just2good

Disney Princess 2014 Rumors & Discussion

I can now pre-order them here in NZ, with an expected delivery date of 16th of March. Expect to see them hit shelves around then, or knowing NZ, probably before.

Off topic - we already have the Junior sets for sale here. Anyone else?

They didn't "forget" the antagonists. The Disney Princesses license does not ALLOW antagonists. Once again, Disney Princesses is not an open license to make sets based on anything TLG want from these characters' movies. The sets have to follow the "standards" of the Princesses brand. Conflict is not a Princesses ideal. Disney are very strict about this.

If you want to see Marduk, Shan Yu or Mother Gothel in Lego sets, you're going to have to wait until there are Brave, Mulan and Tangled themes, or at the very least a general Disney theme. It will not happen under the Disney Princesses brand name.

^^^

This is actually true; the Disney villians have their own offshoot line of merchandise.

We can only hope that the LEGO princesses prove to be popular in sales, which should be an obvious indicator to expand to the villians franchise. I think a blind bag set could turn out really fun.

I asked about them in Glasgow last week & the guy I asked had no knowledge of their existence! (Good product knowledge!!)

Hopefully we will be getting them inthe UK though

Oh we will be getting them, check Argos.co.uk :) It's just a matter of when. I'll go check Argos myself now actually

They didn't "forget" the antagonists. The Disney Princesses license does not ALLOW antagonists. Once again, Disney Princesses is not an open license to make sets based on anything TLG want from these characters' movies. The sets have to follow the "standards" of the Princesses brand. Conflict is not a Princesses ideal. Disney are very strict about this.

If you want to see Marduk, Shan Yu or Mother Gothel in Lego sets, you're going to have to wait until there are Brave, Mulan and Tangled themes, or at the very least a general Disney theme. It will not happen under the Disney Princesses brand name.

Oh wailey wailey, you're right! How did I not think o that? Oh bum! How dull. I've just ordered Merida and will hunt down a brown bear to be her Mum, but still. It's not the same.

I don't think it's legal or meaningful for the fact that there have been numerous Disney villains in Lego products before the classic series appear, especially that many existed Lego-Disney theme (if Pixar films count) had nothing to do with princesses. After all, lacking characters or story ideas is not what a Lego product should be, and we can see that the first wave of Lego Disney products didn't do their best.

Honestly I'm not sure how "strict" it is. Mattel Disney dolls is one of the brand that features the Disney Princesses, but they have designed many non-protagonist figures, and it is what Lego have done before. This question would only be answered after more waves of Disney products appear, .

Edited by Dorayaki

An interesting little polybag, I might just have to pick one up. Unfortunately it sort of highlights what I dislike about this theme the most, the faces. I mean the dresses, the sets, are all designed in great detail, but then you get to the face and it's generic to the point where they won't even recolor the eyebrows to match the hair. The only real difference I see between these heads is eye color and whether their mouth is open or closed. To me this theme looks like the characters from the Friends theme are cosplaying at Disney world. I hope future sets try a little harder to capture the face of the characters, I mean is giving each of them facial expressions that match their characters too much to ask for?

Maybe I'm just too picky, but the faces bug me. It's funny that the Simpsons theme has specially molded heads to get every detail of the character correct, but meanwhile in this theme we can't even get correctly colored eyebrows. Oh well...

I agree. If you look at the Duplo Disney princesses, they're actually pretty good in the faces, and yet these ones have just got an existing Friends face. Surely painting a new face couldn't be that high in costs compared to say, new moulds?

But, having said that, minidolls are still quite new. Look at early minifigs compared to now. Even look at the early Harry Potter minifigs compared to the last ones, or the first Star Wars ones to now. I have high hopes things will improve.

Edited by CptPJs

I don't think it's legal or meaningful for the fact that there have been numerous Disney villains in Lego products before the classic series appear, especially that many existed Lego-Disney theme (if Pixar films count) had nothing to do with princesses. After all, lacking characters or story ideas is not what a Lego product should be, and we can see that the first wave of Lego Disney products didn't do their best.

Honestly I'm not sure how "strict" it is. Mattel Disney dolls is one of the brand that features the Disney Princesses, but they have designed many non-protagonist figures, and it is what Lego have done before. This question would only be answered after more waves of Disney products appear, .

There have been Disney villains in Lego products under and appropriate to their specific license and theme. So we got Zerg and Lotso Bear in Toy Story, Barbosa and Davy Jones in PotC. But we didn't get Barbosa or Zerg in Cars sets. The villains go to the license. And "Disney Princesses" is its own very specific license. With a very specific list of characters. It isn't a blanket license for all of the animated movies. This is also why we will not see a Frozen set under the Disney Princess line until Disney formally adds them to the character list as such. None of the villains are on that specific list. Nor are any of the Faeries ala Tinkerbell. They carry their own seperate licenses.

There have been Disney villains in Lego products under and appropriate to their specific license and theme. So we got Zerg and Lotso Bear in Toy Story, Barbosa and Davy Jones in PotC. But we didn't get Barbosa or Zerg in Cars sets. The villains go to the license. And "Disney Princesses" is its own very specific license. With a very specific list of characters. It isn't a blanket license for all of the animated movies. This is also why we will not see a Frozen set under the Disney Princess line until Disney formally adds them to the character list as such. None of the villains are on that specific list. Nor are any of the Faeries ala Tinkerbell. They carry their own seperate licenses.

Each of previous Disney themes are only based on a single story ,as you said. While "Disney" sounds like a collection of themes like DC/Marvel Superheroes, if added "Princess" it's more like a brand of "specific characters", not "stories". Usually doll brands work better since they're not responsible for making a whole collection of characters from the same story (even though some weird villain dolls come out sometimes), and single princess doll can easily target at girls But for Lego toys, they're more about "story" than "character" so they probably don't fit in this idea, unless TLC released a Disney Princess CMF series, which can only focus on "characters". Likewise, I don't think Superheroes really provide no villains but superheroes. :tongue:

And there is Merryweather, and probably more Disney stories would be made, it's difficult to predict other possibilities. Whatever, if TLC and Disney expect to have a longterm cooperation rather than just stop here, the rule of princess doesn't work

Edited by Dorayaki

Why do they not use lego minigures? Seems a bit of a dupe.

Much like the Disney Princess line itself the Lego version of the line is targeted very specifically at roughly 4-12 year old girls. so the target audience more or less parallels Friends. It's basically a doll line, hence they get done in minidolls. Like you I personally would prefer a full Disney range in classic minifigs. But I can understand their decision and logic paths to do it this way. If ever they decide to do a $300 D2C gargantuan Cinderella's Castle set, then we might see it as minifigs, as that would be more targeted at AFOL's and collectors. But these are meant to be young girls toys. A kind of plastic based crack that is dialed into them the way Ninjago is for the young boys.

Why didn't lego get these in usa target/walmart before Christmas? They probably missed some big time sales on these.

Does anybody know when this polybag will be available (in the US)?

I too would like to know! :tongue:

Much like the Disney Princess line itself the Lego version of the line is targeted very specifically at roughly 4-12 year old girls. so the target audience more or less parallels Friends. It's basically a doll line, hence they get done in minidolls. Like you I personally would prefer a full Disney range in classic minifigs. But I can understand their decision and logic paths to do it this way. If ever they decide to do a $300 D2C gargantuan Cinderella's Castle set, then we might see it as minifigs, as that would be more targeted at AFOL's and collectors. But these are meant to be young girls toys. A kind of plastic based crack that is dialed into them the way Ninjago is for the young boys.

Not sure this saying is correct or not. Well, as mentioned before, the Cinderella castle obviously doesn't have the scale as same as many other licesed sets or original Lego Castle or Monster Fighter. If the set designs are over-simplified just because it's a theme based on animation stories. it would lack of potential for a wider market.

And the current problem is the theme doesn't expand as much as other themes do for now (no new sets confirmed this summer so far). As what TLC usually do with other licenses, they can simply provide small sets for kids (Junior Disney? ) and large sets for adults at the same time.

For minidolls/minifigures issue, we can all figure out why TLC decide so, but the current question is how far can minidolls go when there are lots of very different licensed characters with different body shapes. In theory, making licensed minidolls would be more difficult than licensed minifigures.

Edited by Dorayaki

About these sets: the designs are lovely, and I'm sure little girls are already loving them. However, I would never be caught buying Rapunzel's Tower of Creativity for the great parts and look. And dat Pascal. How can I casually purchase this without attracting any unwanted attention? I have the same problem with Friends. Great parts packs for MOCs, but how can I obtain them without making a fool of myself?

About these sets: the designs are lovely, and I'm sure little girls are already loving them. However, I would never be caught buying Rapunzel's Tower of Creativity for the great parts and look. And dat Pascal. How can I casually purchase this without attracting any unwanted attention? I have the same problem with Friends. Great parts packs for MOCs, but how can I obtain them without making a fool of myself?

Who is watching and caring what you purchase in the stores? Also, you could order online and have it shipped to your door if you were afraid of gossip.

I'll admit I was a little embarrassed to be buying Friends sets in store, but after the first time I got over it. I know why I'm buying it and if other people don't understand than that's their own hangup. And most people probably aren't going to question it, and I'd say that the people who do notice will think you're buying it for someone else (I've been mistaken as a parent before, so I get the impression some people just think I'm buying toys for some imaginary kid I don't have). Honestly if you just walk confidently, head held high, than most people won't think much anything about you.

^Great idea. Although I don't have any fear or embarrassment buying LEGO in stores. I think I'm over the whole hiding my hobby thing. Although, I do have a daughter who would love these Princess sets, so I would be buying them for her.

I don't see them changing the minidoll shape for any other figures that may be of a different body shape, only because no other doll manufacturer does so. Usually they have the single template and all fall within that category.

Hopefully they will come out with some new princesses next year. My daughter loves Rapunzel and Merida so those are a must buy, but it'd be nice to see Mulan, Pocahontas, even Tiana, only because they seem to be less popular and of a more heroine type instead of a damsel in distress like Cinderella, etc.

Nobody cares what you buy it's all in your head. It could be for your daughter or niece. If you're embarrassed mumble something about a birthday party you have to go to.

More then likely all they care about is when the next break is.