Sign in to follow this  
Paperballpark

Winter Village: Ferris Wheel (Competition Entry)

This is my entry to the Winter Village competition to expand the Winter Village Market.

I figured that as there's a carousel, there should be another ride too, so I present to you my Winter Village Ferris Wheel.

UPDATE: the gondolas are now different colours/colors, I've also added a circular backing to it, changed the way they're attached, and added a bit more detail (including a little tree!).

Oh and the photos I've taken are better too :classic:

UPDATE 2: There's now photos of it displayed as part of my Winter Village layout on my Flickr account here.

11268208815_d08a133fcc_o.jpg

Fitting perfectly on a 16x16 plate, everyone who goes to the Winter Village Market wants to go on the Ferris Wheel!

11268243736_d8146840e3_o.jpg

The lady patiently waits her turn as the girl pays for her go (things are expensive in the Winter Village Market!)

11268243976_7bb425f892_o.jpg

The attendant takes the girl's money as the lady makes her way into the pod.

11268259114_b3291f2b43_o.jpg

A side view of the Ferris Wheel.

11268260334_e68339118a_o.jpg

The back of the Ferris Wheel, just to confirm it does fit on 16x16. The wheel turns easily, with the pods hanging freely from it.

Larger photos can be found on Flickr here.

It's the first time I've done a Winter Village scene of my own, so I hope you like it. Please feel free to ask any questions, and thanks for looking! :classic:

Edited by Paperballpark

And it begins!

I really like this entry, I love the design of the ferris wheel! I've been trying to design a small version of my own for a MOC.

Great job and good luck :sweet:

-Sci

Excellent entry 'Paperballpark', cool that you have every element of a Ferris Wheel on a 16x16......let the challenge begin. :grin:

Good luck and Brick On 'Paperballpark' ! :sweet:

When I saw the title, I wondered how you had fitted a ferris wheel on a 16x16 base, but this is really cute! Good luck in the contest!

As others said, I'm surprised you fit it on a 16x16. Good luck in the contest!! Love the stair railings with the control sticks

Well done. It definitely sets a good pace for the rest of us. I know of some good ideas for mine, but this will be a good competitor.

I like the use of space. It definitely works well within the constraints.

Best of luck in the contest!

Great entry to kick off the comp!! I'm still trying to decide whether to enter or not... The more entries I see the more inspired I will be and the more likely I am to enter haha....

Great work and good luck! :laugh:

Such a simple, yet effective way to make a Ferris wheel, Paperballpark. Very inspirational. I like how you made the SNOT gondolas.

Good luck in the competition.

/Laka

cute design... i like your idea...

however, if it is open for comment, i'd like to have different color on each cabin...more colorful for holiday season

good luck for the ccontest!

Thanks! That's quite a good idea, I might look at doing that and having a different colour for each gondola.

Yes by all means it's open to comment. In fact I'd rather people say what they think should be improved, than keep quiet and just say it looks fine even if they think improvements could be made. :)

Edited by Paperballpark

Love it! :wub:

I agree with the gondolla colo(u)rs and would like to add, that the orange and blue don't really do it for me (not even on the WV Carousel), but love it none the less.

Brick on!

Thanks both! Yes I'll probably change the red in three of the gondolas to blue, green and (probably) yellow.

The blue and orange colours for the lights were chosen to try and tie it into the WVM a bit - as you say, to have the same kind of 'lighting' as the Carousel.

What's the bank robber doing on a Ferris wheel? And it costs $100!!! lol. I love your entry, this is definitely something they should have included in the WVM set to begin with.

Edited by BrickRally217

I wondered if anyone would notice! Unfortunately I don't have that many spare minifigs, although I suppose I could take some from my other winter village sets once I get them out for this year.

Lovely entry Paperballpark. It is a great addition to the carousel and the 16x16 constraints makes this a really smart build.

Good luck in the contest.

I was sure how you were going to fit a Ferris wheel on such a small base, but great job. It's crammed full of nice detail (I really like the handrail).

Thanks both! I think the standard of entries is going to be amazing this year, so I don't know if mine is good enough (yet), but we'll see! :)

I've now updated this quite a lot, and uploaded brand new photos, which you can see in the original post. :classic:

I definitely think it looks a lot better now, and I hope the changes meet with approval!

It looks really good. I think the people should be seated facing he front but that's a minor quibble. Maybe make the gondolas curvier.

Do you mind if I could use your idea in my city? Of course I will only do it with your permission. Thanks. :classic:

Yes, by all means use the idea in your city layout :classic: