So plenty of you probably have heard of the Cubestormer II robot that could solve a Rubik's cube in 5 seconds. Well, here's a new version, using the EV3 and a Samsung Galaxy S4, which managed to solve a cube for a record time of 3.253 seconds. And just to be clear, it isn't mine. :P I was just sharing the video,

Edited by pluto7443

I had my first original Rubik's in 1981 (before the chinese copycats). Back then, it was a 'feat' if you could do one face, and people (math professors) were talking about all the possible unique combinations, non-holonomic constraints ... etc. 33 years later, it's 'refreshing' to see all the new twists/activity around a generation-old classic.

I bet asking for instructions is ... ???

Edited by DrJB

I have been following the Cube Stormer for a while now and this version is yet another step forward.

This machine is at the very top of my favorites list. I think it's the best Lego (Mindstorms) creation ever.

Mind blowing, I wonder how much of the improvement was down to the EV3 over the NXT and how much was the S4

That cube has to slide as smooth as butter, the mechanical speed achieved is really impressive.

Yes, worst you can do is throw a NEW cube as such machine ... It'll squeak and scream and may break itself apart.

This is really cool. I think it would have been a more impressive video if someone would have randomly mixed the cube up prior to placing it into the cube solver. This way it removes any doubt of the moves being predetermined.

That cube has to slide as smooth as butter, the mechanical speed achieved is really impressive.

The cubes they use for competitions and records are lubricated.

This is really cool. I think it would have been a more impressive video if someone would have randomly mixed the cube up prior to placing it into the cube solver. This way it removes any doubt of the moves being predetermined.

??? That's exactly what they do. The cube used for any record attempt or competition is random. I'm not sure what the rules are, but I would imagine it has to be at least so many steps from "solved".

The cubes they use for competitions and records are lubricated.

??? That's exactly what they do. The cube used for any record attempt or competition is random. I'm not sure what the rules are, but I would imagine it has to be at least so many steps from "solved".

I mean in this video if someone mixed the cube up and then put it into the machine. The video starts with it already there in place.

I also never realized that Lego motors cold move that fast. Are they modified in some way?

Well people breaking records are allowed to analise the cube before taking an attempt. I believe this was done here also - cube rotated, phone calculated the solving path and EV3 just did the dirty job.

Well people breaking records are allowed to analyze the cube before taking an attempt.

True, but the starting state of the cube is not predetermined. It is different every time.

I believe this was done here also - cube rotated, phone calculated the solving path and EV3 just did the dirty job.

Yes, the first step is always "scan" and I don't believe this counts as part of the time. However, I'm sure it only takes a millisecond for the phone to calculate the solving path.