Dion

[WIP] What should I build from this?

Hello everyone,

I have spent last week building a 6-wheeled truck with 4 steered wheels. Other functions are drive and working outriggers. The problem is that I don't know what i should further build. I am doubting between a tow truck and a mobile crane, but other suggestions are welcome.

It drives quite fast, because I connected the m motor for driving directly to the differential. It steers slow enough to drive quite precise, but not too slow.

Here are some foto's:

2014-03-10_14.26.44.jpg

2014-03-10_14.27.00.jpg

2014-03-10_14.27.16.jpg

2014-03-10_14.27.30.jpg

2014-03-10_14.27.51.jpg

Edited by Dion

That is quite an unusual layout of the axles, I can't think of any normal use real world vehicles with that particular layout, combined with that size of wheels..

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with building from ones imagination! :thumbup:

I would consider putting in an extra axle in the middle, and then try to make a mobile crane perhaps? It really comes down to what you want yourself. Making a mobile crane, with a multi stage boom, requires a lot of patience, and is easier said than done. A tow truck might be easier? :classic:

Unusual layout, indeed.

There are some trucks crane behind the cab that has similar setup, but with significantly larger tires. Right now, it looks to me it could be some kind of bus.

That is quite an unusual layout of the axles, I can't think of any normal use real world vehicles with that particular layout, combined with that size of wheels..

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with building from ones imagination! :thumbup:

I would consider putting in an extra axle in the middle, and then try to make a mobile crane perhaps? It really comes down to what you want yourself. Making a mobile crane, with a multi stage boom, requires a lot of patience, and is easier said than done. A tow truck might be easier? :classic:

Unfortunately I only own 6 of those wheels. But I think that I am going to make a tow truck.

Yeah, but that center axle helps against bending, so truck does not require strengthened chassis.

It is for sure steered.

Also, it is perfect for the project Dion is working on.

Wheels a little small, but google about russian amphibious track "BAZ 5921 / BAZ 5922". Same wheels scheme. Also, outriggers were used in military modification named "SS-21 Scarab".

1765282.jpgBAZ5921_6.jpg

Edited by spund

I remember that some busses use that configuration in Austria... It's an unusual concept, interesting !

Why not make a moving paltform? The sort of thing they use to move massive loads.

ETALDSC09433.jpg

I think the previous two suggestions would be cool. Although for the last one, I would make a small truck to go along with it, but it's up to you.

Also have you thought about buying the new tires from the Hotrod (2014) and Container Truck (2014) to give it a more aggressive presence for the Russian vehicle above?

Why not make a moving paltform? The sort of thing they use to move massive loads.

ETALDSC09433.jpg

There is a person sitting on the trailer ... not very safe in my book.

Also, any idea where that picture was taken ... I see writings in arabic on the road signs.

Well I,m certain it was not here in the US, LOL. I would say the Middle East, and the guy riding on it, well that's normal for them :)

Well I,m certain it was not here in the US, LOL. I would say the Middle East, and the guy riding on it, well that's normal for them :)

Ouch ... not sure what you mean by 'them' ... let us refrain from voicing our pre/mis-conceptions. While I agree it's somewhere in the middle-east ... most likely it's a European/US contractor operating that begamoth of a truck ... Ooops, pre-conceptions go both ways ;)

Edited by DrJB

Them = Those who are without laws and regulations regarding safety... :laugh:

Not to take this off course ... but what makes you guys think there are no laws/regulations for safety ... One person playing dumb does not mean the country has no laws ... You should travel more and explore the world ... it's the only cure for such 'absurd' mis-conceptions ... sorry, I say it as it is.

Edited by DrJB

Not to take this off course ... but what makes you guys think there are no laws/regulations for safety ... One person playing dumb does not mean the country has no laws ... You should travel more and explore the world ... it's the only cure for such 'absurd' mis-conceptions ... sorry, I say it as it is.

Well just from seeing this picture, I would say that the laws regarding vehicular passenger safety in whatever area this is are most likely non-existent, otherwise this wouldn't be allowed... Not really sure what is so "absurd" about drawing an obvious conclusion...

This isn't exactly some farmer taking a group of people on a hay ride...

And how do you know this person is "playing dumb"..? Maybe it is his job to watch out or keep an eye on something.. Calling this person "dumb" is just as bad a misconception...

More than likely this vehicle isn't moving very fast anyways... Probably much safer where he is at than a garbage man hanging off of the back of a garbage truck...

Edited by Paul Boratko

As I said, no need to take this off course ... There seems to be many mis-conceptions here, and this is NOT the forum for sharing/debating such views.

Let's get back to the main topic, shall we?

Edited by DrJB

Interesting design. TMV 6x6 perhaps? Steering is a bit different, but the axle spread is similar.

1278311705.jpg

Wait, I found the truck I was talking about. But it has eight wheels, unfortunately.

Picture too big, CLICK.

The company that builds those, Jerr-dan, also makes a twin steer version that is one of the largest tow trucks on the market. These models have a 3rd set of stabilizers in the rear. I thought about building one, but it looks too odd. :laugh:

the way that the outriggers work on the tow truck is actually an easier system than what we usually see in lego.

might use the idea some time in the future.

I am doubting between this one:

Wheels a little small, but google about russian amphibious track "BAZ 5921 / BAZ 5922". Same wheels scheme. Also, outriggers were used in military modification named "SS-21 Scarab".

1765282.jpgBAZ5921_6.jpg

And a modified version of this one:

Wait, I found the truck I was talking about. But it has eight wheels, unfortunately.

Picture too big, CLICK.

Both are nice, amphibious looks too simple and not appealing functions, to me. Maybe you could add outriggers and rocket launcher.

Truck has crane and outriggers, so is more complex and interesting.

But as I said, both are nice.