Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #89: Reclaiming Glory

11157845374_5dfcf7b614_t.jpg

"These are some of the other heroes?" The kobold looks 89's party up and down. "Looks like I made the right choice." The little creature giggles.

Jess suppressed a squeal when she saw Haldor.

"Haldor! So good to see you! Are you as excited to quest together after all as I am?"

I have been well. We were sorting a political situation in R'kilf, it sounds much the same as this.

Game? I did not know this was a game. If it is, it is a game of kingdoms, where staying alive is a win.

"Looks like I made the right choice." The little creature giggles.

"Is that supposed to mean anything, kobold?"

"Greetings, fellow heroes. We are riding on the same ship I see. Let's all try and be tranquil if we meet again on our quests. This whole bridge turmoil may be nothing more than a misunderstanding."

Nerwen stepped between the kobold and the bald raider.

Only that I am better looking than you. Pay him no mind, he is cheeky but mostly harmless.

Tell me. What have you been doing since we last spoke, we hardly got the chance to catch up in the hall.

"Just that you're all an easy read already. Big shots, or so you think. Look at all your clanking armor and silly weapons." The kobold smiles sweetly. "Real power comes from within a person, not what they wear. What have you ever done that's so great, Mr...?"

"Getting to know this Orc and his people's issues with a bridge... I jest. There was something with the Guild. Turns out some bad folk got their hands on Ji Pei tech and caused a ruckus. Dealt with it. Before that... Guffington. We went back in time. Multiple times. Not a pleasant experience. I have been doing what I do. Killing people and getting paid to do it. In the summer there was this thing in Triad Park devoted to your favorites, the Twins. Drinks, music, dancing... You'd have liked it, I'm sure."

"Just that you're all an easy read already. Big shots, or so you think. Look at all your clanking armor and silly weapons." The kobold smiles sweetly. "Real power comes from within a person, not what they wear. What have you ever done that's so great, Mr...?"

The raider shrugged, and threw back: "I've grown taller than the average plantpot and managed to put clothes on, for a start... Kobold, unless you're a good swimmer, I suggest you keep it shut.'"

"Oh. You are a friend of the Guild? And Guffington's?" The kobold stares up at the raider. "I apologize. I have heard that both have experienced trouble recently, and that they have received help from heroes. If you are among those numbers..." the kobold shrugs. "Doesn't change the flashiness of the rest of your party though." He giggles again. "And such a mouth on you."

Edited by Zepher

"These are some of the other heroes?" The kobold looks 89's party up and down. "Looks like I made the right choice." The little creature giggles.

11059402815_f8acbd14af_t.jpg

"We'll see, little sarsuuln," remarked Olmstyr critically.

The kobold only winks at the Orc in response.

"Another snappy dresser!" he says to Tesni out of the side of his mouth.

I have been well. We were sorting a political situation in R'kilf, it sounds much the same as this.

Game? I did not know this was a game. If it is, it is a game of kingdoms, where staying alive is a win.

You're the last person I expected to be this naive. Three Quests, all going the same place? You know exactly where we've seen this before, and you know how well that went.

I don't see you defeating any Goddesses lately, scrawny.

"Oh. You are a friend of the Guild? And Guffington's?" The kobold stares up at the raider. "I apologize. I have heard that both have experienced trouble recently, and that they have received help from heroes. If you are among those numbers..." the kobold shrugs. "Doesn't change the flashiness of the rest of your party though." He giggles again. "And such a mouth on you."

The raider halfs unsheaths Lifestealer. "Flashy or not, one tiny cut from this thing and you're going to be screaming. And I will make that cut. The party Olmstyr has chosen is solid. Overpowered female member, check. Shaman, we got it. Assassin, yup. An uncharacteristically tough elf, yes. Defense oriented member, aye, and ours has a dragon. And then there's me. I'm for support."

I don't see you defeating any Goddesses lately, scrawny.

The raider rolled his eyes at Dyric. "Come on, Rone, that'll just encourage the little bastard."

"I'm encouraged! Heweyrt tells me I'm incorrigible." The nuances of the language clearly are over the kobold's head. "I'm not much for killing Goddesses, though of course if the opportunity arose... but, as I told my lovely party, I'm actually a witch hunter!"

"I'm encouraged! Heweyrt tells me I'm incorrigible." The nuances of the language clearly are over the kobold's head. "I'm not much for killing Goddesses, though of course if the opportunity arose... but, as I told my lovely party, I'm actually a witch hunter!"

I ice over. Believe me, scum. I've met witch hunters, and they were a lot more than you'll ever amount to.

"... but, as I told my lovely party, I'm actually a witch hunter!"

11059402815_f8acbd14af_t.jpg

"Of course. A sellsword. A mercenary. This little sarsuuln evidently serves the Kingdoms. Here to buffer the fat nobles from the dirt and grime of day-to-day life. Listen here. I have no quarrel with you or your party. But if you stab us in the back, I swear you'll come to regret it. Orcs have little patience for traitors or silver-tongued vermin such as yourself."

Olmstyr flexes his fingers, as if to wrap them around the hilt of his sword. But he seemed to resist the urge. Illdria scratched her head.

11059523974_b86fd72dfb_t.jpg

"Let's all take a moment to calm down here, huh? I'm only getting paid to take you all north, not mediate whatever the hell kind of crap you have brewing between you, but I'll toss you headfirst into the Helvetian if you end up disrupting my crew, ship, or Mercutio forbid, me. Got it?"

The captain's eyes slid icily between the orc and the heroes surrounding him, and those of the kobold. The former relaxed. Marginally.

Edited by CallMePie

You're the last person I expected to be this naive. Three Quests, all going the same place? You know exactly where we've seen this before, and you know how well that went.

Nerwen's eyes narrowed. Her voice flat and hard.

I remember Dastan just fine. We were lied to, manipulated and set against one another. Yet good was achieved, the empire stabilised, the traitor removed and the threat of chaos eliminated. And we survived. That is a win. But it was not a mere game. I know heroes that still carry scars and grudges from that night in the square, when the witch threw the infernal device at those he ought have been beside. Good people died for lies, others crushed to gather power. If these think they can do the same again, it will be a nasty shock to them.

"Getting to know this Orc and his people's issues with a bridge... I jest. There was something with the Guild. Turns out some bad folk got their hands on Ji Pei tech and caused a ruckus. Dealt with it. Before that... Guffington. We went back in time. Multiple times. Not a pleasant experience. I have been doing what I do. Killing people and getting paid to do it. In the summer there was this thing in Triad Park devoted to your favorites, the Twins. Drinks, music, dancing... You'd have liked it, I'm sure."

Drinks, music, dancing? It has been too long since I enjoyed each of those. I missed Yavieba, autumnal equinox and the feast night then because of my most recent quest. I expect we will be in the high kingdoms for Grogmas and Yenearsira Winter Solstice, I pray we will be in good company with food and drink and good cheer.

Nerwen looked steadily at Guts as she said this last.

Edited by Chromeknight

Arx's eyes lit up when he saw Benji, and he began tugging on Thormanil's ear again, directing him towards Benji.

"Huh, seems Arx has taken a liking to you, Benji. What'd you say to him in the Hall, trying to steal away my new friend, hm? Hah! Good t'see you here, though."

Arx sits up on Thormy's shoulder and addresses Benji.

<At least I'll have someone I can actually talk to for this trip!>

"Hey there Thormanil, and Arx. Quite a racket they're making, huh? Its almost as if they're trying to cause a fight... well, I'd only participate if I had the opportunity to smash Guts' skull in..."

Benji turns to Arx: <"Hello there Arx. Quite a racket these heroes are making, eh? There is one group of us for the orcs, and one group of us for the humans of the High Kingdoms... these are rivals, to say the least. How much have you understood of the situation, young one?">

Edited by Flare

Nerwen sees a small dragonet sitting on the shoulder of a burly hero. She shuddered, her last encounter with small dragons had been... problematic. She then heard Benji suggesting he'd enjoy a shot at Guts. Speaking again to Dyric.

You will be a voice of reason among your party, will you not? I do not think the light you serve would shine on those who raise arms against those sticking toward the same good ends.

Arx snorts <No need to repeat yourself, I've got a good grasp on your tongue. I've picked up on the fact that we aren't expected to see any fighting, and I'm a bit disappointed. Negotiating sounds so boring. You're with the Kingdoms, right? Sound like you'll be getting into much trouble?>

"Very loud. Been awhile since I last brawled. What've you got against Guts? Never really met the man before."

Jess suppressed a squeal when she saw Haldor.

"Haldor! So good to see you! Are you as excited to quest together after all as I am?"

Haldor's face lit up as he saw Jess.

"Jess, I didn't expect to see you here. Glad to hear you're off to Baltarok too. I'm with the orc-clans, trying to sort-out some troubles over the new bridge, what about you?"

He raises a serious eyebrow.

"I trust you're not here to bash our heads in..."

The nord laughs heartily and pulls his love into an embrace.

Arx snorts <No need to repeat yourself, I've got a good grasp on your tongue. I've picked up on the fact that we aren't expected to see any fighting, and I'm a bit disappointed. Negotiating sounds so boring. You're with the Kingdoms, right? Sound like you'll be getting into much trouble?>

"Very loud. Been awhile since I last brawled. What've you got against Guts? Never really met the man before."

<"Oh, well that's good to know, I wasn't sure how much of human-speak you understood. I think that primarily they want to prevent fighting, however I think that things will be even hotter over there... there'll be some blood to shed, don't you worry! The more trouble the better, is what my old pop always said..."> Benji clicks his teeth in an odd reptilian sort of laugh.

He clears his throat and responds now to Thormy. "The stuck up brute thinks he's better than everyone else, and has a personal grudge against me... so we both hate each other. It's not more than that." He growls and clears his throat again.

Edited by Flare