welcome to the trains forum.

O gauge is 1:48 scale which works out to almost the same size as 8-stud wide locos and rolling stock. The problem with LEGO isn't so much the size of the train as much as the distance between the wheels. O gauge is 1,25'' between the rails (which is slightly over-sized, correct scale distance would be 1.177'') while LEGO track is spaced at about 1,5''. It is known and accepted that LEGO trck is too wide but it is one of the compromises that we accept. The proper size for LEGO train, if you want to respect the size of the track, is 10 studs wide but then the diameter of the wheels seems way too small.

You could probably easily re gauge the bogies so that they fit on O gauge track by removing 1 stud. The structure of the bogie would then be 3 studs wide instead of 4 studs wide; which would not allow you to use the standard LEGO train motor. You might be able to use brick-built bogies that are powered by a body-mounted PF motor if the gears will fit in the bogie. However, LEGO train wheels have very prominent flanges that might not work on O gauge track (something to check into). Another alternative, probably the easiest, would be to use a regular O gauge powered bogie and adapt it to fit on the LEGO train.

If you're interested in pursuing this project any further please keep us posted. I'm sure that the members on this forum (myself included) will happily give you any help we can!

Edited by Dan-147

On 20-9-2016 at 4:25 PM, KevinMD said:

I'm not a lego train guy, but my dad is a huge train fan. I've been telling him how great some of the MOCs are and today he asked, "yeah but is there a big boy?" I had no idea what he was talking about but here I load up EB and the third thread has pictures. You got the "I'm impressed" nod.. Looks pretty awesome!

Has anyone done a MOC the same size as O gauge? I'd love to get him a lego train to run with his lionels.

Sorry I missed this. I guess that is a big compliment! Thnx