just2good

LEGO Hobbit 2014

So what's your guys opinion on the 79010 Goblin King Battle?

I haven't gotten it, mainly because I wasn't interested in what looks like a random pile of rocks and wood. However, I've started to warm up to it.. The Goblin King is kinda cool.. However the main reason is that I just know that I'll curse myself for not getting it in the future, since it's the one set that I haven't got out of the LOTR/Hobbit line.

So I could grab it for a bit under MSRP here. Anyhow, opinions?

I haven't gotten it, mainly because I wasn't interested in what looks like a random pile of rocks and wood. However, I've started to warm up to it.. The Goblin King is kinda cool.. However the main reason is that I just know that I'll curse myself for not getting it in the future, since it's the one set that I haven't got out of the LOTR/Hobbit line.

Depends, if it is really the only one set you miss i would probably buy it if you like it at least a little bit. I personally skipped it together with DGB and BOFA sets and just BL the figures.

On the one side the Goblin King Battle has a great selection of minifigures and all of them are exclusive (except Gandalf of course :wink: ). But on the other side the build itself is a bit boring and the selection of pieces isn't really interesting.

Before buying it, you could eventually check BL, maybe you can find a good deal with the Goblin King, and the other figures you are interested in :classic: . If you can't find a good deal, i would suggest you to buy the whole set :wink: .

Edited by Balbo

Depends, if it is really the only one set you miss i would probably buy it if you like it at least a little bit. I personally skipped it together with DGB and BOFA sets and just BL the figures.

Same thing here -I had the chance to get the set for a lower price, but I didn't buy it. The parts weren't interesting enough for me, since I already had most of them. So I just purchased the dwarves seperatly.

I can also burn $100 bills but I choose not to. Molds cost a lot of money. Why spend that money on a promotional product. To my knowledge, LEGO has never done it. But yes, if they want to burn money, they MIGHT start.

If there is a way of re-using the part, they also do it. They have done it before, such as the SDCC Azog.

Now a new headpiece for LOTR Sauron is probably too specific to be reused, but it would be possible to do a flame version of Sauron, using Infearno's flaming headcover.

I agree that LEGO does creative purposing of new molds. I think Infearno's headcover would be reused as Ghost Rider or The Human Torch. We recently saw a new mold for CMF 13's goblin that looks like it was made for The Green Goblin.

Soft molded pieces are obviously different, but the hard molded ABS plastic formed under tons of pressure. That is one reason such molds cost so much to make.

In regards to Azog, the mold was made for the wave 2 set. Since they had it, they made preview minifigs for Comic Con with it. They did not make the mold for Comic Con.

I could see a Azog with armor printing as a promotional fig for a Bluray or book, but I cannot see a new mold for it. Still I think they would do another version of Bilbo or Thorin instead.

...I think this thread has started to devour itself

Hey, on a scale from 1-10, (10 being highest.) How would you rate the part selectiong, minifigures, and overall set of GKB?

I have to agree a little bit, this thread was suppose to be for 2014 hobbit sets, now it just seems to be talk about anything hobbit in general.

I have to agree a little bit, this thread was suppose to be for 2014 hobbit sets, now it just seems to be talk about anything hobbit in general.

But is it bad if the discussion is about any Hobbit set? We can safely assume that there likely won't be any more big LEGO Hobbit products, so why can't we let this thread become a general LEGO Hobbit thread, and just make sure the conversation doesn't derail from there.

We now have a complete collection of 14 sets. I think we should be able to discuss all of them freely in one place, and then keep discussion about the films and the lore to the culture and multimedia thread.

^So I guess I don't quite understand that gif above of Bilbo. It's been a while since I've seen the movie and wasn't really paying attention. What is going on there?

As far as the theme goes, I'd love all background characters too! More prints that are Middle Earth related, the better!

NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I thought it was kind of funny when that question was asked a little after I asked it. :tongue:

Okay, posts like these frustrate me because it'd be impossible to make an accurate Sauron without new moulds, which LEGO cannot make soley for exclusives. Bolg is possible, Thranduil is. Iron hillers maybe are, Ian Holm Bilbo is. Sauron in armour is not. Do I want a figure of him? Hell yeah! But it's almost impossible, unlike possible characters that are also important, like old Bilbo or Bolg.

Sorry you're frustrated it was merely my preference which I was expressing. Really a case of first world problems I guess...

If its exclusive make it something new.

If there is a way of re-using the part, they also do it. They have done it before, such as the SDCC Azog.

Now a new headpiece for LOTR Sauron is probably too specific to be reused, but it would be possible to do a flame version of Sauron, using Infearno's flaming headcover.

Slight tweak to the mouth of Sauron may be able to get it done to an acceptable level but i do agree that Lego are unlikely to do a custom mould for an exclusive, it would just make them exclusive and less ordinary...

^So I guess I don't quite understand that gif above of Bilbo. It's been a while since I've seen the movie and wasn't really paying attention. What is going on there?

As far as the theme goes, I'd love all background characters too! More prints that are Middle Earth related, the better!

It's a GIF i made, it's from a Behind the Scenes in the DOS Extended Edition into the fire :sweet:

There is nothing wrong with people asking questions.

I agree, I was just pointing out that someone else asked the exact same question one week prior to this one, and people answered as though it hadn't just been asked. Just found that amusing ;)

also meant to ask about this:

Honestly, it'd be cool to get Thorin, but he's already gotten THREE variants.

I thought there was only one version of Thorin released prior to the crowned version that just came out in BotFA., so my display case only has two Thorins. I picked up all the sets from the first two waves so if it existed I would have had one at some point, but reading this made me concerned that I had sold/traded off a variant thinking it was a duplicate. :/

Edited by bachamn

I agree, I was just pointing out that someone else asked the exact same question one week prior to this one, and people answered as though it hadn't just been asked. Just found that amusing ;)

also meant to ask about this:

I thought there was only one version of Thorin released prior to the crowned version that just came out in BotFA., so my display case only has two Thorins. I picked up all the sets from the first two waves so if it existed I would have had one at some point, but reading this made me concerned that I had sold/traded off a variant thinking it was a duplicate. :/

Up to now TLG gave us three variants of Thorin :wink: :

- Thorin (Outfit from the first movie)

- Thorin in Lake Town Robe

- Thorin version with crown

Edited by Balbo

From most wanted to least wanted, how would you guys rate Armoured Azog, armoured Sauron, Bolg and Bear Beorn?

I would say

1. Bolg

2. Armoured Sauron

3. Bear Beorn

4. Armoured Azog

My list would be :wink:

1. Bolg

2. Beorn

3. Armoured Sauron

4. Armoured Azog

I would love to get a Bolg and Beorn (Bear) minifigure, because we never got them in a set. Wie already have to versions of Azog, so I don't need a third one. Sauron would be a nice minifigure, though.

Edited by Balbo

1. Thorin in chainmail

2. Kili in chainmail

3. Ironhill Dwarf

4. Armored Orc

5. Bolg

6. Armored Azog

7. Beorn in bear form

Edited by azog15

By the looks of it,in the latest trailer for the BoFA you can see the Ringwraiths and each one of them has a unique appearance.That would be cool if we got a bigger set with the White Council fighting the "Necromancer" and the Ringwraiths.

For me my preference would be:

1. Armoured Sauron

2. Bear Beorn

3. Bolg (although I'd prefer a minifigure based on his older design over the Azog 2.0 version)

4. Armoured Azog (don't particularly care for him to be honest)

I know it wouldn't be the most accurate representation of the character, but I'd be completely fine with Sauron reusing the Witch-King's crown on a matching silver head. It would be a cheaper alternative to creating a brand new head/helmet mold for him.

I still haven't sprung for it, but I kinda do still wanna grab it to use with my Orc Forge. The Orc Forge is a bit less ramshackle, but color-wise it seems to work with GKB to expand a Goblin Town (perhaps even with Troll Mountain Fortress). I'm not terribly crazy about the Goblin King or his minions (in the set or in the film), but do at least wanna get the dwarves.

I'm not terribly crazy about the Goblin King or his minions (in the set or in the film), but do at least wanna get the dwarves.

I agree, the goblin king really didn't do it for me in the film, and as such I'm not overly bothered about his fig. The dwarves are indeed nice though, articularly Dori and Nori. Ori on the other hand, I can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something about him that doesn't really match the film version.