Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

That thing is pretty cool. Not up to the current standards of the looks, but the simplicity of its chassis is awesome.

22 minutes ago, Jim said:

I do have something else in mind for the contest later this year, but I do like this idea.

If something else is supposed to be later this year, then maybe small modular cars for summer contest ? :D

2 hours ago, SaperPL said:

you mean the thread type like the ones in the jeep or specifically the ones from tractor sets, the bigger ones?

All 3 types with tractor profile tires: 56x26, 81x35 and 107x44R

17 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

If something else is supposed to be later this year, then maybe small modular cars for summer contest ? :D

I already feel the vibe for the shrink a set contest :-P

Edited by Jundis

5 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I already feel the vibe for the shrink a set contest :-P

I feel it too :sweet:

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

Well, I guess that's going to be similar to the vibe of studded into studless, but this time it's about shrinking. Would it be about just Technic sets or also others like creator expert (model team)? Asking because I'm wondering if the rule would be to make it studless without model team approach, then for some sets it would become something similar to studless conversion, otherwise we might end up with speed champions-like studded cars...

I've been shrinking two sets before there's even a scent of the shrinking contest.

@Jim Just to make sure, can I enter the contest with two entries?

11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@Jim Just to make sure, can I enter the contest with two entries?

I think it was always like you need to submit one? You can have two threads and decide last minute though.

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

I think it was always like you need to submit one? You can have two threads and decide last minute though.

Unless you have problems with indecision like I do. Then, speaking from experience, do not design two entries with the hopes of only submitting one. It's so hard to pick one.

13 hours ago, Jim said:

As you said we won't limit the contest that much, are there at least some criterias to select a model from? Shrinking must be 80% or less of the original size?

For example original models with 62.4 tires should be redone with 49.5 tires (79.3%).

Studded and studless era allowed?

I think, in this case it would be also OK to rebuild some studded set, and shrinked could be studdless.

For wheeled cars it is really easy, You should use smaller tires and scale everything according to them. Also for tracks the same. You can't use the same size tracks. The same rule could be also applied for propellers. Anyway, forum admin can always have last word.

Also, color scheme should be kept the same (at least some 90%), I think

All ideas for contests are cool, in particular I would like to participate these challenges:
- shrinking official set
- polybag
- 10€ set with requirement to design model A and B from the same parts
Have mixed feelings about another car competition - there are enough car sets from TLG.

I also think that with a more popular contest, voting method could be slightly modified. With so many entries, it's hard to pick just six, which is why many great builds can't rank higher. This was especially visible in TC20 and TC22.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:48 AM, msk6003 said:

@Jim will writing rules but I has another contest idea

We need build car. But car must come in movie, game and toy.

And not allowed model based any kind of real car.

So

Knight rider K.I.T.T is based pontiac firebird - not allowed

Ghost busters ECTO-1 is based classic cadllic - not allowed

Hot wheels Twin mill is not based any real car - allowed

Justice league batmobile is not based any real car - allowed

How about this idea?

The reason why I banned the model based on the actual vehicle is simply that we already make a/have a large amount of the actual vehicle model.

It's also because I don't want to see real cars in simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismo in the name of "vehicle in the game."

Only exception of this rule is concept car. like TV serise batmobile - Lincoln futura.

For car theme, I pulling up this again.

3 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

For car theme, I pulling up this again.

Not a big fan, sorry.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, msk6003 said:

It seems look like homologation rule in WRC. Interesting theme.

Like difference of

This

audi_sport_quattro_1985_0000.jpg

And this

Audi-Quattro-road-and-rally-0.webp

In this theme, we need build two version of same car but both need huge difference like this Audi quattro example. 

For modular theme, I think this will be easier?

I’m hoping for another non-car competition. The shrink one sounds interesting but I’ll wait to see @Jim’s rules before I get my thinking cap on. One of the reasons I don’t like some of the competitions on here is that by default those who make “licenced” / copies of real vehicles normally score higher than fresh ideas

5 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’m hoping for another non-car competition. The shrink one sounds interesting but I’ll wait to see @Jim’s rules before I get my thinking cap on. One of the reasons I don’t like some of the competitions on here is that by default those who make “licenced” / copies of real vehicles normally score higher than fresh ideas

I think I have that covered for the contest later this year :D

I know we are all eager for a new contest, but I hardly see any voting going on. I won't be doing another contest if we don't have enough members who are willing to vote. Hosting and participating in contests needs to cut both ways.

Please vote!

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

Sorry, really busy, will try this evenening

Cool, thanks.

People who don't vote are not allowed to mingle in this discussion :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jim said:

People who don't vote are not allowed to mingle in this discussion

Voted, so I can return here :)

Already ordered some parts for shrinking contest :pir-grin:. Can't wait. But not started to build. OK, only made some sizing. It will be 0.73 for chosen model.

In fact I have done some shrinking already. Not so exact maybe, as contest would need, but pretty close. More like inspiration for some small(er) MOCs.

11 hours ago, Jurss said:

Already ordered some parts for shrinking contest :pir-grin:. Can't wait. But not started to build. OK, only made some sizing. It will be 0.73 for chosen model.

In fact I have done some shrinking already. Not so exact maybe, as contest would need, but pretty close. More like inspiration for some small(er) MOCs.

Has anyone already determined the topic of the next competition?

46 minutes ago, Akassin said:

Has anyone already determined the topic of the next competition?

I already select set. Hope to finish this time.

19 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

I already select set. Hope to finish this time.

I expressed myself incorrectly. I didn't see Jim announce the theme of the next competition. So I'm surprised someone is already ordering parts...
I thought that the choice of the theme of the competition has not yet been determined

5 hours ago, Akassin said:

I expressed myself incorrectly. I didn't see Jim announce the theme of the next competition. So I'm surprised someone is already ordering parts...
I thought that the choice of the theme of the competition has not yet been determined

I haven't placed an order yet, I'm just thinking about it. Because electronic parts are allowed or not is very important to me.