v6TransAM

Odd sighting at Meijers today

Since I am basically a big kid, when I go to the store for anything I always go to the toy aisles :laugh: and check out Lego and Transformers.

So imagine my shock today when I hit the Lego aisle at Meijer.

I stopped dead in my tracks!?!?!?!?(get it?, get it?, I kill me)

There on the top shelf were to of the passenger train sets 60051 sitting on the shelf in there own spot with a price tag for 149.99. So as I started to look around with my interest piqued I also found 5 or 6 train station 60050 on the bottom shelf, also with there own spot with a 64.99 price tag.

Now, I am 38 years old and have never grown out of checking out the toy aisle and this may be the first time I have seen a Lego train set in a store that was not Toys R Us or a Lego store proper(leaving out the high end toy stores), at least anywhere near me my entire life in the USA.

So is this a "its just me thing" or does it happen elsewhere as well?

I saw the cargo train while clearance shopping at a Walmart yesterday. $199.97.

WalMart lies about their "clearance" prices. They have a whole rack of Lego at my local store with red tags with full Lego MSRP printed on them.

WalMart lies about their "clearance" prices. They have a whole rack of Lego at my local store with red tags with full Lego MSRP printed on them.

So true, Toys 'R' Us does that too.

I too saw the train stuff at Meijer in Michigan. They sold out once at least, and got restocked. I take this as a good sign! Meijer has frequent LEGO sales, and I"m looking forward to snagging a few of these when tey do...

Well it is nice to see it seems to be more than the odd store here or there.

I'm about 45 min. south of Chicago and like I said, seeing a Lego train set not at TRU has not happened for me before.

Interesting. I saw (and promptly bought) a train station 60050 from Fred Meyer (a Kroger-owned chain in the Pacific Northwest) just two weeks ago. It's the first time I had ever seen a train set of any kind there (and they periodically have 20% + 10% stackable coupons). Nice find!

Many people complain that LEGO trains are not stocked in retails stores. I've been carefully watching and have personally seen the last four sets of trains on retail shelves locally (before that was my dark ages though I know at least some were stocked).

In Australia it is at least partly due to the way stock is sold here. While the trains have up to a four year run, the retailers may not want or be able to re-order after the first couple of years. Many only have stock for the first Christmas after release, and most sell out well before Christmas. Also not all our large retailers stock the trains.

In practice since this is only three or four months every four years, it's no wonder people who are not checking all the toy sections miss seeing them on the shelves.

v6TransAM, I noticed the same thing at my local Meijers several weeks ago with regards to the new train sets.

I also noticed at my local Meijers store, prior to 2009, that there was very little variety in the sets that were available. I had to do almost all of my purchases from Lego.com. That changed when a Lego store opened within a 25 minute drive from Meijers. Now I can purchase almost any set at the same Meijers that can purchase at the local Lego store. If it wasn't for VIP points or a significant sale, I would because the Meijer I go to is less than 10 minutes from where I live.

Great find at Meijer, now keep an eye out for a sale

For a couple of years around Y2K Target carried the 9v trains- my own train and the white with blue high speed train.

Last year I saw the lone ranger train at a Kroger, but they had the whole line of lone ranger so I didn't think much of it at the time, though now that you mention it, that was notable.

I learned last week that the red tag on items at Wal-Mart don't necessarily mean it's on sale. It just means that it's a discontinued item at Wal-Mart that may or may not be on sale. That place disgusts me with their anti-labor policies. The only reason I go in there is to get distilled water and look for Lego bargains. Sometimes they have some good ones.

The blue cargo train has been 15% off on Amazon for the past few days. 15% off is still too expensive for me, however.

Have fun, Joe

Edited by Hey Joe