Sign in to follow this  
Mrcool1804

MOC: 6 Wide Fire Engine

I have been working on a workable, to scale, model of an actual Fire Engine. I would appreciate any feedback before I place my Design By Me purchase.

Here is a photo of the Engine that I modeled it after:

5475160547_748ca87f07_b.jpg

Here are the photos of the model:

5716222416_f24435e2b2_b.jpg

5715658945_e762a2852a_b.jpg

5716222436_8283582724_b.jpg

The ladder does rotate down 90deg. to allow for unloading.

Any feedback at all is much appreciated!

Awesome Fire Engine 'Mrcool1804'. Very realistic and nice design.

Looks like the real thing default_thumbup.gif The snot on the side is great and the orange strip looks great.

Nice work.

That looks like a Pierce... made right down the highway from where I live. Very nicely done. I've been trying to design an Engine like this for my son to play with, and it isn't easy. You've got a great combination of features, like the ladder, the clips behind the compartment doors. I'm curious, how do those doors open?

That looks like a Pierce... made right down the highway from where I live. Very nicely done. I've been trying to design an Engine like this for my son to play with, and it isn't easy. You've got a great combination of features, like the ladder, the clips behind the compartment doors. I'm curious, how do those doors open?

Thanks! You nailed it! The Engine is a 2006 Pierce Dash. The doors are simple connections as shown below

5716171195_c72f0a1166_b.jpg

AWESOME LDD fire truck, going to brick-built are we ? :wink:

Excellent design work there and keep on LDDing 'Mrcool1804' ! :wink:

Excellent fire truck design Mrcool1804! It looks like you've really 'researched' this truck very well as it captures the overall look, detailing, and basic functionality of the reference material. You even got the pinstripes brickbuilt instead of using stickers. Really impressive LDD work, looking forward seeing this realized on real bricks. :thumbup:

Thanks for the detailed pictures of the hinges. That helps a lot. I forgot to mention that I love the brick built stripes! I can't imagine what this costs from Design By Me... the first night I played with LDD I built a fire truck, it was fairly expensive as I recall. I haven't bothered to check the price of any of my builds since.

Very cool work here Mrcool1804!

The details such as the door hinges are very neat, is it Ralphs door design?

If you want it to be cheaper you could use Bricklink to buy the parts, and LDD Manager to make a parts list.

Good Luck! :classic:

Edited by Fuzzylegobricks

I have been working on a workable, to scale, model of an actual Fire Engine. I would appreciate any feedback before I place my Design By Me purchase.

The ladder does rotate down 90deg. to allow for unloading.

Any feedback at all is much appreciated!

A very nice fire truck, Mrcool1804. I love the level of detail, the brick-built stripes and the functionality, with the mechanism to lower the ladder and the opening doors, for instance. Looking at the reference picture, though, I can't help but think that the model is a bit long. I also don't really like how the wheels and tyres stick out about a stud from the sides. However, since these wheels are themselves two studs wide, building it such that they are flush would mean that there's only two studs between the inner faces of the wheels, which probably is a bit awkward too. Most of LEGO's tyres are far too fat compared to real ones. I understand the need to compromise.

Very cool work here Mrcool1804!

The details such as the door hinges are very neat, is it Ralphs door design?

If you want it to be cheaper you could use Bricklink to buy the parts, and LDD Manager to make a parts list.

Good Luck! :classic:

The doors on my fire engines are hinged differently, using a technic arm attached to the side rather than hinges in the roof.

3900094354_7536f3c806.jpg

Rescue Pumper (6) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

There are advantages and disadvantages compared to Mrcool1804's solution. When open my doors don't stick out as much and they don't protrude into the roof. However, I have far less space inside because the hinge mechanism is quite bulky and bacause I need room at the top for the doors to slide into.

Cheers,

Ralph

Looks like you've replicated the original very nicely! I love the way you made the striping on the sides.

I do think it is a bit too long, and the wheels look a bit too small though.

Looks like you've replicated the original very nicely! I love the way you made the striping on the sides.

I do think it is a bit too long, and the wheels look a bit too small though.

Too small !? The length of the vehicle might hide it a bit, but if anything they're a bit big. In any case, imagine it with wheels that are one size bigger.

This is the size you'll end up with:

44293c01.jpg

Cheers,

Ralph

Love the LDD model in your ability to fit so much detail in and the striping pattern. I do agree with some of the others posters about the length of the entire engine. I feel and it looks about two to three studs to long. But don't know how yet to really shorten it without loosing detail and playability. Maybe shorten the driver area by one stud. Also how is the front bumper attatched? It looks like you are using a bracket from the image so it appears to stick out a hair. Why not use bricks, modified with studs on one side (1x4 or even 1x1s) to get the bumper closer to the engine front.

A very nice fire truck, Mrcool1804. I love the level of detail, the brick-built stripes and the functionality, with the mechanism to lower the ladder and the opening doors, for instance. Looking at the reference picture, though, I can't help but think that the model is a bit long. I also don't really like how the wheels and tyres stick out about a stud from the sides. However, since these wheels are themselves two studs wide, building it such that they are flush would mean that there's only two studs between the inner faces of the wheels, which probably is a bit awkward too. Most of LEGO's tyres are far too fat compared to real ones. I understand the need to compromise.

The doors on my fire engines are hinged differently, using a technic arm attached to the side rather than hinges in the roof.

3900094354_7536f3c806.jpg

Rescue Pumper (6) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

There are advantages and disadvantages compared to Mrcool1804's solution. When open my doors don't stick out as much and they don't protrude into the roof. However, I have far less space inside because the hinge mechanism is quite bulky and bacause I need room at the top for the doors to slide into.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks Ralph, I studied your Engine in great length and could not figure out your hinge system, and you are right about is being bulky. I too agree with everyone that it does look a little too long, I had the smaller tires on there to begin with, but opted for the larger ones despite them sticking out a bit. I also started this model being an 8 wide, The cost right now on LDD is $150 US

Great truck!

I like how you studied all the details and incorporate them into the model!

Thanks Ralph, I studied your Engine in great length and could not figure out your hinge system, and you are right about is being bulky. I too agree with everyone that it does look a little too long, I had the smaller tires on there to begin with, but opted for the larger ones despite them sticking out a bit. I also started this model being an 8 wide, The cost right now on LDD is $150 US

What I do is use LDD Manager to great the parts list, then order the parts through Pick A Brick. I recently ordered 487 pieces through PAB It was $66, through DBM $105. You can save quite a bit that way.

I have been getting questions about the door mechanism. It's one of those things that are perfectly straightforward, but hard to explain in words. A three long technic arm sits vertically inside the compartment. It's attached to a technic pin in the sidewall at the bottom. The door is attached with a second technic pin at the top. The arm allows the whole door to swing out and then up, much like a many garage doors. I'll see that I make a better picture one of these days.

I personally think that 8-wide is too big for most minifig scale vehicles, but if you don't want to change the width of the doors and use these wheels, I reckon 8-wide is probably best. It'll sort out just about all the issues with the proportions. I'd hate to know how much that will cost, if the 6-wide version is already $150 :wacko:

Cheers,

Ralph

Well after some time and a recent move I finally got a chance to re-do my 6 wide Engine to a 8 wide Engine. This truck does not have functioning doors but is more built based on being a model. You can however put 5 firefighters in the cab just like the real life truck. I really like this new design a lot and it seems to look much better than my 1st pass. I have Ordered through Lego so I should have it built in a few weeks. Please feel free to provide feedback!

6166722628_d0b1ef211c_z.jpg

6166185933_9d2859e376_b.jpg

Edited by Mrcool1804

Great firetruck. I just finished a 6 wide of my own but its nowhere near as detailed.

On a side note, can someone explain to me what "snot" is?

Great fire engine design.

Looking forward to seeing it in the brick.

On a side note, can someone explain to me what "snot" is?

Studs Not On Top.

:classic: :classic:

Great fire engine design.

Looking forward to seeing it in the brick.

Studs Not On Top.

:classic: :classic:

Ahh I figured it was something along those lines. Thanks.

Well after some time and a recent move I finally got a chance to re-do my 6 wide Engine to a 8 wide Engine. This truck does not have functioning doors but is more built based on being a model. You can however put 5 firefighters in the cab just like the real life truck. I really like this new design a lot and it seems to look much better than my 1st pass. I have Ordered through Lego so I should have it built in a few weeks. Please feel free to provide feedback!

That does look a lot more serious than the first one. I wouldn't really consider it minifig scale anymore, because it dwarfs the figs, but I like it a lot. You've got a lot of detail in there and the overall look is nice too. I'm curious. The 6-wide version cost $150. How much is this if you buy it directly from LEGO. $250?

Ahh I figured it was something along those lines. Thanks.

That may be what the acronym stands for, but is not really an explanation. I model may have studs on top and still incorporate a lot of SNOT techniques. SNOT is a term used for building techniques in which parts of a model are built with the elements oriented such that what would normally be their upper surface points in another direction, irrespective of whether or not there actually studs on it!

Slapping a layer of tiles over a plate is a not a SNOT technique, even though the end result means that there won't be studs on top.

An example of SNOT building in MRcool's truck is the diagonal stripe in the side.

Cheers,

Ralph

That does look a lot more serious than the first one. I wouldn't really consider it minifig scale anymore, because it dwarfs the figs, but I like it a lot. You've got a lot of detail in there and the overall look is nice too. I'm curious. The 6-wide version cost $150. How much is this if you buy it directly from LEGO. $250?

It was only $163, but with Tax and Shipping it landed me to $191.