Sign in to follow this  
Xyver

Modular Police Headquarters

My city, Adestown is growing (and needs a better name), and with the growth in population, also comes growth in crime. So the city built a new Police Headquarters.

PoliceHQ_0001_zps7630a481.jpg

To make sure people new where it was, the put a great big sign across the front

PoliceHQ_0002_zpsb4b2255f.jpg

PoliceHQ_0003_zps7616504b.jpg

And a helipad on the roof

PoliceHQ_0004_zps8ccccb28.jpg

PoliceHQ_0005_zps2f1e63bb.jpg

I normally don't do interiors, but since I used the same jail cell setup as the 2011 Police Station (but fully enclosed and with two rows of cells) I thought I might as well finish off level one at least

PoliceHQ_0006_zpsc9b8ebc8.jpg

PoliceHQ_0007_zpsc17d1e1b.jpg

PoliceHQ_0009_zps860fce98.jpg

PoliceHQ_0008_zpse922481d.jpg

The other levels are empty except for the stairwells, I haven't decided whether or not to do interiors. I want to, but since no one will ever see the interior when this is on display, it is a bit of a waste of limited bricks. I will have to put a couple of desks and a few police men/women on the first floor though as the trans clear panels give a pretty good view inside and it does look empty. This is not a problem on the other levels though as those windows are trans black. I would like to replace the trans clear panels with the black barred windows, but I don't currently have any spare, so that will have to wait.

Here it is slotted into the main street of town. This isn't the final resting place for it, I'm going to have to do some reorganising to work out the best place for it to go. My town is going to have to change soon anyway when Chez Albert opens up in the new year.

PoliceHQ_0010_zps4872b7e5.jpg

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome, so don't be shy.

Xyver

Not bad modular you have there 'Xyver', though that police sign looks a little out of place against the other modular buildings.....plus the colours or tones just look too plain or is it based in Port Adelaide ? :laugh:

I like the large realistic helipad on top.....keep going with it 'Xyver' and Brick On ! :grin:

Really nice modular, it looks like it's meant to look, if that makes sense.... I love the letters on the ground floor, it suits the building really well. And the helipad is great touch too. I also really like the interior you have done so far, very detailed without being too crowded.

Your minifigs will now be safe!! Happy building :laugh:

I haven't decided whether or not to do interiors. I want to, but since no one will ever see the interior when this is on display, it is a bit of a waste of limited bricks.

I have the same dilemma so what I did to fix it is to build the interiors, take the pictures, then gut them for the next build and leave the exterior intact. It's worth a try.

As for your Police Station I like it, perhaps the sign on the front might need a contrasting background color so that it stands out more, but the downstairs interior is well done and I'm digging the Helicopter landing pad. I think my favorite bit is the facade detailing at the top - those arches and the black pieces work well together!

I like what you have achieved with this MOC, as I have dabbled with a police building a wee while back. The only things I would look at is your main entrance and trying to make it more of a 'main entrance' in detail and scale. The fantastic lettering (all the rage these days with modern architects :P) just diminishes it a little. Also the scale of your floor levels look a wee bit out of place, especially stacked up against the other modulars.

Great work though and great interior work so far!

Nice build! The colors are a little plain and it isn't too fancy, but it is still a solid building that looks pretty appropriate to be a Police Headquarters. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I think it looks sufficiently brutal to be a tough police building in a difficult district. The denizens of Adesville better be on their best behavior!

Seriously - I think it looks a bit cheerless, which maybe is fitting - I haven't met the cops yet! There's a police station like this near my house. It's in what was considered years back a "bad neighborhood." They've tried painting it different colors to make it more friendly, but it's still a brick police station that the neighbors are afraid of.

Maybe it just means the police will have to work that much harder to earn the neighbors hearts.

Great detail and interior. I especially like that you have the helipad. No police HQ is complete without one!

I totally agree that it needs more colour, I just couldn't work out what would look best, and I'm seriously lacking in bricks at the moment (all my white is gone and this used all of my light bley) Although I do like the look of the build, it is too dull and square, especially the middle floor.

Any suggestions on ways to bring more colour or texture into it? I could possibly make the front dark tan, but then I would lose my lettering as I don't have any brick w/stud in that colour. I did think of putting it onto a white plate background, which would solve the problem, but that would also make it stick out from the wall more, plus it would then go to solid letters rather than style I have used (which I quite like)

I have added an extra row of bricks to both the ground floor and level 1, which should help with the scale a bit. I haven't put it back in with the other modulars yet though, so not sure how much it helped.

I'm glad you like the helipad, I am very pleased with how that came out

I think it definitely looks out of place compared to the rest. But I do really like the black arches facing the sidewalk on the top floor. I'd suggest less black elsewhere in the build and ssh in another color. I know lack of pieces can be troubling, but sometimes that is the motivation needed to be a better builder. I'd recommend less of the giant Windows on the second floor and use other bricks to break it up a bit. I think too much window space takes away from the build overall. The helipad looks neat, but I like the roof building with the door that comes out to the pad more.

I really love your ground floor! It is really modern and fits well in your city! The police sign looks very good and is weel thought!

But I quite dislike 1st and 2nd floor... There is no harmony between floors.

Your helipad is great and really reallistic!

Thank you everyone for your feedback, it was very helpful. I knew it didn't quite look right, especially the middle door, so I have made some changes

I've added an extra row of bricks to each level, so now the heights match the modular series better. I also reduced the windows on the middle level to three rather than four. And to avoid it looking too odd, I have added external blinds to keep the sun off the windows.

I have also changed the Police sign to white instead of black, and made the frame around the entrance white to make it stand out a bit more. It still needs something though, in the photos it looks too flat at the bottom, though it doesn't look that bad in the brick. I guess photos never do things justice.

Police_HQ_update_zpsaba93884.jpg

Any other suggestions to improce it? I am thinking that I might make it more of a standalone building, or at least have a carpark off to one side for all the police vehicles. Maybe a few covered walkways around it might help with the fact that it looks too square.

I really love the interior details , spot in.

Could the upper floor move up one brick to follow the line of the building to the left to try and math it in more or take ques from its architecture to make a more flowing street?

I like it so only minor ideas / suggestions

Maybe shift to a police sign or signage from a normal city station ?