just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

Why just 1 reveal though? I was expecting either all 4 sets to be revealed or at least this set and the Bell Tower set as there are no spoilers there either...?

Looks pretty good. At first I was a little underwelmed by the size but it seems like there may still be more of the set cropped off on the side. Love the dwarvish architecture and the colours. The sand green and gold really help the set stand out from the others in the line.

Smaug looks amazing but I hope those ball joint wings are durable. The connection looked a bit weak in the video game like they could snape easily. :sceptic:

Only 5 minifigures is a little underwelming but I'm glad they're including the more important dwarves in the set, even if not all of them were present during the scene. Saves room for other characters in the remaining sets.

Edited by wesker

Why just 1 reveal though? I was expecting either all 4 sets to be revealed or at least this set and the Bell Tower set as there are no spoilers there either...?

its jsut how their marketing strategy goes.

and it makes sense. after having seen a set for too long it feels old, and kindof as if youve had it for a while even if you ahvent purchaed it yet.

I'm sure alot of us was mroe excited before this reveal, than we were before buying a set we had already been seeing for months.

I think some of the color choises are bad in the set. Here is my fix for them:

give Fili brown pants. give dwalin dark tan pans + flesh hands, and Balin, black pants(or something, I haven't seen his mvie costume) to break up the same ccolor on torso and pants thing they got going. makes it look like pjs.

20zb5mr.png

Bigger picture is way better. Yes, those wings definitely fold. I like this set, I will be getting it. And it seems like a lot of useful parts too.

Super excited to finally see Smaug. I think I'll probably finish up my laketown first, but I still have to have Smaug.

i saw the set and ... a part of me died ... ever since i saw the video game and the bright red lollipop looking thing they named smaug the first thing i did was send an e-mail to lego to change the color , even posted on this topic i think , it's a big fail .... the wings are small ...

Edited by agentsmith

I actually really like this set. From a book/movie point of view its lacking proper coloration, but piece selection-wise, its actually pretty good.

And is this set confirmed to be over $100? If so, I'll probably wait awhile for the price to drop.

(I would guess most of that goes to Smaug and the Sand Green pieces.

Smaug was red? Who would've thought?

I was never clear on that, is he actually red in the movies and was covered in gold dust or something? (I know he was red in the book)

I vaguely recall a part of the book similar to what's shown in the movie poster where the dust comes off in the water.

Edited by Lego Spy

I am actually impressed with Smaug, he looks way better than I was expecting, with those ball joints and foldable wings. The actual set is just meh, but it does have some very nice colors and pieces. Besides, the main part of it is Smaug, so it's not really a big deal. The minifig choice is a bit baffling to me though. Fili and Kili shouldn't be in this scene, since this is based on the DoS scene (at least I'm assuming it is, since it has Smaug). I would have rather had Dori and Gloin, or some of the other dwarves, but oh well. I'll definitely be picking this set up though!

We get the 4 msot important dwarves in this set next to Thorin. Putting them in this set means they wont take up space elsewhere. and theres no neeed to make the less important dwarves just to be movie accurate.

It's great that all the dwarves comes in their BO5A armor, instead of the rags. The movie is The battle of the five armes after all.

Oh I totally agree. The $60 Bo5A set is probably only going to have room for 5 minifigures if it is like the past $60 sets. The only way it could have more is if Lego decides to make it some sort of more expensive army builder than their $30 versions, but considering they didn't do that with the Black Gates and it was a perfect candidate I don't foresee it happening here either. The Bo5A set is going to be packed with new characters I assume leaving little room for dwarves. Bolg, Dain, Iron Hill Dwarves, Orcs, etc. I wonder if since the reports from the toy fair earlier this year were off about the sets if that means we might yet see a Beorn in bear form?

I hate getting so many dwarf rehashes no matter what, but at least they have new prints. I am kinda surprised Lego didn't include more of them. The could of easily fit 8-9 dwarves in a $130 set.

This set is possibly the biggest ripoff I've ever seen! It's $50 overpriced! And I thought Jabbas Palace was bad! Not to mention the Arkenstone looks like it's a sticker! What the heck!?

Edited by Ultron

Thorin being excluded from the Lonely Mountain makes me think BOFA won't be the army builder we're hoping for. He's too much of an important character not to appear in the final wave. I think we'll be seeing something more along the lines of the Black Gate and Dol Guldur Battle with only 2 generic orcs and the rest of the line up being important characters like Thorin, Dain, Gandalf, Bear Beorn... maybe armoured Thranduil if we're lucky.

I am actually impressed with Smaug, he looks way better than I was expecting, with those ball joints and foldable wings. The actual set is just meh, but it does have some very nice colors and pieces. Besides, the main part of it is Smaug, so it's not really a big deal. The minifig choice is a bit baffling to me though. Fili and Kili shouldn't be in this scene, since this is based on the DoS scene (at least I'm assuming it is, since it has Smaug). I would have rather had Dori and Gloin, or some of the other dwarves, but oh well. I'll definitely be picking this set up though!

I'm glad we're getting Kili and Fili. If we're only getting 5 dwarves this wave instead of all 13, it might as well be the most important ones in the final movie.

This further proves why I buy these sets for the figures only. They all look great. Smaug will be my first Dragon. But I don't want to spend that much on the set and you know Smaug will go for a fortune alone.

The more I look at the picture, the more I think there is a section missing ,because look at the track on the top of the set,it looks like its been cut off ,you don't know where the track ends and where is the conveyor belt.

set description:

Lego: The Hobbit - The Lonely Mountain is a 866-piece set that comes with five mini-figures — Bilbo Baggins, Balin the Dwarf, Dwalin the Dwarf, Ori the Dwarf and Gloin the Dwarf.

And then there is Smaug, who comes with translucent fiery breath, scales, giant wings, sharp claws, spiky tail and poseable joints.

The Lair of Smaug will showcase a secret door, an Arkenstone-encrusted throne, golden nuggets, treasures, assorted mining tools, conveyor belt, chain pulley to raise and lower bucket, furnace with a light brick, melting pot and torches with translucent flames.

P.S. I wonder if Smaug would look better with the other Red Dragon legs

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Smaug looks amazing but I hope those ball joint wings are durable.

Don't worry, they are. :wink:

The top is definitely cut off, and the conveyor belt just goes into nowhere at this point, so I would be surprised if there weren't another sizable bit on the left.

I really like the set, but five minifigures is way too low. I was expecting the 9 dwarves that went to the Lonely Mountain and Bilbo to all be included. Only four dwarves and Bilbo is disappointing, especially when two of them are Fili and Kili (although maybe that's a mistake because of the description... but I sort of doubt that).

And this unfortunately means that we'll most likely get Thorin in his armor in the Battle of the Five Armies set, which would take up the spot of a different figure.

It might be that the conveyor belt ends just avoe the black crucible thing, which just tips over into nothingess on the left, meaning there is no more to the set. Hopefully Im wrong...

Smuag looks amazing and might be the best big-fig out there but the rest of the set is kind of a joke I think :sceptic:

Now that I have had time to think about this, some thoughts....

(1) Hopefully seeing what is cut out of the photo will justify the hefty price at least a little bit more. I know a dragon takes a lot of plastic, but still, 5 minifigures in a $130 set?

(2) I totally agree with Wesker. The exclusion of Thorin in this set diminishes my hope for the BOFA set. By default, Thorin MUST be in BOFA. He will not be fighting the Witch King, nor will he be in Laketown. So far, it would be reasonable to assume that Dain, Thorin, an elf (armored Thranduil?) , and at least two bad guys (one possibly being Bolg) would have to be in it. That does not leave a lot of slots open for generic unnamed army builder types. What about Beorn, the token Gandalf, a generic Iron Hill dwarf, bear, eagle, warg, stag, boar etc? Someone or something we would really like to see is going to get left out.

(3) This set is obviously geared to kids, however I believe the "Pirate Ship Ambush" mistake from LOTR has once again reared its ugly head. You created a set kids would love, but most cannot afford. It is going to be a tough sell trying to convince Mom and Dad to get you this for your birthday or Christmas. The only reason I would want to get this would be for Smaug. it will be interesting to see what the going rate is going to be on Bricklink for a Smaug assembly. I cannot believe Lego put the dragon in the most expensive set. Actually, yes I can. They do the same thing with Darth Vader in Star Wars, which explains why I have yet to own one. It just seems like having the dragon in the Lake Town set would have made more sense and made it affordable to the target group, kind of like Dragon Mountain with the Castle line.

(4) Is that the secret door at the bottom below the bucket of gold? To the right of that, there appears to be a golden slide. Is that how Bilbo gets down into the room? I would think that the door would be higher up since he has to descend. Also, what is that box thing with the oversized lid? It is empty. Could that be a tomb for someone?

Yeah, I have a lot of rants, but there are positives of course. Smaug does look good, much better than the castle dragon to be sure. The set is more colorful than many with the gold and sand green pieces. It will certainly include some useful pieces. The arkenstone might not be too bad. It could be a printed clear piece. The new printings on the characters look good, and I too would like to have a blue Bilbo. I will probably end up buying the set mainly for Smaug. Maybe the use of the light brick and other functions will make the set more appealing once they are demonstrated.

Are there any new molds in the set apart from Smaug? The black crucible/cauldron perhaps, or the sand green corner slopes at the base of the columns in the throne section?

I think this set looks good,

Positives

• Smaug looks a good as he would look in moulded plastic
  • Lots of sand green and interesting pieces in pearl gold
  • Figs look great (particularly Dwalin)

Lets face it, this set is made as an addition to Smaug I think the speculation over the last couple of months has led people to believe we were going to get a massive brick built Erebor.

I think the inclusion of Filli and Killi has a lot to do with them playing an important role in the final movie and the weird coloured weapons might reference the dwarves arming themselves from the treasure hoard, hence ornamental weapons and armour (mithril shirt anyone?)

Edited by Slobey