SMC

Spoiler - Lego Movie sets and film comparison with spoilers

IIRC, the Collectible Series Minifigure of Lord Business has a dual-sided head with him smiling (I could be wrong, of course).

He doesn't. He has a stern face and a really angry face with his CMF version.

Yeah I know...I don't get why he doesn't have a smiling face (even evil smile) on the one with the evil lair set...he has that weird visor thats only seen briefly in the movie.

As result, the characters and scenario from Evil Lair were not connected, as I remembered.

And for Johnny Thunder and many civillian characters we couldn't remember, it seems like that TLG just try to make some "samples" from hundred of characters and bricks, based on their commercial reason or personal taste.

One of the commercial problems is, I don't think kids could really remember the vehicles unless they've bought some.

Edited by Dorayaki

Wyldstyle's Super Cycle is the only set I have, so my OCD for film accuracy zeroed in on it during the getaway chase. The flaming exhaust pipes need a few additions, the sides are a bit different, and the front wheel assembly is widened. From what I remember, and studying a few film stills and the trailers:

Flaming exhaust pipes/guns:

On the sides:

• Change the orange cheese slopes to grey
  • Change the grey 1x1 tile to what I think are grey wall corner 1x1x1s
  • Change the orange 2x2 plate to what looks like an orange 1x2 tile and a 1x2 grey plate with a stud; the 2x2 dishes hang off the sides
  • The dark grey round 1x1 studs on the lower half may be the lighter grey
  • The main base for the body looks like a 4x6 frame, but that's more of a rebuild than tweaks
  • Swap in trans-clear cheese slope headlights for the trans-yellow

Rear Wheel:

• Change the trans-orange studs to trans-blue

Front wheel:

• Find a long trans-blue rod instead of the shorter grey one it comes with
  • From the inside out, it looks to be a larger black dish/umbrella that the current wheel+dish simulates (and works better as a rolling wheel), a grey 2x2 round plate, the black dish it comes with, and the outer 2x2 grey dish

I'm surprised that Super Cycle Chase and Bad Cop's Pursuit weren't two-in-one sets given what happens in the film.

...then again, I didn't get a good look at whether the film alternate builds are possible given the pieces in the sets. After all, Metalbeard had some really weird alternate builds that had nothing to do with how he appeared in film.

Edited by ResIpsaLoquitur

The SuperCycle looks a bit different in the trailer for the film in comparison to the set. The front wheels use dishes instead of wheels.

Edit: Beaten to it!

Edited by Lance

Before I start, everything was awesome about that movie!

Why wasn't that submarine made as a set? It would have been great.

I didn't see Wiley Fusebot anywhere, did anyone see him?

The blacktron is something I did see but I cant remember when in the film it was

The blacktron is something I did see but I cant remember when in the film it was

I think I saw the Blacktron fan in The Coffee Chain early in the movie.

Yeah I know...I don't get why he doesn't have a smiling face (even evil smile) on the one with the evil lair set...he has that weird visor thats only seen briefly in the movie.

That bothered me, too. He does so much evil laughing and the like in the movie, but there's no face in sets to represent that. It seems like a missed opportunity.

Yeah...my daughters pointed out that Sharon Shoehorn was Where's my pants guys wife when we were at toys r us yesterday

Just saw the movie again, the gear used for the back wheel of the "Super Cycle" isn't an actual LEGO piece, at least not one that I can find on Bricklink and definitely not the gear that appears in the actual set. The one in the movie version (as well as the video game) is much larger.

Just saw the movie again, the gear used for the back wheel of the "Super Cycle" isn't an actual LEGO piece, at least not one that I can find on Bricklink and definitely not the gear that appears in the actual set. The one in the movie version (as well as the video game) is much larger.

Are you sure? I thought it looked a little odd, too, but when the bike was assembled it seemed to be the same size as the one in the set. It should be easy enough to check, since the part's 5-digit design ID flashes onscreen when Wyldstyle first sees it. But I seriously doubt it's not an actual piece, since pretty much everything in the movie is (even if it doesn't exist in that color). So if it truly doesn't match any existing parts, perhaps it's a new Technic part for this summer!

The movie says it's the 40 tooth gear (which is the gear in the set), but that gear isn't big enough and looks different than this gear:

yMuh46w.png

So either it's a new piece that's going to be released soon (hopefully, so I can finish my movie-accurate Super Cycle/Flyer), or a piece they simply made up for the sake of making the Super Cycle look cool.

I did some extreme digging to find a few screenshots, which I think came from unauthorized source but I did find 2 good shot of that mystery gear.

gear_1_zps426df33a.jpg

The number displayed is for a standard 40T gear that has been around for a few decades but the gear looks different.

gear_2_zps6f42919d.jpg

It is not the standard 40T gear we know so either the studio messed up and used the wrong part # or LEGO switched number to throw us off since they may already have this new part but not released yet.

Finally got to see it today.

Wow. I don't know if AFOLs should be offended or not. :) Definitely thinking MOCers are OK, but folks who might not be as keen about alternate builds might be wondering if TLG doesn't like them very much.

One takeaway that I had is the Emmett's construction mech set does not look like it is going to be even close to movie accurate, particularly compared to most of the other sets that get screen time.

Definitely think that the Cloud Cuckoo set got the short end of the stick, and the submarine looks like it'd be a $400 set if it did get released.

Oh, and I want the cycle chase set even more now, but I can still take or leave almost everything else.

Edited by rollermonkey

I did some extreme digging to find a few screenshots, which I think came from unauthorized source but I did find 2 good shot of that mystery gear.

The number displayed is for a standard 40T gear that has been around for a few decades but the gear looks different.

It is not the standard 40T gear we know so either the studio messed up and used the wrong part # or LEGO switched number to throw us off since they may already have this new part but not released yet.

Huh. I had noticed earlier this year how outdated the 40-tooth gear is compared to some others (for example, a 3.2mm bar doesn't even fit through any of the technic axle holes), so perhaps it's being replaced later this year? It's certainly odd.

Finally got to see it today.

Wow. I don't know if AFOLs should be offended or not. :) Definitely thinking MOCers are OK, but folks who might not be as keen about alternate builds might be wondering if TLG doesn't like them very much.

Hah, I finally got to see it today myself (and it was, indeed, awesome!). Though my wife couldn't help looking over at me a half dozen times during the live action part toward the end, I think they drew a pretty hard line that we can all agree on: gluing bricks is evil.

Short of that, I've got plenty of assembled 30+ year old sets that are off limits, but my daughter and I play with our stuff a lot, and most of it is fair game for modification. They can always be built back according to the instructions, but that play time is priceless.

Blacktron fan can be seen right after Taco Tuesday starts, IIRC.