Sign in to follow this  
Legogal

What themes do LEGO "Old Timers" Collect?

Andy just became the first Old Timer badgee and proudly wears that one.

Now that we have more than five people with this badge, let's hear from those aged fifty and over about the LEGO themes they collect.

Duplo, Modulars, Friends, Architecture and Winter Village get most of my attention. Which themes do you favor?

Andy just became the first Old Timer badgee and proudly wears that one.

Now that we have more than five people with this badge, let's hear from those aged fifty and over about the LEGO themes they collect.

Duplo, Modulars, Friends, Architecture and Winter Village get most of my attention. Which themes do you favor?

LegoGal--

Thanks for starting this thread. Let's see if it brings the over 50 crowd out of the woodwork.

My favorite themes are Modulars, Winter Village and Architecture.

I have purchased miscelaneous others mainly because of one model or two or for parts or to see how some things are built. I learn a lot by building sets even though most do not last long (except for my three main themes).

I also have some very small Star Wars models that I use as decorations for my Chrisrmas Tree in my studio.

LegoGal theorized that a thread such as this would bring the AARP, CARP, over 50 crowd out in the open, let's not dissapoint her. Stand up, tell us who you are and what you collect.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

62 and on the dole......

Modular buildings, architecture, large piece count creator/expert. Like I've said before, had to play catch up on stuff like the VW beetle.

Eiffel Tower is my favorite.

62 and on the dole......

Modular buildings, architecture, large piece count creator/expert. Like I've said before, had to play catch up on stuff like the VW beetle.

Eiffel Tower is my favorite.

And then there were 6...

Welcome to the "Old Timer's" club. I hope somebody will please give Off the wall a badge.

Andy D

For me it's been fairly restricted to Modulars. I missed out on the first three though I'm BLing the CC at the moment. I've got the rest - and I'm eagerly anticipating the Parisian Restaurant. In the meantime I build Modular MOCs. Some from net-bought plans, some homegrown, some modded from plans. So the list so far is;

• Fire Brigade
  • Grand Emporium
  • Pet Shop
  • Town Hall
  • Palace Theatre
  • Metro Station Bar (Homegrown)
  • Brewery (Modded from Plans)
  • Pub (Modded from Plans)
  • Street Entrance to a Subway (Homegrown)
  • Old English Pub (Plans)
  • Car Repair Shop (Homegrown)
  • Soup Kitchen with Flop House (Homegrown)
  • Tractor Supply Company with Dance Studio (Homegrown)
  • Chilli's Restaurant (Plans)
  • Two residential houses (Modded from Plans)

Generally I'll have one or two on the go at any one time - so there's a Coffeeshop (Plans), Nightclub (Homegrown) and the Corner Cafe underway at present.

One of these days I'll organize them into a street plan, but in the meantime they're sprawling erratically over a couple of tables and getting dangerously close to my Home Brewing area....

Edited by eurotrash

When I was little... we didn't even have LEGO in the USA... I survived until Christmas 1960 without LEGO (age 6)... when I got my first set from my uncle in Germany... a 700/1 basic set.... this was when Eisenhower was still president :look: , and a full year before LEGO was introduced to the USA via a license to Samsonite...

I still have 1 LEGO element that has a provenance to this early period... a 10x20 gray (thick) baseplate... without LEGO on the studs, but on the underside.

Now 53 years later... I'm more into LEGO research... but I still have a bazillion LEGO elements... going all the way back to Automatic Binding Bricks of 1949-52.

Rather than explain what I like to collect... a picture says a thousand words...

istok-xmas3.jpg

istok-xmas2.jpg

istok-xmas4.jpg

I may not be older than dirt... but sigh... I'm older than ABS..... :blush:

Edited by LEGO Historian

Hi LEGO Historian... And then there were seven!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Strength in numbers ... just became eligible to join this elite group few months back ...

My fist lego sets were a technic tractor (851) + forklift (850) from the late 70's. My dad had gone away on a business trip, and brought me back the 2 sets.

I had then just started high school (Lycee Techniqe) and the ability to reproduce mechanisms I've learned about with lego parts/gears was ... out-of-this-world.

That was it for several years, but then more than a decade later, I re-discovered Lego while attending graduate school at MIT, where an electrical engineering design course (6.270) was offered and the students were to design a robot with lego parts and a microprocessor. This was the predecessor of the Mindstorms RCX brick. The workload for a doctorate and especially the $$$ could not support the hobby and my interest faded away again. I got back (permanently?) about 10 years ago with primarily the Technic and Mindstorms themes.

PS: where do I get my badge?

Edited by DrJB

i am gonna guess 39 doesn't make the cut... :cry_happy:

A mere babe......enjoy youth and celebrate everyday you have where some body part doesn't hurt, doesn't function correctly or a combination of both.

Reminds me of a recent movie where Russell Crowe says: There are two types of people in the world, those running AFTER happiness, and those running AWAY from pain.

[*]Tractor Supply Company with Dance Studio (Homegrown)

I do not believe I have seen this. Unique combination to say the least.

And welcome to all the "new" Old Timer's!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

And welcome to all the "new" Old Timer's!

Andy D

Sounds like one of the old Gary Larson Farside cartoons where the Dingo ranch was next to the day care center and the school for the horn section was next to the asylum for the nervous.

Edited by Off the wall

Here it is!... http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88656

Sounds like one of the old Gary Larson Farside cartoons where the Dingo ranch was next to the day care center and the school for the horn section was next to the asylum for the nervous.

LOL

Not quite in the old timers club yet (only 47)

Trains interest me, one of the first Lego sets was a train when I was about 10yo

the Meserk train brought me out of the dark ages

the city sets (mainly vehicles)and Modular buildings (because trains must have somewhere to go)

Come on! There has to be more ELFs...elderly Lego fans. Be proud!

The first time I went to a Lego store at my age, well, I felt as nervous and out of place as when I was 14, walked into the corner cigar/newspaper store and bought a Playboy.

... walked into the corner cigar/newspaper store and bought a Playboy.

Ahem ... That is definitey ... 'off the wall' ... pun intended.

Come on! There has to be more ELFs...elderly Lego fans. Be proud!

The first time I went to a Lego store at my age, well, I felt as nervous and out of place as when I was 14, walked into the corner cigar/newspaper store and bought a Playboy.

The key is to walk confidently up to the counter and ask in a firm voice "May I have that Magazine Large Lego Set from the top shelf please." Then pay with cash and turn around and hope you don't bump into your neighbours on the way out....

/Shudder/ I don't miss my teenage years at all.

Okay, I just bought my mega millions tickets. If I win the big prize, it will be free NIB CC, MS and GG for all of you old timers who have already come out of the closet, so to speak, and identified yourselves in this thread.

^That almost makes me wish I was an old timer...

But this thread is entertaining to read.

Well, since the odds are over 250,000,000 to 1, I'll go ahead and include you, too.

I count about 8 of us so far! Where are the rest of you? I know you are out there. Come on in, tell us what sets you collect, or if you MOC only, what theme(s) do you MOC?

I noticed some of you discuss trying to hide you purchases in public. I did as well, but in the last year or so I proudly discuss my LEGO hobby with people in stores, staff and other customers I run into (who are typically buying for their children), I even help parents with purchases for their children. I guess I've learned some from my experience and some from reading reviews to be able to help parents. Hmmm... Seems like a whole new way we as AFOL's can help others and contribute to the furthering of the art form / hobby.

Rambled on long enough...

Andy D