A bit off topic, but is anyone else disappointed that Lego Dimensions does not include Elves? It seems perfect for the "Dimensions" theme... Ah well, there's always next year.

Note how all of the themes used in LD are from 2011 or earlier. The game started development about 4-5 years ago, before they started even doing concept art for Elves.

Note how all of the themes used in LD are from 2011 or earlier. The game started development about 4-5 years ago, before they started even doing concept art for Elves.

Ummm..... no.

LotR started in 2012, BttF came out in 2013. Yes it takes time to develop the game, but it couldn't have taken that long. NinjaGo was going to end in 2013, it didn't and it's in the game.

I think this game was being planned the last couple years, WB and LEGO picked the most popular themes. BttF has a popular set, Oz had a rejected set. Then LEGO took the movie mini figures and NinjaGo (It's biggest theme that is also getting a WB movie) to launch the new product. You aren't going to launch a massive new project with Eves, an unproven theme.

Well, my wife surprised me with Naida's Epic Adventure Ship, and I must say that I really like the designs and am fairly impressed with the fairly advanced build techniques. I also really like the minidolls (is it wrong that I kinda want Aira's dress in real life?). I am planning to convert it into a light cargo ship (along the lines of a shinier version of the African Queen)/Barge hauler plying its way from one of the Elven colonies in Trindidad, Yucutan or St. Kitts through the various ports in the Caribbean League & even as far as Lone Star, the Federal Republic & New Jersey.

Until then, it's sitting in the "shipyard" until I get inspired to start modifying it. ;)

It was so nice of your wife to get that for you. It's a fun little build. I wouldn't say it's wrong to want Aira's dress in real life. It's a beautiful dress. Honestly, I would wear it with the sandals to match, they're adorable. If you know how to sew, or have a friend who does.. I'm sure it'd be a fairly easy project. You could have that dress in real life. :wink:

Oh that's lovely, the ship is a fantastic set :)

And if only I could sew! I'd spend far too much money on making game of thrones costumes ;) (actually my lovely, wonderful mother in law can sew, I really must ask her to teach me)

A bit off topic, but is anyone else disappointed that Lego Dimensions does not include Elves? It seems perfect for the "Dimensions" theme... Ah well, there's always next year.

Well, I'm not very sure. Although this game does include some other recent thmes (in Zane's example, he might just need a different texture palette and no alteration to the game), but Elves might just be too new to join. I think Friends, the other and earlier girls-oriented theme, could had be considered while the game was in development.

I agree that Elves are very competent video game characters, as same as the Ninjago characters. And in general, it's a pity that we've not got to see Elves take their powers into "actions" in both the storytelling and the app game so far. The must had been some fights in Skyra's generation.

Edited by Dorayaki

While I don't find it surprising that are not included given they're still so new, it is still a bit of a shame that they aren't. Even a brief appearance in the game would have probably resulted in increased interest in the Elves theme and sales.

I agree that Elves are very competent video game characters, as same as the Ninjago characters. And in general, it's a pity that we've not got to see Elves take their powers into "actions" in both the storytelling and the app game so far. The must had been some fights in Skyra's generation.

I agree. They have a lot of potential to attract a wider audience if they were to showcase their powers more, and especially in a battle setting. Hopefully the next wave will be more brave in that respect. The show was good at introducing each of the Elves' powers, especially considering the short amount of time allotted. The app, not so much.

Hopefully we might see Elves figures in LEGO Dimensions once the theme has had a chance to prove itself. So far in the wave we've seen, LEGO Dimensions has pretty much entirely avoided "untested" themes. Most of the themes represented (all but The Wizard of Oz and BTTF) are ones that have already had a chance to prove their sales potential both as LEGO sets and as LEGO video games.

Frankly, the lack of LEGO Friends and LEGO City expansion sets surprises me more than the lack of LEGO Elves expansion sets. If LEGO Dimensions is successful, there will be plenty of opportunities for it to expand its reach to include other non-licensed themes, including LEGO Elves.

Hopefully we might see Elves figures in LEGO Dimensions once the theme has had a chance to prove itself. So far in the wave we've seen, LEGO Dimensions has pretty much entirely avoided "untested" themes. Most of the themes represented (all but The Wizard of Oz and BTTF) are ones that have already had a chance to prove their sales potential both as LEGO sets and as LEGO video games.

Frankly, the lack of LEGO Friends and LEGO City expansion sets surprises me more than the lack of LEGO Elves expansion sets. If LEGO Dimensions is successful, there will be plenty of opportunities for it to expand its reach to include other non-licensed themes, including LEGO Elves.

Probably the main reason that Lego didn't incoude Friends, City, or even Elves is that Lego Dimensions is a conflict-based action game. True, I can see the Elves being able to fight and even some City citizens using their (handbags? Coffee mugs?) to whack people, and a City world expansion pack would be great, but conflict isn't the main driving factor of those themes. Ninjago, Oz, Lego Movie, Super Heroes, and even BTTF to an extent are way more centered around conflict than City, Friends, or Elves.

(Although Andrea with a special guitar attack like Marty would be sweet...... And I'm not even going to imagine how awesome the Elves powers would be in game)

Edited by legozebra

In City's case, the main issue is the video game predecessor Undercover isn't considered in Dimensions. Needless to say, the police characters are capable of action despite they might be less appealing to video game fanbase. Two potential factors are there, one is that Uc wasn't directed by Warner Bros, the other is that Uc's storyline is pretty underestimated in the later City catalogue.

It's pretty offtopic, yes, Friends is indeed the furthest from "action" among all LEGO themes. However, it's actually against the main concept of the theme "oridinary girls can do extraordinary things", and their lack of roles in both TLM1 and this game fail to show that concept. Disney Infinity did include several non-action type heroines so Friends shouldn't have that problem.

As for Elves, as mentioned, the theme could have done more with action scenes and video games and I believe the characters' potential, because they're not weaker than many of the current member from Dimension roster. Coincidentally, Disney Infinity also included TinkleBell, and I think Infinity did a better job to balance between their different targeted markets.

Okay. This was relevant when it was Elves centred. Dimensions discussion goes elsewhere please!

The pre-orders for the new Elves set coming out August 1 have been released on Amazon.de. While it is in Euros, the USD amount should be fairly similar (usually <$10 difference)

• 41077 Aira's Pegasus Sleigh - €39.99 - August 1
  • 41078 Skyra's Mysterious Sky Castle - €89.99 - August 1

^I'm excited for both those summer sets, but that castle sure is expensive. I'll need to careful with my Lego spending until then.

Edited to add: The Elves book #1, also coming in August has been given a title now; "Quest for the Keys".

Edited by Iria

Elves book? <excited>

Yep! Though it might very easily just be an adaptation of the first TV episode.

There's also an activity book coming out in October which includes a buildable LEGO bracelet.

These are both published in the US by Scholastic. I believe the activity book will probably also be published by Egmont Books in the UK, but I'm not sure about the chapter book, or whether Europe and the UK might end up getting books that the US isn't even getting (as they have for some other themes like Ninjago in the past).

I like this theme, and I'd like to collect it. Unfortunately with my finances and my enthusiasm for so many other themes (not to mention occasional non-LEGO stuff), I doubt I'll be able to, but I did make sure to pick up Aira's Creative Workshop last month, thus also getting me Azari's Magic Fire. Has there been news of any further polybags or other promos?

It took me long enough, but I finally got around to watching the special on the site. I like it! I'm really taken with the lush scoring. And jeez, Ashleigh Ball is all over it, isn't she?

The LEGO Elves website has had a major update! I made a list of most of the new content right here!

Aanchir, I checked out you list, and saw you'd mentioned some things like a downloadable MP3 that I can't find. Have they been removed? I hope not! If not, where are they?

Peppermint_M, I trust you won't mind a little LEGO Dimensions discussion here if it pertains specifically to Elves:

Well, actually not - the Middle-Earth themes are from 2012, and The LEGO Movie is from just last year. Moreover, we also know lots of stuff will be included that hasn't been announced yet; while most discussion of this focuses on various licensed properties, we also know at least some of the game involves LEGO's homegrown themes, like NinjaGo.

I think Elves is quite likely one of the strongest candidates for inclusion, out of all original LEGO themes. A minidoll-based theme would add visual diversity to the lineup of mostly minifigure-based themes; more importantly, any of the minidoll themes would be an obvious way to address the gender representation disparity that characterizes... well, pretty much everything, including so much of LEGO, videogames, and LEGO videogames. And of the three minidoll themes currently extant, Elves is the most obvious choice, with its fantasy adventure theme - heck, it's already about traveling through portals to otherworldly realms and having adventures, which is very much in line with what LEGO Dimensions is about. Friends, by comparison, while already now a well-established, "classic" LEGO theme with a huge following, doesn't have "adventure" so close to its core as Elves (though since it is so big now I could see it being integrated alongside Elves and all the other themes; I just don't see LD entirely ignoring Elves if it's going to have Friends). And Disney Princess is surely right out, for the same reason as Marvel, Star Wars, etc.

Just using the handful of characters already present in this one brand-new theme, Elves could double the number of female characters available to players, from the five we know about. That could potentially significantly expand the game's appeal to a large swath of gamers, and I think LEGO and Warner will want to take advantage of that opportunity. I'm going to go ahead and predict we'll get at least two or three Elves-based Fun Packs for LEGO Dimensions. Anyone care to place bets on which characters are likeliest?

I like this theme, and I'd like to collect it. Unfortunately with my finances and my enthusiasm for so many other themes (not to mention occasional non-LEGO stuff), I doubt I'll be able to, but I did make sure to pick up Aira's Creative Workshop last month, thus also getting me Azari's Magic Fire. Has there been news of any further polybags or other promos?

It took me long enough, but I finally got around to watching the special on the site. I like it! I'm really taken with the lush scoring. And jeez, Ashleigh Ball is all over it, isn't she?

Aanchir, I checked out you list, and saw you'd mentioned some things like a downloadable MP3 that I can't find. Have they been removed? I hope not! If not, where are they?

Peppermint_M, I trust you won't mind a little LEGO Dimensions discussion here if it pertains specifically to Elves:

Well, actually not - the Middle-Earth themes are from 2012, and The LEGO Movie is from just last year. Moreover, we also know lots of stuff will be included that hasn't been announced yet; while most discussion of this focuses on various licensed properties, we also know at least some of the game involves LEGO's homegrown themes, like NinjaGo.

I think Elves is quite likely one of the strongest candidates for inclusion, out of all original LEGO themes. A minidoll-based theme would add visual diversity to the lineup of mostly minifigure-based themes; more importantly, any of the minidoll themes would be an obvious way to address the gender representation disparity that characterizes... well, pretty much everything, including so much of LEGO, videogames, and LEGO videogames. And of the three minidoll themes currently extant, Elves is the most obvious choice, with its fantasy adventure theme - heck, it's already about traveling through portals to otherworldly realms and having adventures, which is very much in line with what LEGO Dimensions is about. Friends, by comparison, while already now a well-established, "classic" LEGO theme with a huge following, doesn't have "adventure" so close to its core as Elves (though since it is so big now I could see it being integrated alongside Elves and all the other themes; I just don't see LD entirely ignoring Elves if it's going to have Friends). And Disney Princess is surely right out, for the same reason as Marvel, Star Wars, etc.

Just using the handful of characters already present in this one brand-new theme, Elves could double the number of female characters available to players, from the five we know about. That could potentially significantly expand the game's appeal to a large swath of gamers, and I think LEGO and Warner will want to take advantage of that opportunity. I'm going to go ahead and predict we'll get at least two or three Elves-based Fun Packs for LEGO Dimensions. Anyone care to place bets on which characters are likeliest?

I would expect that if we got Elves packs, we'd probably get the four main elf characters, like how Ninjago has already featured all four main Ninja. If they were released in waves, the first wave would probably include AT LEAST Naida and Aira, since those are the two who already have vehicles that could be adapted into mini-models. Emily Jones may or may not appear: her non-elemental magic might be hard to adapt for combat. But who knows?

That gets me wondering if the new games will have any sort of elemental system like Skylanders. Such a system would have to incorporate the various elemental trees of several Lego brands: Ninjago, Elves, maybe even Bionicle. But it's probably more likely that elemental power would be mostly an aesthetic feature of standard sorts of attacks, like the other Lego games. At best, it might use specific elements for puzzles, like allowing fire-based characters to light candles or torches.

I think you're right about the four main elves being likely. Emily could be one as well; it's possible her pendant could be treated as giving her her own unique powers in the game.

This writer for Forbes certainly seems to consider Elves a strong contender for inclusion in LEGO Dimensions, specifically citing it right in the second sentence of a three-page article, and later discussing its story concepts (with the key collecting and all) as a natural fit for the game, but doesn't appear to have any concrete confirming information.

Currently, I'd say the most likely characters to see would be Naida and Aira, simply because pretty much every expansion pack so far has had a character and a matching mini-vehicle, and Naida and Aira are the only two characters with vehicles so far (the Adventure Ship and Pegasus Sleigh, respectively). Of course, some characters like the Wicked Witch of the West and Cyborg have a brick-built "companion" instead of a vehicle, but even so there aren't a lot of things that could meet the requirements for one of those other than perhaps the pegasi from the summer sets.

That's not to say LEGO could not "invent" vehicles or companions for the characters, as they did with Cyborg's Cyber-Guard, Emmet's Excavator, Legolas's Arrow Launcher, Unikitty's Cloud Cuckoo Car, or Gimli's Axe Chariot. Also, since we might not be seeing LEGO Elves characters in LEGO Dimensions until at least next year, it's possible other characters will have vehicles by then. Even so, Aira and Naida already having distinctive vehicles of their own still makes them prime candidates for the LEGO Dimensions treatment in my eyes.

Yep! Though it might very easily just be an adaptation of the first TV episode.

There's also an activity book coming out in October which includes a buildable LEGO bracelet.

These are both published in the US by Scholastic. I believe the activity book will probably also be published by Egmont Books in the UK, but I'm not sure about the chapter book, or whether Europe and the UK might end up getting books that the US isn't even getting (as they have for some other themes like Ninjago in the past).

Neat. They might be in our book fair next fall. I saw this last one had a BUNCH of Lego books, including Lego Mixels and Lego Friends

That's cool Sarah. I haven't been to a book fair in ages, makes me want to check one out soon. I was drawn to a few of the friends and lotr/hobbit sets, but what brought me back to Lego was Elves.

I think Elves is quite likely one of the strongest candidates for inclusion, out of all original LEGO themes. A minidoll-based theme would add visual diversity to the lineup of mostly minifigure-based themes; more importantly, any of the minidoll themes would be an obvious way to address the gender representation disparity that characterizes... well, pretty much everything, including so much of LEGO, videogames, and LEGO videogames. And of the three minidoll themes currently extant, Elves is the most obvious choice, with its fantasy adventure theme - heck, it's already about traveling through portals to otherworldly realms and having adventures, which is very much in line with what LEGO Dimensions is about. Friends, by comparison, while already now a well-established, "classic" LEGO theme with a huge following, doesn't have "adventure" so close to its core as Elves (though since it is so big now I could see it being integrated alongside Elves and all the other themes; I just don't see LD entirely ignoring Elves if it's going to have Friends).

I found this saying alittle bit unfair. Well, yeah, LEGO had been doing boys' interests in the last decade that often includes actions. But now since dailylife themes are also part of the LEGO world (especially when they're also popular enough), I don't see why Dimension can't have non-action type protagonists like Friends. Remember that CMF characters are not all capable warriors in the real world case, but MMO still manages to make all of them playable. I can imagine that Olivia use attacks similiar with CMF Scientist's.

In Disney's case, some of their popular films or characters don't have action scenes, and Infinity do remember to include some of them so that the fans wouldn't feel ignored.

As for the figures, we need to go back to the original assumption whether we really need diversity of figures that all represent "ordinary human", if it's not about marketing to girls anymore. Making all of them appear as minifigures is still a feasible option if it's LEGO's major concern. I can only say that, if Uni-Kitty, Gollum and Hulk from DC video games are all allowed to be playable characters, maknig a minidoll moveset for all minidolls characters in video games doesn't sound like a big deal.

Back to Elves, yeah, if Emily is ever involved in a video game, her pendent would work in a particular way. I wonder how her (grandmother's) "elemental power" is defined in the storyline. While the tribes haven't made appearances in the story, there should be some other elves that have the same origin and know how to use the power of "heart".

Figured I should share this with other Elves fans...

My son is a Lego Club member. But he's too young to have his own email address, so his club emails get sent to me. This was in the Lego Club email today.

220xnc.jpg

I clicked on Watch It! but it just took me to the non-updated Elves website. So perhaps this means they'll have new episodes up soon.

Figured I should share this with other Elves fans...

My son is a Lego Club member. But he's too young to have his own email address, so his club emails get sent to me. This was in the Lego Club email today.

http://i60.tinypic.com/220xnc.jpg

I clicked on Watch It! but it just took me to the non-updated Elves website. So perhaps this means they'll have new episodes up soon.

Very cool! But LEGO has been uploading the first episode broken up into six sections on their YouTube in some languages, so I'm a bit worried that "eleven clips" might just mean the episode we've seen plus the five character videos. Either way, I have my fingers crossed for brand-new videos to start showing up soon!

It could also be a simple typo in a message meant to say "Elven". :p

(No, I don't really think that's what it is. But you never know...).

How many here have already gotten all the sets so far?