efferman

42030 - Volvo L350F MODs and Improvements

Just my 2p worth

The planetary gears are used in real life because they represent a more robust way of getting torque to the final drive. The amount of torque is a function of the overall gear reduction from the motor and frictional losses. So if you use the same motor and use the same final gear reduction at the wheels - ignoring friction (which will not be much different unless you use a worm) then the torque will be identical.

The planetary gears provide a way actually doing the final gear reduction at the wheel hub which means the torque in the drive shaft and final gearing in the diff/gearbox is less. (Ignoring friction - torque will be inversely proportional to the speed of the axle). If we assume that the final drive in the the lego model can support the entire XL motor torque through a single gear (one wheel - if we could lock the diffs) without ripping apart, then this mod - although elegant and true to life, is not required and does not increase torque for a given speed. (only a torque multiplier can do that - and then we into the realm of hydraulic systems).

Nice moc though.

Edited by TomOOO

Thanks

Now, where the first reviews are online, i see that i have a higher gear reduction, and the 42030 has more speed. Not sure which solution is better.

Hey guys, I was looking on the Volvo construction equipment web site looking for mod ideas. I found a side dump attachment, where the bucket basically spins, do you think it would be a possibility to incorporate this into the loader?

Just saw another loader using this, it looks like an actuator lifts the bucket, it doesn't spin.

Edited by aminnich

Made some cosmetic changes, mostly to the front. Made the front look more "full" and made the lift arms thicker like the real machine. The panels I added to the front do a good job of replicating the "V" shaped gap between the front and rear structures, like in the real loader. Also closed up the back, had to move it back one stud.

5czxc1.jpg

sql43l.jpg

9umzo1.jpg

Edited by WR3KL3SS

I was thinking of using mLA's for the steering, making a mechanism something like follows:

1. PF Servo controlled by IR receiver for steering.
  2. PF Servo turns a disk/gear/wheel or similar.
  3. Another disk/gear/wheel or similar represents the actual angle.
  4. The difference between these two activates a PF switch controlling a M motor, that in turns drives the mLA's
  5. If the difference between these two is zero, the PF switch is OFF.

The point is to have proportional steering, but more "sturdy" by using mLA's.

Perhaps it is overkill, but I still would like to experiment to see how it works. Anybody having an idea on how to build this mechanism and add it to the model?

I also did some changes to the original design. I mounted third party wheels and closed the gaps in the engine hood :-)

svadul9m.jpg

zv4chwfh.jpg

xysruq5y.jpg

As it sounds a thread for different mods to the 42030.

A few small ones I'm thinking about

A Quick-change coupling system so that the bucket can be exchanged for other tools.

As a bonus it should like the original Volvo system :)

A towing hook. Nice to be able to have a trailer attached with the other tools

A lifting arm.

Pallet forks

replace two of the 24 tooth gears with clutchgears to avoid using the clutches in the LA:s

Bigger mods:

Fix the steering

fix the linkage in the loader so that it remains parallel during the entire envelope. Rather nice if you got a pair pallet forks attached

I'm a little dissapointed in the lack of interest but :)

Lets see if a Quick-change coupling system can boost the interest.

Volvo Loaders (and backhoes) uses a standard system based around the "Stora BM" attachement system.

for you who read swedish here is a report on how to construct one http://lnu.diva-port...id=diva2:538871

I wanted to create something similar without having to rebuild the loader.

This created some space constraints that meant that I had to "cheat" a little.

however this is what I came up with

L350_Quick_connect.jpg

The idea is that the attachement hooks over the pin in the top and then you push a axle through the lover hole. If the loader would have been wider i would have loved to put a minimotor there and made it remote controlled.

I also made an LDD blue-print for my Quick-change coupling

https://www.dropbox....ick_connect.lxf

Edited by Mats_o

Adding some images to the posts would certainly increase interest.

Now when there is a Quick-change coupling we need some attachments for it

Pallet forks for example

L350_Quick_connect_pallet_forks.jpg

or is the crane arm more interesting?

L350_Quick_connect_crane_arm.jpg

I did fix the bucket too

L350_Quick_connect_Bucket.jpg

I have created LDD files for all three

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i1qbcejkujutmn/L350_Quick_connect_pallet_forks.lxf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkcdiffm07k2hw8/L350_Quick_connect_crane_arm.lxf

The big bucket does not exist in LDD yet so I have just made the adapter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb0jee102w2kqqw/L350_Quick_connect_Bucket.lxf

If you have not noticed my looking forward to a lot of different mods for this set. I love the idea of an easy coupling system for all of the different attachments I have in mind. Personally I have never seen the crane boom ona front end loader before, but I like it. Once I gets one time, I'm hoping to make a side dump attachment. We will c how that works out.

If you have not noticed my looking forward to a lot of different mods for this set. I love the idea of an easy coupling system for all of the different attachments I have in mind. Personally I have never seen the crane boom ona front end loader before, but I like it. Once I gets one time, I'm hoping to make a side dump attachment. We will c how that works out.

There will be few sure, but a front loader is not like the Unimog, there is not too much to do! But hey, all these are great ideas and for sure are welcome!!

The rear sags a bit because of the weight on the rear axle. In particular the area that connects the pendular axle to the rear of the chassis because there is no support above it. The two stud gap allows the beams to bend.

My simple fix:

post-27811-0-15118500-1408755186_thumb.jpg

Edited by therealjustin

I didn't have money to buy 42030, so I thought I'd build from parts in my small collection.

I also didn't check the inventory first, so I reached several points in the build where I realised I did not have the required parts, and had to make a plan...

And once I finished the chassis, I realised I didn't have enough yellow for the body (not enough YELLOW, sounds impossible!!)

So I thought I'd build body in Red, something like this...

71s7pi.jpg

No dog bones in my collection, so steering mechanism was made of axles and connectors:

dpa51u.jpg

Also not enough large gears for the LAs, so had to revise with clutch gears and 8-tooth gears

2l8x8oj.jpg

End result:

110w2a0.jpg

30ndsfo.jpg

dyqfc7.jpg

And having fun playing in the dirt!

14uesl3.jpg

Pity about the yellow chassis showing through, I tried to cover it up as much as possible. But wouldn't have had enough red to build a red/black chassis either...

Think is a little different from the original, I like the RED!

looks good. I have very nostalgic feelings about rainbow warriors from my childhood - very much the same building conditions of "make use of what you have". Especially in the 70's, when you just couldn't dial up bricklink and get a truckload of stuff delivered for comparatively nix.

Down at the bottom end of Africa you still can't get truckloads delivered from Bricklink... And internartional incoming small packages have a nasty habit of disappearing in the postal system.

So I kinda have to make do with what I have :hmpf_bad: