Blakbird

[MOC REVIEW] Grove GMK6400 Mobile Crane

I'd like to build this, well, start buying parts for it, but I don't know where to start... I've got a Mac but I'm not familiar with what to do with an MPD file. I'm going to start going through the build instructions to compile some parts..

Other thing is, we're in the process of making a big order of parts, where can I find a quick and dirty tutorial on how to best compare what I've got (I've got the current Technic crane and some beams in my collection) but I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of other stuff..

Thanks in advance,

Easiest way I found of getting the parts list was to use rebrickable.com. I created a private MOC and uploaded the mpd, and let the site figure out the parts list, that way you don't have to try to figure out what each part in the build instructions parts list are. There were a few minor things to fix, but nearly all parts were recognized. From there you can then create a wanted list for Bricklink if you like.

Edited by Freppe77

Easiest way I found of getting the parts list was to use rebrickable.com. I created a private MOC and uploaded the mpd, and let the site figure out the parts list, that way you don't have to try to figure out what each part in the build instructions parts list are. There were a few minor things to fix, but nearly all parts were recognized. From there you can then create a wanted list for Bricklink if you like.

Thanks.. I wasn't aware of that function in Rebrickable. I'll go through it and see how much I still require. So far I think I'm at 92% completion. :)

If there is a Mark 1 finished, it could be added to Rebrickable as a regular MOC, as long as it has complete instructions and a correct parts list. Might be convenient for people that already want to build the first version, instead of waiting for Mark 2 to be finished (or is it 3 by now? :wink: ).

I would say that Mark I is the version that Gerger and I built for which I used my draft instructions. Mk II is afol1969's instructions with the modified counterweight. Mk III may be the unsuspended version with Efferman's superstructure and actuator. After all this redesign, we could use his big turntable as well. Then of course it could use an sBrick or even a Firgelli actuator, but I like the 3D printed one better for scale.

It seems there are Actually following options.

Gergers mk1 with standard actuators and 5 panel boom

Gergers mk 1 with the shapeways actuator and 6 panel boom

Gergers mk1 with standard actuator and 5 panel boom

Gergers mk1 with the shapeways actuator and 6 panel boom

Edited by efferman

I made a rough measurement on how much weight the outriggers can do before the internal clutch of mLAs kick in or the outriggers stop working. Each can of "counterweight" is about 1093g and by adding 2 of them, the carrier can lift about 2.2kg of superstructure without problem.

_DSC2127.jpg?dl=0

While the carrier itself weight about 2.7kg, with the additional loading, the total weight is almost 5kg. This surprised me because I thought each mLA can only do 900g of loading during design stage(http://www.technicbr...magnifying.html). But it seems that they are capable to do more, depends of motors and gears setup.

I would say that Mark I is the version that Gerger and I built for which I used my draft instructions. Mk II is afol1969's instructions with the modified counterweight. Mk III may be the unsuspended version with Efferman's superstructure and actuator. After all this redesign, we could use his big turntable as well. Then of course it could use an sBrick or even a Firgelli actuator, but I like the 3D printed one better for scale.

It seems there are Actually following options.

Gergers mk1 with standard actuators and 5 panel boom

Gergers mk 1 with the shapeways actuator and 6 panel boom

Gergers mk1 with standard actuator and 5 panel boom

Gergers mk1 with the shapeways actuator and 6 panel boom

From a design perspective, I would said only 2 versions. One with full suspension (Mk1, MKII) and one with solid axles (this one shown with more raw powers / motors)

Edited by gerger

impressive

today i have made a small experiment. instead making screenshots, every building step has it own lxf file. download this as zip file and let the folder stay open. now you can jump from step to step by clicking the file. Please let me know your opinion

gerger, are you suggesting 2+ miniLA be added to lift the entire crane?

maybe 4 hidden ones could be installed

As I see it, the four lift the whole thing, and possibly more.

efferman; I like your experiment. With the last lxf file it is possible to make a part list and all the others give the possibility to see hos to build it.

Looking forward to the last files.

Edited by Jan Smed

today i have made a small experiment. instead making screenshots, every building step has it own lxf file. download this as zip file and let the folder stay open. now you can jump from step to step by clicking the file. Please let me know your opinion

i like your experiment - IMHO this approach increases usabilty and builability by lxf-fle enormously (because the auto. generated step-by-step-BI by LDD of a full model are in 99% crap)... now quite as easy as if build from professional pdf instructions... i would highly appreciate this approach if it is not too much effort for you... thanks a lot!

impressive

Hi efferman,

I very like this experiment. Separate step files help a lot to create an LDRAW file, I've made a try to export some files in LDRAW, an so I can follow and compare when some parts are missing or have wrong angles. Anyone interest on an LDRAW file?

Greetings

Alex

Hello Blakbird,

Can you tell me where i can find the parts list for the GRove GMK 6400 Mobile Crane? I have found the building instructions here on Eurobricks, but i am not shure if it is the right one. Maybe you can tell me that. It is an awsome set to build, but i can only do that if i have te right instructions en the part list. I allready have 2 sets of 42009. so the beginning is there. I hope yuou can help me.

Gr. JDL1967

Hello Blakbird,

Can you tell me where i can find the parts list for the GRove GMK 6400 Mobile Crane? I have found the building instructions here on Eurobricks, but i am not shure if it is the right one. Maybe you can tell me that. It is an awsome set to build, but i can only do that if i have te right instructions en the part list. I allready have 2 sets of 42009. so the beginning is there. I hope yuou can help me.

Gr. JDL1967

The definitive building instructions (for the moment) you find here: http://www.eurobrick...ic=99748&st=250 in post 261.

It's the MK II version with suspensions. But there are still other modifications on work you read in the last posts, so there will be different versions of the GMK 6400. With two 42009 I think you'll have already a big amount of parts. There are no Brickstore part lists, sorry. You can print out the lists and sort the parts you need - and note which parts you still have to buy.

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

After viewed the videos, I more prefer the version without suspensions - the driving/steering seems to be much better, and the gear ratio of the outriggers is more accurate. To see the real difference, I'll like to build this carrier version. But I'm not common with LDD and prefer an LDRAW version. The LFX file export was - as always - totally crap. If somebody can make a more or less accurate LDRAW file, I'll do again the part angles reviewing as I made it with the first version.

@efferman: The superstructure without the counterweights on back sides looks much better in combination with the carrier. It's still massive, but it gives a very good impression in the whole construction.

Greetings

Alex

is it a big possibility that you will be making instructions for this version aswell?

During making instruction i have made some optimizations and reduced the part count. on the boom and uppercarriage i have saved roundabout 150 parts. On the Counterweight i have reduced the details and saved roundabout 250 parts.

15894760397_cb1a2cdf8d_z.jpg

16018553655_6ac2b77429_z.jpg

what do you think, more details on counterweight or less parts?

Edited by efferman

is it a big possibility that you will be making instructions for this version aswell?

I've made a try to convert effermans' separate LDD step files into LDRAW. But at step 13 or 14, I couldn't continue, because at bigger files, the rotation tool doesn't work, so it is impossible to see the parts from a good viewing angle that I can see them all. So I've given up. Creating instructions from a LFX file, no way, I've not the patience for that, sorry. That's why I prefer LDRAW files - or photo sequences.

So if somebody can produce an LDRAW for the second carrier version, my offer to make instructions is yes :classic: - with the superstructure modification (Firgelli actuator) included.

@efferman: less details on the counterweight looks much better, no question :thumbup:

Greetings

Alex

15422240104_1f19581e41_z.jpg

I hope that in the very near future, there will be someone that will make the full compleet instructiuons, for the carrier, counterweight, cabine, boom and actuator, so this model can be compleetly build. i have see diverent foto's and instructions, but i still have find out witch is the right one. But it must be sad, its an awsome build!!!!