Logan McOwen

Star Wars Constraction 2016 Discussion

Too bad that, aside from the droid, the other characters are humans without armour. The only one that I can see turning out interesting is Donnie Yen's character, for a possible new robe part and that weapon. I can see some potential for new dark brown and red shell sizes and possibly a new gun, but that's about it.

Edited by Shakar

Too bad that, aside from the droid, the other characters are humans without armour. The only one that I can see turning out interesting is Donnie Yen's character, for a possible new robe part and that weapon. I can see some potential for new dark brown and red shell sizes and possibly a new gun, but that's about it.

Maybe the rest will just be the storm trooper types?

I could definitely imagine the Death Trooper getting a figure. We haven't had a "black trooper" type yet and i'd love to have that headsculpt.

It wouldn't add the most inspiring of parts to the selection (Given Luke, Vader, and Kylo) but still one I could imagine happening nonetheless. And if we got K250, that'd be two primarily black figures in one wave. (I don't mind the color, but I would rather get some unique stuff, Star Wars has really had the chance to bring in some interesting colors so far and I hate to see wasted opportunities.)

Well, in the Force Awakens wave, at least, the characters without armor were much more interesting sets than the ones with it (Rey being perhaps my favorite of the entire Star Wars constraction range so far), so that doesn't worry me at all.

That's not to say armor itself is bad, but a lot of armor in Star Wars tends to be fairly bland and monochrome. Of course, there are exceptions to that, like Boba Fett or Sabine Wren or certain more specialized clone troopers, who have nice colorful armor. I wouldn't mind if Rogue One had some more characters like that (in the picture linked above, one guy is wearing what appears to be red armor, and I could really dig that). But I don't really feel drawn to characters like the First Order Stormtrooper, Captain Phasma, and Kylo Ren who wear fairly generic trooper armor in all one neutral color.

I also generally prefer non-helmeted characters to helmeted ones. A Star Wars helmet is generally just going to stand out as a Star Wars helmet no matter what sort of MOC you use it on. An actual human head sculpt can be used for all sorts of different sci-fi and fantasy characters. Sadly I still have yet to use Finn or Obi-Wan's head sculpts in MOCs (in fact, I haven't made many MOCs at all this year… :sad: ), but I still would love to have more variety of human head sculpts for MOCing purposes.

Edited by Aanchir

After having played the two KOTOR games I really want Darth Revan, HK-47 and Mandalore figures. Too bad non-canon characters likely have a very minuscule chance of being released.

Well we kind of did... Yah know... Finn

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7662/27050705576_5b3a636e7f_h.jpg

Edited by Leewan
You can meme, but not need to meme over 800*600

I'd reckon that we would get the cool looking death troopers with the Rogue One wave, as well as some of the protagonists with the typical galidor-like face molds.

Well we kind of did... Yah know... Finn

pAVxOno.png

Edited by TheGreatSpirit

The sets will most certainly be Jyn Erso, K-250 and a Death Trooper.

I also generally prefer non-helmeted characters to helmeted ones. A Star Wars helmet is generally just going to stand out as a Star Wars helmet no matter what sort of MOC you use it on. An actual human head sculpt can be used for all sorts of different sci-fi and fantasy characters.

It doesn't bother me if the heads or the helmets can't be reused in MOCs without screaming "Star Wars". I think it's more important to have heads that are faithful their movie counterpart, even if that implies sacrificing reusability.

The sets will most certainly be Jyn Erso, K-250 and a Death Trooper.

It doesn't bother me if the heads or the helmets can't be reused in MOCs without screaming "Star Wars". I think it's more important to have heads that are faithful their movie counterpart, even if that implies sacrificing reusability.

Oh, faithfulness to the source material is certainly important; there's no denying that. But from a MOCist's point of view, there's far more advantages to a human head sculpt. Heck, even when working within the Star Wars theme, head pieces like Finn's can be used to MOC the character in one of their different movie costumes (in Finn's case, this is as simple as swapping his head with the First Order Stormtrooper). That's not really as doable with a figure like Captain Phasma, Darth Vader or Kylo Ren, whose helmets are part of mostly unchanging uniforms.

Another advantage to more basic human head sculpts is that since they're generally smaller than helmets, they also tend to be more posable. I personally wish Rey had lacked the headgear for her head sculpt, since not only does she wear that in fewer scenes, but it also keeps her head from being angled up enough to position her on a potential MOC of her speeder (which she rides while hunched forward).

That's not really as doable with a figure like Captain Phasma, Darth Vader or Kylo Ren, whose helmets are part of mostly unchanging uniforms.

Not having an helmet wouldn't change much, since as you say, they always wear the same outfit. :p

However, it's true that Luke's head could be used on Poe's body to make Luke as a pilot. But even in this case, the use is limited to the character alone : I've never seen a MOC which uses a CCBS (in before MOCs with Galidor head or Buzz Lightyear's head :tongue: ) human head since they were introduced in 2012.

Anyways, I have nothing against human heads in CCBS sets. I simply think reusability is not as important in the Star Wars line as in other themes.

Another advantage to more basic human head sculpts is that since they're generally smaller than helmets, they also tend to be more posable. I personally wish Rey had lacked the headgear for her head sculpt, since not only does she wear that in fewer scenes, but it also keeps her head from being angled up enough to position her on a potential MOC of her speeder (which she rides while hunched forward).

I don't know. Her hair could've been in the way anyway, and the use of the special gearbox-neck piece doesn't help with articulation either. However, I also wish she didn't have her headgear. It would have been nice to recreate the final battle (although we would also have needed Kylo Ren without his helmet), which is easier to do than MOCcing her speeder at the right scale. :laugh:

Maybe this is just not do-able at all for Lego, but couldn't they give us some kind of system which uses hollow helmets that are compatible with heads? That way we would've had even more human heads.

I wish the Rey figure did not have the headgear partially on, for reasons that have been stated before. Am I the only one that really dislikes the gear mechanism on her? It sticks out way too much (though I haven't built her yet).

Maybe this is just not do-able at all for Lego, but couldn't they give us some kind of system which uses hollow helmets that are compatible with heads? That way we would've had even more human heads.

I'm sure it might be doable, but it wouldn't be very efficient since at this scale you couldn't just use the same head mold for all the characters (unlike with, say, minifigures). So you'd be effectively doubling the number of unique molds needed for each character. Also, with a character like Rey whose headgear fits really snug against her head, having a separate headgear piece could result in it looking awkward and bulky. At that point you might as well just have two separate heads (one with headgear and one without) and swap them out.

I'm not bothered by Rey's gear mechanism.

Jyn, the droid and the black Stormtrooper just showed up.

Edited by VBBN
Unknown leak removed

Leaks? No. Leak? Yeah.

Jyn, the droid and the black Stormtrooper just showed up.

Y-you may have beaten me to it, but my image is bigger... >:[

But look at these guys though!

• New hip armour
  • New torso armour on the girl?
  • Gearbox cover in brown
  • Piston addon in black
  • Olive green is back (?)

Edited by VBBN

Awesome !!!

Any word on what the other 3 would be? I am hoping rebels.

My image is bigger :v

And also in worse quality, no thanks :v

Jyn looks passable, but still way too mechanical (I'm curious about her torso shell, though). The Stormtrooper and K-250 seem to have new type of shells, similar to last year's shinguards, used on thighs. Also that black G2 piston add-on :wub:

Edited by Voxovan

BLACK PISTON SHELL!

Dark tan hands!

And an interesting Technic heavy build.

Pretty good.

Anyone know where these are from? There are more pics it seems, part of it is cropped out.

Man this line just keeps getting better and better, all those cool new parts and recolors. Almost makes the higher price due to licensing worth it.

Black piston armour. This alone makes the droid worth buying.

If only the BIONICLE summer wave looked half as good, this would be without a doubt the best year ever for CCBS.

K250 is an instabuy. I love his look. And black piston add-on, oh yes.

Also, the new thigh armor looks promising. Seems to be like the shin guard, but replaces the kneecap with the connection points that regular CCBS shells have. Pretty cool.

And I see the Death Trooper has a pretty nifty Shoulder armor piece that attaches at the neck.

Good thing I have little interest in the Summer Bionicle wave. Looks like I'll be dropping some cash on these figures instead.

The Death Trooper and Anorexibot look fantastic. The builds seem very interesting, and they come with a neat parts selection to boot. The Fem Sniper doesn't look too bad either, I may pick her up as well just to get my hands on those Dark Grey shells :drool:

So far it seems like a great wave. Since I'm not too interested in the Bionicle summer selection it seems I'll be buying these instead.