Robert8

LEGO Minifigures licensed series

Best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best licensed collectable Minifigures series so far?

• The Simpsons Series 1
    • The Simpsons Series 2
    • Disney
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 1
    • The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 1
    • Disney Series 2
    • DC Comics Series
    • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Series 2

12 hours ago, NathanR said:

oooh... I tawt I taw a Lego puddy tat!

Very exciting if true... Though I need to see the figures before I can got too excited about them. I'm skeptical how well cartoon characters can translate into mini figure form, especially after the Flintstones Ideas set. That being said, I would love to own minifigures of Bugs Bunny, Sylvester, and Tweetie Bird.

Simple, use molded heads for all of them. It worked well for the animal Disney characters, Simpsons, and so on.

7 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Tall, lanky characters like Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote,

You don't get much taller and lankier than Jack Skellington. If a standard minifigure body was fine for him, then I don't see a problem with Bugs Bunny or any other Lonny Tunes.

kisspng-jack-skellington-the-nightmare-before-christmas-t-5af3c0b666ca50.5882722715259240224211.jpgdis039.png

24 minutes ago, MAB said:

You don't get much taller and lankier than Jack Skellington. If a standard minifigure body was fine for him, then I don't see a problem with Bugs Bunny or any other Lonny Tunes.

But Jack has fairly small a nondescript feet, as opposed to Bugs’ big rabbit feet. And even if they can potentially pull off tall skinny characters that doesn’t solve other nonstandard body types like Taz, Sylvester, or Tweety Bird. 

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

But Jack has fairly small a nondescript feet, as opposed to Bugs’ big rabbit feet. And even if they can potentially pull off tall skinny characters that doesn’t solve other nonstandard body types like Taz, Sylvester, or Tweety Bird. 

For Bugs, maybe they could do a custom piece that works like divers flippers, attaching to the minifig legs and giving him his distinctive feet. Lego have been getting adventurous with different shaped minifig parts in the Trolls series, so maybe custom moulded bodies aren't completely out the question. For Tweety bird, I think this guy's Lego Ideas project nails the design: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/223073c5-0473-4d60-8c88-916b97340edc

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I'm going to stick my neck out, but I don't think he does work. He is recognisable as the character, but he doesn't quite look right. Kind of like Betty and Wilma from the Flintstones, these characters are so slim that I think they would have worked much better as mini-dolls.

Edited by NathanR

3 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Remember that this ... went to this ...

latest?cb=20190620025410dis008.png

I expect Bugs Bunny would be done with a traditional body and legs, like the regular "bunny suit guy"  characters, with a molded Bugs Bunny head. Same for Sylvester. For many characters, so long as they get the head right, the body and legs are forced to fit on traditional minifigure parts. For Taz, I would expect Ewok style. Even Tweety Pie, I would expect a regular yellow torso, orange mini legs and a molded head. The one that would be difficult is Road Runner.

Character Building did a range about five years ago ...

250?cb=20140707165458

Most of those had their traditional body shape (used for footballers, Doctor Who, soldiers, etc) with the head correct Daffy got webbed feet instead of regular feet. Tweety Pie and Speedy Gonzales got smaller bodies and Road Runner doesn't look like their normal figures. Tax is Ewok like on a shorter bod/legs.

Will be interesting to see how they make up a series with this, since so few Looney Tunes characters are female, and that gender balance is more of an issue marketing nowadays than in Looney Toons’ heyday. I think that means characters like Witch Hazel, Granny etc have a good shot, and wouldn’t be surprised for a couple of less well known female ones. 

on the comparative size issue, worth remembering that Chip & Dale, Stitch, Aladdin’s Genie, and JacknSkellington all made it into Disney CMFs, so I really don’t see here being a barrier for Tweety or Speedy. 

Excited for this if true, could make for some fun sets too! Hope they don’t cut any corners with the moulded heads. 

2 hours ago, NathanR said:

I'm going to stick my neck out, but I don't think he does work. He is recognisable as the character, but he doesn't quite look right. Kind of like Betty and Wilma from the Flintstones, these characters are so slim that I think they would have worked much better as mini-dolls.

I guess here it depends on what you mean by "work". I think it works in that they have translated Jack Skellington into a minifigure form. They could have done new parts, such as extremely long and narrow legs and torso that are completely incompatible with other lego parts. It could have been highly accurate. But it would not have been a minifigure. For me, the point of the CMF series and LEGO minifigures in general is not that they are screen accurate. If I wanted an accurate depiction of Jack Skellington in a play figure, other toy manufacturers make them. I think the point is that they take a character and translate it into the existing system of minifigure body parts (with more accurate unique cartoony heads where need be).

26 minutes ago, williejm said:

Witch Hazel

Oh boy I hope they'll make her!

My mom hates her because her name is also Hazel

I'd buy one to her :laugh_hard:

6 hours ago, Mattah12 said:

I can imagine Tweety working really well as a PPG styled minifigure, short legs and big oversized head.

Are Tom and Jerry considered Loony Tunes?

Tom & Jerry is apparently Hanna-Barbera.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

kisspng-jack-skellington-the-nightmare-before-christmas-t-5af3c0b666ca50.5882722715259240224211.jpgdis039.png

*sigh* If only Jack Skellington would have utilized the extended arms & legs from Toy Story in 2010.

40 minutes ago, MAB said:

Character Building did a range about five years ago ...

*snip*

MY EYES! What’s wrong with their faces? *huh* Why do they all look like they’re possessed by some snake demon? Take them away! :tongue:

Anyway, looking at the two Disney series, weird body shapes shouldn‘t be a problem at all 

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

MY EYES! What’s wrong with their faces? *huh* Why do they all look like they’re possessed by some snake demon? Take them away! :tongue:

Anyway, looking at the two Disney series, weird body shapes shouldn‘t be a problem at all 

That's because those characters were based on The Looney Tunes Show from 2011.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

*sigh* If only Jack Skellington would have utilized the extended arms & legs from Toy Story in 2010.

Even Toy Story doesn't use them now, so presumably there is an issue with them.

If I was to try and guess 16, assuming this is a standalone set and not ‘the first series’:

Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Porky,

Sylvester, Tweety, Grandma, Taz,

Yosemite Sam, Wile E Coyote, Road Runner (somehow), Speedy

Lola Bunny, Marvin Martian, Duck Dodgers Daffy variant, Bugs variant. 

I can’t see Foghorn making the cut, no idea how they will do Road Runner, but I feel it’d be weird if it’s not included, and I would very much like a Pepe le Pew... but I just dunno if he has a chance. 

I guess there’s also a possibility on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs making an appearance. I’m wondering how/where they might get away with using duplicate head moulds as in Simpsons & Disney 

I really hope they make Tweety and Speedy little animal moulds. Tweety could be in one bag with Granny, who doesn´t need new moulds. Silvester with medium legs would look so good next to them. The disney figures would have been so much better with medium sized legs for the grown up ducks and mice and long limbs for Goofy, Jack and Sally.

Edited by Gorilla94

1 hour ago, williejm said:

If I was to try and guess 16, assuming this is a standalone set and not ‘the first series’:

Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Porky,

Sylvester, Tweety, Grandma, Taz,

Yosemite Sam, Wile E Coyote, Road Runner (somehow), Speedy

Lola Bunny, Marvin Martian, Duck Dodgers Daffy variant, Bugs variant. 

I can’t see Foghorn making the cut, no idea how they will do Road Runner, but I feel it’d be weird if it’s not included, and I would very much like a Pepe le Pew... but I just dunno if he has a chance. 

I guess there’s also a possibility on Tiny Toons and Animaniacs making an appearance. I’m wondering how/where they might get away with using duplicate head moulds as in Simpsons & Disney 

It is a very male series isn't it. I know Grandma is female, but for me the stars were Sylvester and Tweety Pie. I had never heard of Lola Bunny, but looking her up she is too new for me to remember as a kid. I could see them doing Foghorn Leghorn, again just a regular body with a rooster head. They could do Pepe le Pew and maybe the female cat that he chases after.

59 minutes ago, MAB said:

It is a very male series isn't it. I know Grandma is female, but for me the stars were Sylvester and Tweety Pie. I had never heard of Lola Bunny, but looking her up she is too new for me to remember as a kid. I could see them doing Foghorn Leghorn, again just a regular body with a rooster head. They could do Pepe le Pew and maybe the female cat that he chases after.

The horse tail piece used for the unicorn costumed figures might *just* pass for a tail for Foghorn. You might be right re a micro figure for Tweety, but again, that would be breaking new ground. We might see some interesting innovations in this series ... which coming after Trolls and Super Mario might not be that unlikely

13 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

To get Taz's proportions right he'd need an oversizeed torso, and new mobile short legs.

I’m thinking something similar to Dogpound in TMNT

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Even Toy Story doesn't use them now, so presumably there is an issue with them.

I wish LEGO could reintroduce those arms & legs with dual-moulded colors, that would be amazing!

1 hour ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

What if its a Space Jam 2 series and we get NBA players and various Warner Bros properties too? It would make sense as the movie comes out next year.

Oh, and I wonder if we’ll get a Looney Tunes D2C set as well?

1 hour ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

What if its a Space Jam 2 series and we get NBA players and various Warner Bros properties too? It would make sense as the movie comes out next year.

As much as I'm curious to see what becomes of SJ2, I'd rather they stick to the classics. That being said I would be *very* happy to see the Mask minifig (and Jim Carrey is reported to have a cameo in SJ2)

5 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

That's because those characters were based on The Looney Tunes Show from 2011.

I kinda see what they were going for, but they still missed the mark :tongue: The cartoon counterparts look stylised while the figures appear to have merged with Beetlejuice‘s snake form :laugh_hard:

14 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

As much as I'm curious to see what becomes of SJ2, I'd rather they stick to the classics.

Agreed. 16 is just enough to cover the basics, no need for a bunch of basketball players taking some spots :laugh:

54 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

[...] and I wonder if we’ll get a Looney Tunes D2C set as well?

Interesting point! CMF series are often accompanied by a D2C, but not necessarily so. To be honest, I have no idea what they could do for a D2C. The WB water tower? :head_back:

I don’t think LEGO does have a good relationship with Warner. They jumped ship to Universal to make LEGO movies. Although Harry Potter is Warner so I don’t really know :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

To get Taz's proportions right he'd need an oversizeed torso, and new mobile short legs.

I think it could be done like the Gamorean Guards, Watto and Ewoks from Star Wars with a very large moulded head covering the Torso. 

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I don’t think LEGO does have a good relationship with Warner. They jumped ship to Universal to make LEGO movies. Although Harry Potter is Warner so I don’t really know :shrug_oh_well:

Given the fact that the reintroduced LEGO Harry Potter theme is succeeding and that we're apparently getting a Looney Tunes CMF, I think you stand corrected. LEGO's jump to Universal only concerns theatrical movies and some other stuff.