Gatthekid

Quality of service at LEGO stores.

I completely understand your frustration and find this really unfair from them. I believe that they want to avoid having people get a lot of these polybags for the secondary market. However, the manager should really show some flexibility for cases like yours.

As Jorrith said, I would definitely file a complaint with Lego.

Was it the Martian Man Hunter?

Those are a strict one per household GWP. It's just how it is with those mini figures.

You should have asked for Ewar's Acro Fighter as a replacement.

I don't even know what the polybag was ... it looked like some sort of small bluish airplane or copter. Rather than letting them open the large sets, I have the kids assemble the polybags in the car, for the long ride home.

Edited by DrJB

That was the Chima poly bag. That is a GWP for buying Chima. The manager should have been fine with giving out three of those. My store does if they kids are young.

That was the Chima poly bag. That is a GWP for buying Chima. The manager should have been fine with giving out three of those. My store does if they kids are young.

That's the second time in this thread you've used the term "GWP" in as many posts, yet I've never encountered it before. What does it mean?

That's the second time in this thread you've used the term "GWP" in as many posts, yet I've never encountered it before. What does it mean?

Gift with Purchase.

This month, if you buy Chima you get a Chima poly bag for free. If your purchase exceeded $75 USD you got a Martian Manhunter minifigure for free (while the supply lasted).

Do you think she maybe thought that you wanted three Martian Manhunters, that's why she said no? Because I've never seen an employee that acts that way.

My purchase came to $71.99 at the lego store last time I was there, and they still gave me the martian manhunter polybag because it was close enough to the $75. I usually have great customer service there, I think this manager needs to be reported. They should have given you 3.

That is one exceptionally painful Lego store manager. She needs to be reminded she works at a TOY store for KIDS. Most toy stores I've been to (including Lego) nearly roll out the red carpet for you when you make a 600 dollar purchase.

The Lego store employees here have been most generous to me. I guess I've gone there enough now to where many of them recognize me by face. They almost always throw in a polybag for me even if I haven't spent the required amount. The manager at this location however... I have some reservations about as well.

That's concerning. You did the right thing by not standing for it and taking your business elsewhere. Perhaps you leaving your stuff behind gave the manager something to think about afterwards. Great that the other store was much more flexible, but poor CS on the part of that manager. Very short-sighted, too, as in the long run you may think twice about shopping at that location or making multiple purchases over a single transaction.

My purchase came to $71.99 at the lego store last time I was there, and they still gave me the martian manhunter polybag because it was close enough to the $75.

The Lego store employees here have been most generous to me. I guess I've gone there enough now to where many of them recognize me by face. They almost always throw in a polybag for me even if I haven't spent the required amount.

Thanks for sharing. It's refreshing to know that some TLS employees are willing to do this.

That's concerning. You did the right thing by not standing for it and taking your business elsewhere. Perhaps you leaving your stuff behind gave the manager something to think about afterwards. Great that the other store was much more flexible, but poor CS on the part of that manager. Very short-sighted, too, as in the long run you may think twice about shopping at that location or making multiple purchases over a single transaction.

Seconded. Extremely shortsighted.That manager clearly had no understanding of the value of repeat business. A very basic and valued business concept (especially on a customer willing to spend 600 on a visit). There is no way TLG officially sanctions such poor customer service.

Edited by Moebius118

Do you think she maybe thought that you wanted three Martian Manhunters, that's why she said no? Because I've never seen an employee that acts that way.

No, from her looks, demeanor, and attitude ... she just wanted to show me she's in charge. She won't even let me explain my position, with a very condescending tone: Sir, let me finish my sentence, this is strict store policy.

My young (innocent) son could not help: ..... Dad, why such (@#$%) employees are always rude?

Edited by DrJB

Good on you for leaving your purchase at the register and walking out. Spending $600. at a 'toy store' should get you special treatment, not a hard-a** attitude.

Not too surprised though,..it's Chicago. You're son makes an interesting observation.

I'm 99.9% sure what the unedited observation was,..based on my own experience here the past few years.

...they act like they're doing you a favor and you're in the way.

Did she roll her eyes as well? That seems to be very common 'customer service' in this area. Sometimes followed by, "What chu want?"

Anyway, shame that happened. I'd planned on checking out the Lego store myself soon,..so thanks for the heads up on what to expect.

Edited by Malikon

No, from her looks, demeanor, and attitude ... she just wanted to show me she's in charge. She won't even let me explain my position, with a very condescending tone: Sir, let me finish my sentence, this is strict store policy.

My young (innocent) son could not help: ..... Dad, why such (deleted, not fair to profile) employees are always rude?

From corporate's point of view, the MMH is a strict 1 per purchase give away. She was only following guidelines. I am assuming she probably could have explained that better. maybe it is just the Chicago way of dealing with people.

That being said, depending on the age of your kids she could have:

1) Given you the other 2 MMH (unlikely because they should be way low of stock by now)

2) Given you a MMH as well as Ewar's Acro Fighter

3) Given you 3 Ewar's Acro Fighters if MMH was out of stock

It is a constant battle I see, the employees want to make you guys happy and give you the GWPs, but management has guidelines that are fussy about.

Edited by legoman19892

Good on you for leaving your purchase at the register and walking out. Spending $600. at a 'toy store' should get you special treatment, not a hard-a** attitude.

Not too surprised though,..it's Chicago. You're son makes an interesting observation.

I'm 99.9% sure what the unedited observation was,..based on my own experience here the past few years.

...they act like they're doing you a favor and you're in the way.

Did she roll her eyes as well? That seems to be very common 'customer service' in this area. Sometimes followed by, "What chu want?"

Anyway, shame that happened. I'd planned on checking out the Lego store myself soon,..so thanks for the heads up on what to expect.

You're right on. This was followed by another mishap at an AuntieAnn Pretzel store in the same building. Rude/Obnoxious people customer service.

I tend to make the same mistake every time I'm in Chicago (I keep on assuming they'd be nice), but really .... those people do not belong there, I would drive insane dealing with them daily if I lived downtown.

I found the Schaumburg Mall store much friendlier (and less crowded).

Edited by DrJB

Wait till your car gets 'hit and run' or broken into about 8 times in 5 years.

That'll really make your blood pressure spike.

"Hey you hit my car!"

"No Habla!" *speeds off*

<cue rage>

That being said, depending on the age of your kids she could have:

1) Given you the other 2 MMH (unlikely because they should be way low of stock by now)

2) Given you a MMH as well as Ewar's Acro Fighter

3) Given you 3 Ewar's Acro Fighters if MMH was out of stock

My store normally gives a heads up and I have to top up a purchase to obtain a polybag, but if I do a big purchase and I have my kids there they will let me split the transactions and hand each kid their own bag - even if its for this case the Chima rather than the MMH.

The problem I've had with employees mostly occurs over Christmas time and I hope they are seasonal employees. This year past there was one more annoying than normal. She would go through the, 'Hi, welcome to lego. Can I help you find anything.' Regardless of the answer, then she would hover while I picked up sets - which drives me batty. Then she asks, 'It is for yourself or a child?' to which the first time she did this I automatically answered that it was for me. Her attitude and demeanour instantly changed, it was so noticeable it was abrupt and left me wondering what just happened. She asked me that question every time I went in over Christmas and after the first I always said it was for my kids, whether it was or not :sceptic:.

Sorry for the rant ... but something at TLG level must be done about this.

I merged your thread with an existing thread on the same topic, one with a more neutral title too. I can understand you're frustrated, but please try to not turn your post into such a rant.

I merged your thread with an existing thread on the same topic, one with a more neutral title too. I can understand you're frustrated, but please try to not turn your post into such a rant.

Thank you ... I'm all for the 'betterment' (aka improvement) for the Lego experience ... I just wanted to share some frustration and hopefully someone at Lego should take notice.

... removed, duplicate post

Edited by DrJB

Service at my local store (Metrocentre, UK) is very mixed. Some genuinely great staff who love Lego and go out of their way to help, marred by indifferent staff who couldn't care less. I tend to order from Lego.com anyway to save me the trip!

Last time I went to my local LEGO store, the service was really good. The people were quite helpful, and I actually had a very interesting conversation with one.

I've only been to my closest store twice, in Pleasanton, CA. I've had good luck with the service. I'm planning another visit this week, to try out the pick a brick, now that I have a project MOC I want to build. I hope they have parts I can use. I've watched a few videos on cup filling strategies... Lol.

I'm hijacking a thread a bit, but I hope it's still semi-relevant. Last year was my first trip to LEGO Store, and I just stuffed my PAB cups as I was in a hurry. This year I'll be stopping by two stores (Berlin and Copenhagen) and I intend to take more time. I've heard of employees bringing boxes from the back, is this a generally normal occurence? As in, can I just ask an employee what PAB boxes do they have in the back?

I'm hijacking a thread a bit, but I hope it's still semi-relevant. Last year was my first trip to LEGO Store, and I just stuffed my PAB cups as I was in a hurry. This year I'll be stopping by two stores (Berlin and Copenhagen) and I intend to take more time. I've heard of employees bringing boxes from the back, is this a generally normal occurence? As in, can I just ask an employee what PAB boxes do they have in the back?

Word is they can't do that anymore. Nor can they sell whole boxes. Distribution is much more tightly controlled these days. The stores get precisely what they need for the PAB walls and not much more. Sometimes an employee may be able to check for something specific or interesting on the back. But I would not count on it. Generally if they have something of interest in the store, it is out in the bins.