Sign in to follow this  
MaineBrickFan

MOC: MEC 573 (EMD GP7, aka "Mr. Miller's Engine")

Hello, friends! I'm pleased to present my first custom train MOC, a representation of an EMD GP7 in the livery of the Maine Central Railroad (MEC).

The Maine Central Railroad operated passenger and freight service in northern New England for roughly 100 years. It's main line, running between South Portland and Bangor, Maine, passes within a half-mile of my house.

The particular engine I've chosen, the 573, was purchased new by the railroad in 1950. It was favored by the railroad's longtime president, E. Spencer Miller, and was often used to pull the MEC "business train." Outside of that operation, the GP7s frequently hauled pulpwood and other cargo to and from the region's paper mills.

Here are some source photos I used in the design and building process, courtesy of the RR Picture archive: http://www.rrpicture...e.aspx?id=11524

573_source.jpg

573_side_view.jpg

And here is the MOC. She's 8 wide at the cab and 42 studs long. Powered with the standard train motor; there is plenty of room on the inside to add a second motor and polarity switch, once I have enough rolling stock!

img_1528.jpg

img_1530.jpg

img_1496.jpg

(This is the best shot of the top I have -- sorry for the poor quality).

I built this engine as part of a larger working yard layout that I exhibited --my first time ever-- at Brickfair 2014 in Manchester, NH. (I'll do a separate post on the layout soon). I was honored by and very appreciative of the nomination for one of the exhibition awards, which was ultimately won (and deservedly so) by ShaydDeGrai's wonderful and mammoth representation of Barad-dur.

img_1469.jpg

The time crunch to get the exhibit finished in time forced me to cut short some of the finishing touches on the engine. I'd like to add working lights, which will require a redesign of the front and back of the engine, probably with cheese slopes instead of the current 45-degree sloping bricks. And I also need to "fix" the platforms at either end, adding stairs and replacing the buffer magnet assembly with free standing magnets and train. Decals to really finish off some of the logos and paint treatment would also be nice.

One final note, the 573 is still in use today. The MEC closed in 1981 as part of a merger with Guilford (now Pan Am). The 573 went through a number of transfers within those rail networks until it was purchased in the 1990s by the Conway Scenic Railroad. Today the 573 hauls excursion trains for tourists. Here it is in its current livery (perhaps a future project), enjoying its active retirement gig:

573_current.jpg

I welcome your comments, criticisms and suggestions. This site has been invaluable as I have journeyed out of my Dark Ages and into the new world of L-gauge. I'm still a novice in the world of train design but all journeys must start somewhere...

- MBF

Not bad engine there 'MBF', though maybe the red version might have looked more the part ?

Anyway, nice designing and Brick On 'MBF' ! :classic:

Great train! I could never build a train MOC, never knew why... Anyway, you did a really great job! I would love to see that red train too.

great though I think she'd look even nicer in dark green, but I think not all parts exist in that color yet

Hey MaineBrickFan, lovely! But I like the DarkRed version more... You think, you would build it too?

That Geep looks great! I'm excited to see another New England train AFOL building in 8-wide. Sorry I couldn't see your display at Brickfair in person. The 4-day format and Mothers' Day weekend were really killers for me.

I agree with Barduk's suggestion to try Dark Green if you can. I think you'll find all the parts you need. I'm torn on a Dark Red build, the GP7s were certainly delivered in that scheme in the early 50s, but it looks so much like the pre McGinnis (Bluebird) B&M. Hunter Green and Harvest Yellow says Maine like a Bob Marley (the comedian) show.

If you're looking to build out your fleet of rolling stock, PennLUG has a nice dark green MEC 40' PS-1 boxcar on their layout. I can dig up some pictures if you'd like. I can also share my B&M 40' Blue with black panel PS-1 boxcar with you (I used their design but with the Bluebird colors.) It would be right at home with any MEC GP7s and the parts are easy to source.

Thanks to all for your nice comments. I like the CSR red livery, but, as greenmtvince noted, it is very reminscent of mid-century B&M and, being in Maine, I love the Pine Green and Harvest Gold look too much not to start out there.

I was torn on dark green vs. regular green, as I do think the dark green is closer to the real color. In the end time and availability was the issue; I had the green bricks on hand and did not want to wait on BL orders. Perhaps when I go back to add the lights 'll redo it in dark green (now that I can get a more accurate piece count).

That Geep looks great! I'm excited to see another New England train AFOL building in 8-wide. Sorry I couldn't see your display at Brickfair in person. The 4-day format and Mothers' Day weekend were really killers for me.

I agree with Barduk's suggestion to try Dark Green if you can. I think you'll find all the parts you need. I'm torn on a Dark Red build, the GP7s were certainly delivered in that scheme in the early 50s, but it looks so much like the pre McGinnis (Bluebird) B&M. Hunter Green and Harvest Yellow says Maine like a Bob Marley (the comedian) show.

If you're looking to build out your fleet of rolling stock, PennLUG has a nice dark green MEC 40' PS-1 boxcar on their layout. I can dig up some pictures if you'd like. I can also share my B&M 40' Blue with black panel PS-1 boxcar with you (I used their design but with the Bluebird colors.) It would be right at home with any MEC GP7s and the parts are easy to source.

I'd love to see the PennLUG boxcar -- I did a quick google search to no avail. Glad to know there's another New Englander trainfan around -- hopefully we can get together at BF next year (when it's not on Mother's Day, thankfully!)

Sorry to bump this old topic, but i thought it might be interesting to see the update of this engine that I debuted at this year's BrickFair. It's fun for me to see how much improvement was possible after a year of dedication to Lego train building.

The new model, unlike the old, has working lights (front and back), dual PF train motors w/ polarity switch, and can be turned on easily by depressing one of the fans on top.

This forum has always been very useful for me; hope you enjoy!

17160381447_b56ca22cc4_z.jpgMEC 573 by Patrick Strawbridge, on Flickr

17180277890_01d03e13cb_z.jpgMEC 573 by Patrick Strawbridge, on Flickr

17180035988_c61440e2f5_z.jpgMEC 573 by Patrick Strawbridge, on Flickr

17341929382_7964c69faa_z.jpgBrickFair layout by Patrick Strawbridge, on Flickr

17131059087_69bd4611a5_z.jpg573 w/ boxcars on NELUG Brickfair NE layout. by Patrick Strawbridge, on Flickr

17312185905_bc817d9315_z.jpgRebuilt MEC 573 (GP7) by Patrick Strawbridge, on Flickr

Great job with the new and improved. Train wheels for radiator fans is a neat idea. :classic:

That's a great update. The dark green compared to the green already makes all the difference. But also some nice re-detailing.

That's looking great!! I think many people who have been here for some time have learned a lot (including me). Your model really skyrocketed with all the additional details. The colour looks much better as well. Hope to see more from you!!