Leewan

Constraction custom parts

Nope, because I feel these two designs are satisfying enough, and I don't see how they can be improved.

Nope, because I feel these two designs are satisfying enough, and I don't see how they can be improved.

Have you tried printing them to get a feel for how sturdy they are? The latter part in particular looks like it might be far too flimsy to stand up to a lot of use. Not that 3D printing would give them the same exact properties as injection molding anyway...

Have you tried printing them to get a feel for how sturdy they are? The latter part in particular looks like it might be far too flimsy to stand up to a lot of use. Not that 3D printing would give them the same exact properties as injection molding anyway...

Not yet, I'll order them (and a couple more parts) when I get enough money. Right now, it's really not my top priority. :grin:

Anyways, I agree, the second one could not be strong enough. I'll see when I get the part. :sweet:

I think I may have found a better design for you to use:

https://grabcad.com/...-hand-concept-1

My only gripe is that they didn't use the Exo-Force arms for the fingers. :P

Oh yeah, how did those other hand models turn out?

Edited by Kamen Rider Kiva

Funny, I know the guy who created this, he's from BIONIFIGS. It's a good design, yeah.

I still need to get them printed. But the more I wait, the more I create new parts, so the more money I need. :laugh:

I like the general design, but what's with the stuff on the back of the hand? Does it serve some purpose that I am blissfully unaware of? Apart from that, I love the slight arc for the attachment points of the "main" fingers and the angle of the thumb.

I think it's just greebling, but you could probably adjust it into one of those double-pin-holes so it could accept armor add-ons.

A package arrived today :

19731359850_bf3134877f_z.jpg

19296779934_c6f0d23d7b_z.jpg

19732814259_9cb570a3f1_z.jpg

19731508630_c01e5502f8_z.jpg

-The torso is perfect. The only issue is that the balljoints touch the top of some armours (the 2.0 and the breakout torso).

-The T-bone is perfect too.

-The ballcup with crossaxle has some issues : the crossholes are too tight, and the crossaxle is too small too.

There are more pics in my flickr gallery.

These parts are impressive. The basic torso might be my favorite, as its height is perfect for a variety of figures that may not merit technic-built torsos.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

ballcup with crossaxle

Seriously why won't LEGO make a part as beautiful as this? Wonderful job Leewan. A little bit of smoothing and they'd look official. I'm actually considering breaking my vow of purist-ism to use one of them.

COME ON LEGO

Edited by Paleo

Thank you all. :sweet:

The basic torso might be my favorite, as its height is perfect for a variety of figures that may not merit technic-built torsos.

It's my favourite too, I think. I've already used it on my Crystal Beast revamp, because I thought her shoulders were too low compared to the chestpiece. The only issue I see now is that it looks a bit too broad, so I might make a 7x10 torso very soon (which may solve the collision issue, BTW : as you can see here, the 2.0 torso armor touches the balljoints).

Seriously why won't LEGO make a part as beautiful as this?

If I had to guess, it'd be because the few sets large enough to need "custom" limbs also need their limbs to be sturdier than a cross axle connection parallel to the limb would allow. If pulling gently on the hand or foot causes the limb to come apart, then it's not a reliable connection, at least not for the rougher sort of action play that constraction sets are expected to sustain.

Granted, the cross axle holes in the sides can be used to "lock" the limb so that it can't simply come apart at the end. Most sets that used the G1 friction joint did exactly that (Krekka's legs being perhaps the simplest example). But if you are willing to bulk up the limb that much anyway, there's little reason you couldn't just use a regular Y-joint (plus a G2 friction joint if you really need the extra friction).

It's also possible there are other problems with that joint that I'm not considering. I know from a response to a suggestion of mine in this topic that the amount of friction of a cross axle or cross axle hole can vary depending on whether or not there's a ball in the ball cup, which might present an issue even if you got all the tolerances right on the mold/print.

Edited by Aanchir

If I had to guess, it'd be because the few sets large enough to need "custom" limbs also need their limbs to be sturdier than a cross axle connection parallel to the limb would allow. If pulling gently on the hand or foot causes the limb to come apart, then it's not a reliable connection, at least not for the rougher sort of action play that constraction sets are expected to sustain.

Granted, the cross axle holes in the sides can be used to "lock" the limb so that it can't simply come apart at the end. Most sets that used the G1 friction joint did exactly that (Krekka's legs being perhaps the simplest example). But if you are willing to bulk up the limb that much anyway, there's little reason you couldn't just use a regular Y-joint (plus a G2 friction joint if you really need the extra friction).

It's also possible there are other problems with that joint that I'm not considering. I know from a response to a suggestion of mine in this topic that the amount of friction of a cross axle or cross axle hole can vary depending on whether or not there's a ball in the ball cup, which might present an issue even if you got all the tolerances right on the mold/print.

That…makes a lot of sense actually. Some variations on the hand would still be nice though IMO.

Oh my, those are wonderful! I could think of so many uses for those pieces. :3 Quick question, though, when can I purchase these mighty fine pieces of excellence? Oh yeah, do you think you could test and see what Gali looks like with that articulated waist joint setup?

Edited by Kamen Rider Kiva

It's also possible there are other problems with that joint that I'm not considering. I know from a response to a suggestion of mine in this topic that the amount of friction of a cross axle or cross axle hole can vary depending on whether or not there's a ball in the ball cup, which might present an issue even if you got all the tolerances right on the mold/print

In the case where the dimensions and tolerances are correct, I couldn't see any difference between this part the official Y joint, since the structure is the same. :wink:

Oh gosh. I need that torso bone NOW. NOW!! :wub:

Haha, thanks. :D

Quick question, though, when can I purchase these mighty fine pieces of excellence?

When I'm sure they're durable enough. I could put them on sale right now, but I don't really want people to buy parts they won't be able to use after a few days (or at all).

Oh yeah, do you think you could test and see what Gali looks like with that articulated waist joint setup?

Sure :

19783165439_322d57e4b8_n.jpg19781879580_6bebe44b4c_n.jpg19347219574_b64f6ae061_n.jpg19781788588_04c6bc32a0_n.jpg19783134889_a015ae8303_n.jpg

I'm keeping her posed like on the last pic, to see if she won't collapse. :grin:

EDIT : Also, here's my Crystal Beast revamp with the new torso :

19783669719_0cf7ff36f1.jpg

19975544861_0555126652.jpg

19782280208_f8a1431a7b.jpg

Woah. Seeing that Crystal Beast makes me realize how useful that torso would be on the Toa. The chest armor just feels too high when using the regular torso, but the extra module in length makes it the perfect size.

The chest armor just feels too high when using the regular torso, but the extra module in length makes it the perfect size.

This is precisely why I designed this part. :grin: But as I said earlier, the top of the 2.0 torso armour (and the Breakout armour too) touches the balljoints, so it doesn't fit perfectly. The ribcage (no pic for this one) and the Brain Attack torso armours are "flat" at the top, so they don't have this problem. The Chima torso armour fits perfectly too :

19296834264_20a95087fb_n.jpg19731384348_e3a70433cb_n.jpg19924540891_c2416f34ed_n.jpg

Now, some may find the head too high compared to the torso. It doesn't bother me that much :

19732726069_a67818431d_n.jpg

Hey so, could you put at least some of these back up on shapeways? They aren't up there anymore and i would LOVEEEE to get some of the parts!!! (if not all)